Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi All,

While I'm not a teacher, I am having my surgery next Thursday March 8th in Monteray, Mexico self-pay! Dr. Rambaut has done more banding surgeries than anyone in the US, Mexico, or Canada and I've been researching him for about 6 months now. I cannot help but to be a bit nervous about not the pain afterwards but more or less what I can or cannot eat..I cannot imagine being full after 3 oz of food per meals..or not drinking Water when I eat...Lifestyle changes will most-def have to occur...I have a lower 34 BMI than most people and wondered if anyone else out here might have the lower BMI like me?? :help:

Thats good to know about the polish. I'll get french tips on clear nails then maybe... Or even just take the polish off before I go in. I can't do my own nails very well though (can't do my own pedicures at all) LOL-- my fine motor skills stink. Sometimes if I am diligent I can keep them up for a while after a manicure though.

I've told a lot of people about my going to get the band-- I'll probably tell more afterward. I'm glad to have a chance to read about complications actually so I know warning signs of various things, etc. I know I won't like surgery, I had an exploratory laproscropy before of my gyencological organs, and I didn't like healing from that (course I was sick at the time too) so I except this will be sort of like that only with something around my stomach too! But I do like knowing what to expect, if that makes any sense. Based on previous experience I know that the DVDs I rent shouldn't be commedies during that after surgery period because laughing hurts with a belly incision stiched up!

My biggest concern about the surgery and complications sort of relates to throwing up, though I have never been bulemic. But I was born with bad GERD. I spent the first year of my life in my car seat because apparently if I slept laying down or got layed down after I ate I would projectile vomit. I still do that on occasion. Its actually pretty cool in a very gross sort of way. And of course I had it growing up even when I wasn't overweight. Stress and other factors can make it worse-- I remember in the grade when I had a mean teacher I used to throw up every day before I got on meds. Then I would eat tums like candy (I really would eat them all the time and didn't think much of it) until my asthma doc put me on prevacid as a teen cause the relfux makes my asthma so much worse.

I know the band usually makes GERD a lot better so I am keeping my fingers crossed for that. It would be nice to have more control over mine and stuff. I'm a bit nervous though that I will be one of those people where theirs gets worse and that I'll start throwing up/refluxing a lot with it and that it will cause problems (its not possible to have both the band the fundoplasty for GERD). But I know that is borrowing trouble, so I'm trying to just focus on the overwhelmingly positive odds that come with being banded!

Today is my last meals type of day. Went to Hardees for lunch. Was very disapointed- the last few times I was there something is always messed up. This time they put mayo on my burger. I really quite dislike it so I always instruct them to not put it on and I make sure it pops up on the screen. Also the fries were overdone and the soda watery... how disapointing! At least I won't be missing that place! Going to eat my Ben and Jerry's too today and some ice cream cake. Ice cream is going to be my biggest challenge. I know that I have to be really careful with it because it can slip right on past the band and that means I have to really limit my ice cream intake. But it is my favorite food. So thats going to be hard. I get that. I'm not going to try and give it up completely. I'm just going to try and limit it much more-- like limit it to a pint a month I think. I think that is a reasonable amount. Its still going to be really hard for me and my husband's support is going to be really helpful with that. Tonight going out to eat somewhere- probably the most healthy meal I'll have all day. The liquid diet starts tomorrow! I'm almost looking forward to it in order just to stop eating the junk food.

I've decided that, for now anyway, only my husband will know. I may decide later to let others in but my "feelers" and my own past beliefs tell me that I don't want to have people's opinions or feelings about this.

My doctor told me a funny story: when I asked him when I could go back to work he said that he advises 5-7 days but that he had one guy who came in for his 2 week checkup and the dr. asked him when he went back to work. The guy said, "I went back the afternoon of the surgery!" The dr. asked him why he did that and he said, "because I didn't tell my wife I was having the surgery!" The dr. asked how he explained the cuts and bruising, etc. The guy said he told his wife he "fell on some bricks." LOL.:biggrin1:

I'm headed to lapband world on March 19 if all continues to go well. Pre-op meeting tomorrow night. Appt. with surgeon March 6. No pre-surgery diet required. No insurance since I'm a self-pay person. So what stands in the way? Lab tests, possibly. My own fears and questions, most likely. But I'm to the point where I feel that I have two decisions: one is to be fat the rest of my life and the other is to have the band. Nothing else seems plausible for me. And since I'm not willing to stay fat, bandland here I come. :clap2:

We're in this together! Good luck to all. Karen

My mind is playing tricks on me. I have a bad day then a good day regarding this surgery thing. My husband and child are very supportive. My other family members (father, mother & sisters) are not nearly as supportive. Remarks by my father have made me rethink this surgery several times. I know it is just a very difficult time for any prospective surgery candidate, but I wish I had not shared my surgery date with them. I think they are suffering with their own comfort level having me as the "fat one."

Fellow banders, please share your experieinces with me. I need some support at this time.

Oh yeah, I am not sure who asked me but I want to reply. My insurance company is United HealthCare. My physician is Dr. Stephen V. Hamn.

Heartsmile,

I believe that the support of you husband is the most important support one can ask for. This is the person who Chose to promised to be there for the good and the bad. I don't know what I would have done without my husbands love and support.

Well, I'm finally a member of an "official" board: MARCH 2007 bandsters!

Dr's office called yesterday, I had a choice of dates, March 7th or 14th. Even though I've been studying and getting all my pre-op testing done since November, next week seemed too soon! So the 14th it is!

My DH, mom and sister know about the LB surgery. I asked my boss yesterday for 4 days off work to have surgery for female problems. He put his hands over his ears and yelled, LA LA LA, can't hear you!

It's the office manager that will be asking all the questions. She is strongly against any WLS.

I'm sticking to my story that I need to have a cyst removed from my ovary.

My office co-workers know I've been watching what I've been eating and exercising, so that has set the stage for the weight loss to come!

I suppose the reason I'm going to all this trouble to hide it from work is deep down inside, by having this surgery, I feel like a failure that I can't keep weight off and can't stop myself from eating two double cheesburgers and fries.

Two weeks to go till surgery, still a bit anxious and nervous, but happy and hopefull also.

Thanks for listening.

You are so right, he has been an angel and will be right by my side during my recovery. He has even promised to walk with me and change his diet once I am able to eat solids. Too bad everyone coule not be as supportive. Makes you wonder sometimes.

Lucky you getting banded in Plano, I'd love to be insurance pay but don't have the higher bmi or hypertension to justify it via the insurance. I live over in Plano too so we'll have to sync up and keep in touch afterwards to motivate each other...I'll start working out the week after I return..i hear we'll have allot more energy which I'm TOTALLY ready for!

Hey, speaking of nails..I want to do that too. Why do I think that you are not allowed to wear nail polish into surgery? Am i imagining that? Please respond because I have to get a manicure /pedicure for your same reasons Kyethra. Beautiful pic of you by the way.

Hey Sue I love that age 2 and 3!!!

I love teaching kindergarten even on the worst of days!! I am taking a week off before our week off for spring break so basically two weeks.

I really think that will be enough!!!

The no nail polish is for the anesthsioligist (sp?) they use the nail bed to keep an eye on how much oxygen you are getting, like a back up...I could be wrong but pretty sure it is something like that.

Weather here in Texas is warm and sunny today too hope it stays that way for awhile.:clap2:

Plano Texas Girl, I live in McKinney which makes us close enough to stay in touch. I will need a friend to have those yummy protien shakes with during the spring time. Are you banded or are you waiting to be banded?

Well, I'm finally a member of an "official" board: MARCH 2007 bandsters!

My office co-workers know I've been watching what I've been eating and exercising, so that has set the stage for the weight loss to come!

I suppose the reason I'm going to all this trouble to hide it from work is deep down inside, by having this surgery, I feel like a failure that I can't keep weight off and can't stop myself from eating two double cheesburgers and fries.

Congratulations on your date!:clap2: I completely know how you feel about not wanting to tell everyone about this surgery, because deep down, I am having the same feeling about not being able to take the weight off by myself. I have decided that if someone asks me I'm just going to tell them the truth :) "diet and excercise". Because bottom line is, it will be ME who gets up off the couch to ride the bike or go for a walk. It will be ME who puts the fork down after enough food. No one else is going to do it for me!! :yell:

I have suffered through the comments from family and co workers about "exercisign some will power" or "look how broad that beem is getting" to know that they will not be supportive of my decision! :phanvan Sad but true!

I told my doctor about my concerns about telling people and he told me that "throat surgery" has the same kind of liquid diet requirements for recovery. So, I have "set the stage" at work for the wieght loss with a throat surgery story. :guess I can feel your pain!