Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Caffeine ZZZZzzzzzzz!

Surgery is almost 2 months away, but I decided to start knocking out some of my vices. All will have to go, so might as well get going. Sunday was my first day without my favorite caffeine source, Monster Energy. I have had a 3 a day habit for a few years now. Yeah, I know that's terrible. I got down to 2/ day and Sunday was the first day with none. Mild headache all day, but not too bad. Still headachy on and off today, but totally do-able. Next: carbonation, ibuprofen and smoking! one day at a time ;)

Relate big time. My surgery is Nov. 14. I'm off of cigarettes. Seeing a stop smoking lady at the hospital. Will be off of the nicotine replacement system next week.

I'm suppose to be off of caffeine. I'm still drinking it and not recording it. I'll be honest and tell them, though.

Good luck! Quitting caffeine has been the hardest part of the surgery for me. I depended on it to focus in school and now I'm completely floundering in a hazy brain fog.

When I was post op I used to drink sugar free redbulls everyday just because I could. I don't think they even worked anymore. I used to drink them before workouts and they didn't push me to go harder or help increase my time spent in the gym. I often would become a zombie get sleepy and then wanted to take a nap. I don't miss them at all. Good for you on taking it one vice at atime. You will do great.....

good work, and these changes are HARD. Ummm, don't put off cutting off cigs... Many (most) check for nicotine in the blood and do NOT do the surgery if positive (and it's positive if you've been smoking in the last month.)

I'm in the same boat!! Red Bull is my vice and can't seem to function without it! I am also stopping cold turkey on the cigs!! Today is my first day with both!! I hope I don't try and ripe someone's head off!!!! I know all of this is for our health!!! Good luck!!

I quit caffeine about a month back and I had awful headaches. I probably drank 6 diet cokes a day, at that point I swapped to caffeine free diet coke. I kept regular around until I was past it. If I got one of the horrible headaches I would take excedrin Migraine and a couple of sips of the caffeine and that usually did it. It took me about 5 days to get all the way off. Today will be day 3 without the carbonated drinks. I have been working on quitting since I quit caffeine. I started diet sprite and diet orange, which I don't like to get me away from the diet coke. I went down to 2 a day pretty easily and have had 1 a day some days... but that addiction was/is a strong one. It ranks right up there with quitting smoking which I did 5 1/2 years ago. I even told the surgeon that I was a diet cokaholic. I'm hopefully having surgery in October and didn't want to deal with any major withdrawals when the time comes.

I took the 3-month supervised diet time to wean myself off of caffeine & carbonated sodas. I gradually replaced regular coffee with Decaf until it was all decaf. I used a "cold-brewed" Toddy coffee maker & it took about 7 scoops to make it about once a week. It took nearly two months but I never had a caffeine withdrawal headache nor problems with staying awake mid-morning as I would before if I didn't have that coffee. As for the carbonated sodas, first I replaced diet cola with caffeine-free diet cola & diet root beer & then had only one a day instead of two, then one every other day, etc.

I used Chantix 4 years ago to quit my 40-year smoking habit. It did take about 3 years before I no longer had any urges to smoke. It's hard to explain but, even now, there are times I miss it even though I have no desire to smoke.

Thanks, all who have commented. Day 3 so sleepy! Well it's not as sleepy a feeling as it is, foggy, spacey and weird. He'res my advice so far: give up caffeine before you give up motrin! Tylenol just wasn't helping with my headaches. Motrin kicks the headaches ass!