Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone GAIN weight and still got insurance approval?

Has anyone gained weight during their supervised weight loss program and still got approved for the VSG?

I am in my 4th month of a 6 month supervised weight loss program that is required by my insurance and every month I gain 2-4 pounds. I am up 12 pounds total and I am super nervous. Not sure what is going on with me mentally but for some reason I just can't stay focused. Before I truly had no problem being successful at losing weight, my problem was I would always gain it back. But for some reason the last four months I am continually struggling with losing it period!!

I know I can turn this around in the last two months but I just don't want the insurance company to turn me down based off my past efforts!

sorry i dont have an answer for you but i hear you on this one i am about to have my 6th and final weigh in on sept 21. at my lasat visit i had gained 5 lbs. So im up 6 pounds in total from where i started. Im dieting like a madwoman this next two weeks to show i actually can lose weight good luck to you

Has anyone gained weight during their supervised weight loss program and still got approved for the VSG?

I am in my 4th month of a 6 month supervised weight loss program that is required by my insurance and every month I gain 2-4 pounds. I am up 12 pounds total and I am super nervous. Not sure what is going on with me mentally but for some reason I just can't stay focused. Before I truly had no problem being successful at losing weight' date=' my problem was I would always gain it back. But for some reason the last four months I am continually struggling with losing it period!!

I know I can turn this around in the last two months but I just don't want the insurance company to turn me down based off my past efforts![/quote']

My insurance company is United Health Care, and although I had to see my Primary Care Physician (PCP) for 6 months, I didn't actually lose any weight. Well, actually I lost 10 lbs the first month (using Sensa), but gained it back in months 2-3. I was approved anyway. But I have 3 serious co-morbidities, so maybe that was the deciding factor.

What is your insurance company's requirement? Your surgeon's insurance coordinator should be able to tell you. Give them a call.

I lost 10 the first 3 months and put 10 back on....still havent got my approval letter yet....keeping my fingers crossed

No idea as my insurance did not require a supervised diet. My doc asked we lose 10-15lbs over 2 months. I have been able to do that. I think you need to look closely at what is making it hard for you to get focused. I know from others here, you need to be purposeful and planful with the post op diet. Those who struggle the most, usually say loss of focus is the problem. They have neglected logging and tracking food. That may be the hardest place to start. I know I had logging that I had 3 oreos but I make myself. It keeps me honest

sorry i dont have an answer for you but i hear you on this one i am about to have my 6th and final weigh in on sept 21. at my lasat visit i had gained 5 lbs. So im up 6 pounds in total from where i started. Im dieting like a madwoman this next two weeks to show i actually can lose weight good luck to you

Good luck to you as well!! You can do it! Keep me posted on how things go

My insurance company is United Health Care' date=' and although I had to see my Primary Care Physician (PCP) for 6 months, I didn't actually lose any weight. Well, actually I lost 10 lbs the first month (using Sensa), but gained it back in months 2-3. I was approved anyway. But I have 3 serious co-morbidities, so maybe that was the deciding factor.

What is your insurance company's requirement? Your surgeon's insurance coordinator should be able to tell you. Give them a call.[/quote']

I have 2 serious co-morbidities so that may help me as well! Thanks for your input makes me feel a lot better.

After talking to my PCP after the weigh in, she says not to worry because she has other patient who has done the same but I think it bothers me so much because I know I can lose weight and its my mental that is hindering me

I lost 10 the first 3 months and put 10 back on....still havent got my approval letter yet....keeping my fingers crossed

That's good! At least you showed them that you can lose it! Praying you get approved soon, keep me posted

I did! My insurance (United Healthcare) required a 6 month supervised diet, and my surgeon required a 2 day liquid diet pre-op. I yo-yo'd during the six months, but overall I gained rather than lost. The liquid pre-op took a few pounds off, but not much. Insurance still approved me, and the coordinator basically told me that it's pretty typical for people to not lose or even gain. As long as it's supervised, that was all they cared about.

I did find it ironic that it was supervised by the surgeon who wanted to perform surgery (kind of a conflict of interest there), but insurance assumes that the doctor is ensuring that I am eating healthy, tracking my food, and exercising. None of which happened (or only happened sporadically), but nonetheless - they approved.

I believe there is a HUGE mental battle that happens when you are crossing over from "thinking about" to "SERIOUS about" having the sleeve. There are so many parts of your mind and soul that wants to lose weight and be healthy, but the other parts are afraid. Afraid of the change, afraid of pain, afraid of the what ifs. And afraid to admit you have got to the place in your life where you know the only option left for you is surgery. But once you cross the hurdles, once you commit yourself over to what you know has to be....it gets easier. It's about surrender. Knowing this time you need help, acknowledging you got to this place. I started seriously thinking of surgery in June. I learned I had vascular damage in my leg that was never going to go away. I was in pain and I was scared. My vascular doctor told me that eventually it would get much worse. For a few weeks I had a pity party for one. I looked into going on disability. But then I searched my heart and soul. I had gained weight and was up to 316lbs. If I gave up, went on disability that would be it for me. I would never get the weight off. I would get worse. My pain would be more than I could handle. That was my turning point. It was kind of like "A Christmas Carol". A saw a future that was grim, one I did not want to live. So I gave myself over to knowing I had to get the weight off. I made up my mind and have not changed it since. I started changing my eating patterns as of August 1st (lots of Protein, little carbs. Low calorie/fat) and so far I have lost 19lbs. I haven't really "exercised" but I am able to be more active as my pain levels have dropped. I guess my long winded post is to say that once you are at peace totally with what you are doing, I think you will find it is a lot easier to make the changes you need.

I did! My insurance (United Healthcare) required a 6 month supervised diet' date=' and my surgeon required a 2 day liquid diet pre-op. I yo-yo'd during the six months, but overall I gained rather than lost. The liquid pre-op took a few pounds off, but not much. Insurance still approved me, and the coordinator basically told me that it's pretty typical for people to not lose or even gain. As long as it's supervised, that was all they cared about.

I did find it ironic that it was supervised by the surgeon who wanted to perform surgery (kind of a conflict of interest there), but insurance assumes that the doctor is ensuring that I am eating healthy, tracking my food, and exercising. None of which happened (or only happened sporadically), but nonetheless - they approved.[/quote']

Thanks! This makes me feel a lot better! I was really nervous.

I believe there is a HUGE mental battle that happens when you are crossing over from "thinking about" to "SERIOUS about" having the sleeve. There are so many parts of your mind and soul that wants to lose weight and be healthy' date=' but the other parts are afraid. Afraid of the change, afraid of pain, afraid of the what ifs. And afraid to admit you have got to the place in your life where you know the only option left for you is surgery. But once you cross the hurdles, once you commit yourself over to what you know has to be....it gets easier. It's about surrender. Knowing this time you need help, acknowledging you got to this place. I started seriously thinking of surgery in June. I learned I had vascular damage in my leg that was never going to go away. I was in pain and I was scared. My vascular doctor told me that eventually it would get much worse. For a few weeks I had a pity party for one. I looked into going on disability. But then I searched my heart and soul. I had gained weight and was up to 316lbs. If I gave up, went on disability that would be it for me. I would never get the weight off. I would get worse. My pain would be more than I could handle. That was my turning point. It was kind of like "A Christmas Carol". A saw a future that was grim, one I did not want to live. So I gave myself over to knowing I had to get the weight off. I made up my mind and have not changed it since. I started changing my eating patterns as of August 1st (lots of Protein, little carbs. Low calorie/fat) and so far I have lost 19lbs. I haven't really "exercised" but I am able to be more active as my pain levels have dropped. I guess my long winded post is to say that once you are at peace totally with what you are doing, I think you will find it is a lot easier to make the changes you need.[/quote']

Thanks Roo. It is a mental struggle and I just need to accept my truths an push forward.

I'm seriously thinking that nobody really cares about the pre-diet. I know the surgeon doesn't as most of them will do the surgeory very quickly if you're self pay. The insurance doesn't seem to because I bet there would be a lot less surgeries if you really had to lose weight.

Honestly, I'm starting to think the pre diet is some kind of scam.

My 3 month prep period (whay my insurance calls it)was a joke...

Required :

3 month documented exercise program

Meet w nut once a month.

Documentation from my primary doc once a month about me discussing weight loss surgery

And a physc eval

Doc told me to join a gym and check in once a week at least so at the end I can get paperwork from gym saying my check in time.. He even said I don't have to work out if I don't wanna... Just go check in lol

My nut was in his office and I would go in once a month and she would say something like.. Okay next month try to eat less carbs.. I would come back and she would say Ohh You gained weight (bc i did) but I'll put you ate less carbs bc u did right? With a smile... Then document that... And then tell me to drink less calorie drinks... Then I'd come back and she'd say... Ohhhh you drank less calories, right? Then document that..

The dr I used was suggested by my surgeon... So she would ask me a few questions ab the surgery in 5 min.. And say ok.. I'll document we chatted ab vsg.. Then I'd leave..

Then dr recommended physc eval... It was same thing.. He asked me easy 10 questions then said good luck with surgery!

I gained 8 lbs at the end and my dr said... Oh no prob.. We just send in your starting weight....

So don't stress! You'll be fine!

I'm also in my 4th month of my 6th month diet. I've lost 8 pounds, but only because I came down with Mono in July. Now that it is September, you'd think that I'd be healthy again, but I'm having low grade fevers every night (99.5 - 100.5), still have very little energy, and am throwing up at least once or twice a week. I'm beginning to worry that if this illness doesn't resolve quickly, that I won't be able to be sleeved at all. If I throw up again, my doc says that she will send me to a GI doc to figure out what else might be going on. I don't know, but something's gotta give!