Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

14 days out and wow! What an experience

Today is 14 days post op, and this is my first post since surgery.

8/20 I was the last patient of the day scheduled at 5:30, didn't go in until 7:30. When I woke up the only thing I could feel was fire. I was expecting pain, but it literally felt like my insides were on fire. Not pleasant. It was a VERY long night, but I managed. I was discharged the next day at noon.

The first 3 days were very rough, pain was bad, gas pains were brutal, my stomach was very inflated and I couldn't get comfortable to save my life. Forget laying down flat. The pain in my chest and stomach just trying to swallow Water was excruciating. I managed.

By day 4 the pain was minimal and I was up and about doing normal household things, but I tired easily.

By day 5 I could drink a little better without so much discomfort. But god forbid I take a sip and then laid down. In fact, sometimes the only way I could stand to drink was walking around. Being vertical felt much better than horizontal.

By day 7 the swelling in my stomach was greatly reduced and the pain was gone, except the occasional twinge. I started walking regularly a couple times a day just around the yard and neighborhood, and have tried to stay active, stretching and moving some small weights around with upper body, no problems there. Again, I just tire easily. I've followed the liquid diet to the letter, and week 2 I started full liquids. Soups hurt if I'm not careful. Water goes down easily now. I'm basically living off Protein Shakes and Isopure clear drinks, broth, and the occasional Soup with unflavored Protein added.

I'm never really hungry, but I do know when I need to feed my sleeve - I start to feel slightly nauseous in my tummy or an acid feeling. A little bit of protein, it goes away. Im managing 60-80oz liquids and most days I hit 70-80 grams protien. I am so glad I've done this, but the first week was hard! Harder than I expected and I thought I had a grip on the situation!! lol, the things we tell ourselves....

So I got on the scale today and I'm down 17 pounds. I almost freaked. I re-weighed myself a dozen times, and the number was the same! I also took full body pictures of myself, which I had not yet had the bravery to do.

So today is a great day! I feel really good physically and mentally, I know I'm doing what I'm suppose to, and the weight is coming off. Its a beautiful feeling!!

Thank GOODNESS you gals posted. I am almost a week post-op and have been wondering many of these things. Thank you for sharing!

Today is 14 days post op' date=' and this is my first post since surgery.

8/20 I was the last patient of the day scheduled at 5:30, didn't go in until 7:30. When I woke up the only thing I could feel was fire. I was expecting pain, but it literally felt like my insides were on fire. Not pleasant. It was a VERY long night, but I managed. I was discharged the next day at noon.

The first 3 days were very rough, pain was bad, gas pains were brutal, my stomach was very inflated and I couldn't get comfortable to save my life. Forget laying down flat. The pain in my chest and stomach just trying to swallow Water was excruciating. I managed.

By day 4 the pain was minimal and I was up and about doing normal household things, but I tired easily.

By day 5 I could drink a little better without so much discomfort. But god forbid I take a sip and then laid down. In fact, sometimes the only way I could stand to drink was walking around. Being vertical felt much better than horizontal.

By day 7 the swelling in my stomach was greatly reduced and the pain was gone, except the occasional twinge. I started walking regularly a couple times a day just around the yard and neighborhood, and have tried to stay active, stretching and moving some small weights around with upper body, no problems there. Again, I just tire easily. I've followed the liquid diet to the letter, and week 2 I started full liquids. Soups hurt if I'm not careful. Water goes down easily now. I'm basically living off Protein shakes and Isopure clear drinks, broth, and the occasional Soup with unflavored Protein added.

I'm never really hungry, but I do know when I need to feed my sleeve - I start to feel slightly nauseous in my tummy or an acid feeling. A little bit of protein, it goes away. Im managing 60-80oz liquids and most days I hit 70-80 grams protien. I am so glad I've done this, but the first week was hard! Harder than I expected and I thought I had a grip on the situation!! lol, the things we tell ourselves....

So I got on the scale today and I'm down 17 pounds. I almost freaked. I re-weighed myself a dozen times, and the number was the same! I also took full body pictures of myself, which I had not yet had the bravery to do.

So today is a great day! I feel really good physically and mentally, I know I'm doing what I'm suppose to, and the weight is coming off. Its a beautiful feeling!![/quote']

Hello well i have my surgery this month on the 27 just reading different people experiment on out life changing from day to day can you tell me how you really feel

I'm 17 days out and was feeling pretty good. Think I over did it

the last 2 days now I have a bad pain on my left side. Remember not to lift over 10 lbs for 4 weeks!!!

I have surgery on the 18th of this month... My son is almost 8 months old, little over 20lbs.. I'm gonna really need help I see! I took 5 days off from work. Now I'm rethinking...

I am 11 days out.

My surgery was the first one scheduled for the day on August 26th. I don't remember much because I was on a morphine pump. The next day I was quite uncomfortable after they removed the pump. At that point I was only getting vicodin every 6 hrs. I had a hard time walking because everytime I got up I felt like I would pass out. By the 3rd day at the hospital I was walking more. I was discharged by 1pm.

My first week at home consisted of lots of sleep and sipping on fluids (mostly with protein). I was very, very sleepy. I often felt very light-headed. If I exerted myself at all, my heart would beat right through my chest,

On the 8th day I went to see my PCP for a post-op appointment and found out my oxygen saturation was only 84% and my blood pressure was 84/54. They did an EKG and a CAT scan and found nothing. When they redid my vitals they were back to normal. Since then I feel a lot better. I have more energy, I'm not sleeping as much, I haven't gotten light-headed.

My only issue I still have is if I go up a flight of stairs I have to lay day for a few minutes because my heart-rate spikes. It was never like this pre-op. I'll be addressing this with my surgeon on Monday when I have my first post-op appt. with him.

Oh btw, I am down a total of 44lbs. 23lbs lost prior to pre-op diet. 15lbs lost during pre-op diet. 6lbs lost since surgery.

Keep up the good work! And thank you for posting this! I'm 3 days out and feeling exactly what you were feeling the first few days. You're inspiring! It's so helpful to read how others are overcoming the discomfort and progressing as the days pass. Keep posting your progress please!

I had surgery the 29th, the only issue I had right after surgery was nausea that resolved by the next day..very minimal pain, now none....I never experienced gas pains thank goodness...,I'm still on Clear Liquids which I'm not having any trouble with.....I see my surgeon on the 10th and will get to advance yeah....I'm down 18lbs since surgery

Good morning all :)

I'm glad to hear you are all progressing pretty well. I am just starting my classes with Kaiser. Hoping for a January surgery date.

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago April and I'm expecting alot of the same "pain & gas" issues after the sleeve surgery.

How long was/is everyone off work?

I am a RN in a busy ER so I decided to take off 9 weeks for 2 reasons....I want to be completely healed and recovered with no chance of complications before I return And most importantly I would like to become comfortably with my maintenance phase to make it easier to go back to work because of the hours and shifts that I work.....but that's just me

I am a RN in a busy ER so I decided to take off 9 weeks for 2 reasons....I want to be completely healed and recovered with no chance of complications before I return And most importantly I would like to become comfortably with my maintenance phase to make it easier to go back to work because of the hours and shifts that I work.....but that's just me

Girl I envy you! I'm a PACU RN and had to go back 10 days post op and wow! I wish I would have been able to take off longer. Enjoy that time.