Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on the 26th. Since coming home on the 28th I have felt very full on the Protein broth, pudding, and shakes from my doctors office. Now, all of a sudden today I am HUNGRY and LIGHTHEADED. I'm getting 64ounces plus of Water so I'm sure it's not dehydration. Has anyone else experienced this? I felt so comforted by the fullness and lack of hunger before. Thanks.

oh yes. soon you will be dreaming of the food you want, but can't have. I think we're on such low rations, that it's not unreasonable or unhealthy for our bodies to start feeling hungry a few days after post-op. It's logical, and it's what keeps us from dying of starvation. Your body is doing what it needs to in order to flag you down and get your attention. That too is normal.

I do get hungry now, but it's reasonable hunger. As in, "It's been 3 hours and I only ate two ounces then so OF COURSE I'm hungry type of hunger, not the "I think I'll have a piece of cake for funsies" type of hunger. It's a "FEED ME NOW!" vs. a "hmm. what sounds good?" And that's a good thing. Don't stress about it.

I thought I'd be in the group of "not feeling hungry until 12 mths", but no, I'm in the other 50% - the ones that felt hunger almost immediately (actually it took about 12 days to feel hunger).

While I can only eat 4-6 bites at a time ( 7 1/2 weeks out), I'm hungry again 90 minutes later. I'm sposed to be eating 3 meals by now, but I'd starve it I did that. I counted up my few bites + my Protein shake and if I ate 3x a day, I'd be getting about 400 calories. Far too few to live for very long. So I eat 7-8 times a day. Sometimes just a few bites of cheese will tide me over. Since I started eating regular foods the past couple days, I'm going to start keeping Jerky and almonds in my purse for quick Snacks (preventing me from the Taco Bell drive thru for refried Beans - those are 3 meals in that little bowl). I'm definitely a cheap date now!

So, yes, about 50% of us have actual hunger. Some will say it's stomach acid that it's not possible to have hunger. I know what stomach acid feels like plus I take a ppi 2x a day. And I know what hunger feels like. I feel like I got ripped off, that they left the Ghrelin (hunger hormone) in there...

I thought I'd be in the group of "not feeling hungry until 12 mths"' date=' but no, I'm in the other 50% - the ones that felt hunger almost immediately (actually it took about 12 days to feel hunger).

While I can only eat 4-6 bites at a time ( 7 1/2 weeks out), I'm hungry again 90 minutes later. I'm sposed to be eating 3 meals by now, but I'd starve it I did that. I counted up my few bites + my Protein shake and if I ate 3x a day, I'd be getting about 400 calories. Far too few to live for very long. So I eat 7-8 times a day. Sometimes just a few bites of cheese will tide me over. Since I started eating regular foods the past couple days, I'm going to start keeping Jerky and almonds in my purse for quick Snacks (preventing me from the Taco Bell drive thru for refried Beans - those are 3 meals in that little bowl). I'm definitely a cheap date now!

So, yes, about 50% of us have actual hunger. Some will say it's stomach acid that it's not possible to have hunger. I know what stomach acid feels like plus I take a ppi 2x a day. And I know what hunger feels like. I feel like I got ripped off, that they left the Ghrelin (hunger hormone) in there...[/quote']

Lol! You know, part of me is suspicious that they didn't remove anything and just poked a hole in my belly button. Lol! I can eat about a bread plate's worth of food and then get hungry again about 60 to 90 mins later. I'm in week 4 now. Please, somebody tell me this goes away....

I wonder that too.. I am a week out today.. Already eating about 1/2cup at a time.. Getting hungry on a schedule.. Seriously if it don't sound like an alien coming out of my belly when I eat I would swear they just poked holes in me then sewed me back up..

Hi, I was sleeved on July 15th, and I drink a lot of Water and measure my food as well. But lately I been getting hungry. I bought 100 calories Snacks and sometimes that won't help. And so far I have lost only 20 lbs. :-( I feel depressed.

oh yes. soon you will be dreaming of the food you want' date=' but can't have. I think we're on such low rations, that it's not unreasonable or unhealthy for our bodies to start feeling hungry a few days after post-op. It's logical, and it's what keeps us from dying of starvation. Your body is doing what it needs to in order to flag you down and get your attention. That too is normal.

I do get hungry now, but it's reasonable hunger. As in, "It's been 3 hours and I only ate two ounces then so OF COURSE I'm hungry type of hunger, not the "I think I'll have a piece of cake for funsies" type of hunger. It's a "FEED ME NOW!" vs. a "hmm. what sounds good?" And that's a good thing. Don't stress about it.[/quote']

For some reason the "I think ill have a piece of cake for funsies" statement made me giggle out loud. Thank you!!!

I thought I'd be in the group of "not feeling hungry until 12 mths"' date=' but no, I'm in the other 50% - the ones that felt hunger almost immediately (actually it took about 12 days to feel hunger).

So, yes, about 50% of us have actual hunger. Some will say it's stomach acid that it's not possible to have hunger. I know what stomach acid feels like plus I take a ppi 2x a day. And I know what hunger feels like. I feel like I got ripped off, that they left the Ghrelin (hunger hormone) in there...[/quote']

Maybe since you are only 71/2 weeks out things will continue to change for you? Yesterday I totally forgot to eat and today I couldn't stop thinking about it! Ugh!!!

Hi' date=' I was sleeved on July 15th, and I drink a lot of Water and measure my food as well. But lately I been getting hungry. I bought 100 calories Snacks and sometimes that won't help. And so far I have lost only 20 lbs. :-( I feel depressed.[/quote']

Ok, I am newer at this than you but I'm wondering what is in your 100 calorie Snacks? I'm thinking we should have Protein first right? So maybe if the 100 cal snacks are carbs then they won't help your hunger?

Just chiming in to say that I was sleeved on Aug. 22 and I have had hunger every single day UNTIL today. Today is the first day that I have felt any difference in my pre-op hunger. Also, my doc says that once we get to solids, it will get much better. (I know some of you are on solids and still hungry, which sucks, but I'm holding out hope that my hunger-gone feeling today will hold). Otherwise, like you guys, I feel totally gypped. From what I can tell, this sleeve thing is just like being on an 800 calorie diet where I have to track everything that goes into my mouth and I'm hungry all the time. What's the difference from pre-op? Again, I'm hoping that it changes for all of us who still experience hunger...

I was sleeved on August 19, and I've had hunger pretty regularly. However, it's not the "I-have-to-have-a-huge-meal-right-now" hunger I used to have pre-surgery...although I think sipping on a Protein shake throughout the day helps that!

My primary issue with food pre-op was eating when I was bored, not necessarily hungry. Now that I'm on purées and it takes me about an hour to eat 3 Tbsp., mealtime is no longer something I look forward to. Not because I don't like the flavors (I am so digging egg salad right now), but because of how long it takes and how even a slightly too-big bite can cause pain, it's just something I have to do rather than wanting to, if that makes sense.

GardenGirl, I was also sleeved on the 26th and I'm so happy I found you! I've been looking for someone with my surgery date. I started to think I was the only one on the planet who had surgery that day. :)

I can tell you that the first few days I had that full, not even interested in food, get it away from me feeling. After that, I was more like, "Somebody better bring me a damn burger before people get hurt."

The thing is, I have two teenage boys who subsist seemingly solely on burgers and every time they eat in my presence I actually don't think it sounds appealing at all and have no desire to even take one bite.

I think a couple things might be at play here, but I'm no expert. Just going by personal experience and reflection. I think our bodies were dealt a pretty big shock and those first few days after surgery our brains were focused solely on healing. That was a huge distraction for our minds. At least for me, eating was such a habit that now that my brain has come to terms with the surgery and set my body on the path to healing, it seems like I've been missing out on something and need to get busy stuffing my face. I'm quite behind schedule. ;)

In other words, I think a lot of it is in my head. It's tough for us especially right now because a liquid diet is THE most unsatisfying thing on the planet. It doesn't hit any of our pleasure centers the way "real" food does. I agree with those who say moving into solids will be helpful, even if I'm just going on faith. I'm not so much missing the food. I'm missing the experience, the crunch, the tangibility of something with texture and layers. That is *definitely* mental, but I find that if I sit and think it through, I can ride the wave and get past it. It's a bit like quitting smoking which I also had the pleasure of living through. If you can count to ten and then ten again it passes, you get distracted and live to fight another day. I just repeat the mantra, "this is not forever, this is going to pass." Over and over again.

Sometimes I get hung up on thinking it will be this way forever and it bums me right out. Reminding myself that this is temporary and necessary for success, it gets easier to deal with my hunger. I will be able to eat "real" food that I enjoy again. I'll just be in a better place and will have a healthier relationship with those foods when I get there. Reminding my brain, if you will.

As to being light-headed, you're not overdoing it are you? I find that I feel so good some days I tend to push myself more than I should and then I end feeling dizzy and shaky. We are still healing and still relatively close to surgery date so make sure you're not doing loads of strenuous activity without taking plenty of rests. I'm very active and that's been a challenge for me. I don't want to rest. I want to sweep the kitchen, rearrange my home office, run a marathon and possibly become a backup dancer even though I got no rhythm. :)

Anyway, I hope at least a little of this long winded rant helps you. I'm around if you need a shoulder. Just pm me and I'll be happy to lend an ear.

Best of luck and I'll be sending good juju your way!

I wonder that too.. I am a week out today.. Already eating about 1/2cup at a time.. Getting hungry on a schedule.. Seriously if it don't sound like an alien coming out of my belly when I eat I would swear they just poked holes in me then sewed me back up..

OMG I'm not alone!

I woke up today and noticed that that familiar hunger isnt half as bad as it has been. I wonder if I'm turning a corner..... God' date=' I hope so![/quote']

I know I did. I went from dreaming about food to not so much. This whole journey is interesting In that things change so much from day to day, that what you think/feel today is no guarantee of the next day. Just have to be very flexible about things.