Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I work at PetSmart as a bather so I regularly handle 50lbs+ very rarely do I get small dogs. I'm figuring with healing time I'll be out of my physically demanding position for roughly 2-3 weeks. I'm currently struggling with do I tell my store manager I'm having surgery and will need 2-3 weeks off, or would it be better to have a family member call the morning of my surgery and say I had to have emergency surgery? I don't believe in being dishonest but I have been at this job for less than 1 year, and with being short handed just don't know how willing they'd be to let me have the time off. Thoughts?

You should be honest and let them know. It will give them time to adjust their schedules while you're gone. If they aren't understanding then look for a job while you recoup after surgery.

I would be off for at least a month , trust me bending, kneeling, and stooping is not going to be easy in 3 weeks.

As a manager I would prefer to know as I would have notice and could plan around it rather than get surprised the day of and have to figure out on the fly. I would tell them :)

I too am a store manger. You should make them aware of medical procedure, you do not need to be specific as to what you are hung done . I know you said it was not quite a year, but you should qualify for a either an FMLA or short term disability leave (unpaid). But at least they would be required to hold your job. Calling out on such short notice, will leave them in a bind especially if they have grooming appts lined up.

I too am a store manger. You should make them aware of medical procedure' date=' you do not need to be specific as to what you are having done . I know you said it was not quite a year, but you should qualify for a either an FMLA or short term disability leave (unpaid). But at least they would be required to hold your job. Calling out on such short notice, will leave them in a bind especially if they have grooming appts lined up.[/quote']

most of the time if you haven't been with a company for a year you might not qualify for FMLA. i work for a group home where i do light cleaning/cooking/laundry and i was told i will probably be out for 3-4 weeks as i won't even be able to lift laundry baskets/pots/etc. but my job also doesn't let you go back unless you're cleared for no restrictions.

i would talk to your boss, and if they don't have a definite answer, call your human resources person. from there, see if you qualify for short term disability or FMLA. if not, ask if they will let you come back with limited restrictions and give you a more sedentary job like register or floor sales or something where you're not really required to lift crazy heavy things. maybe even just answering phones or something? sometimes they can be flexible like that. but don't just call in blindly, they'll definitely be less willing to work with you. also, they cannot fire you for a medical reason/leave, but they can technically "remove" your position. if you have any questions, let me know, i've dealt with a few employers with surgeries. i'm pretty seasoned on it. haha. good luck!

I'm figuring with healing time I'll be out of my physically demanding position for roughly 2-3 week

I have a 20# restriction for four weeks. Do you know what your surgeon does? Does your work require a note to return? Do you know what the minimum guidelines are? At 2 weeks a 50# dog would probably be pushing it.

I'm a nurse and I'm not telling work..but I will be off 4days after surgery

Sent from my iPad using VST

I'm a nurse and I'm not telling work..but I will be off 4days after surgery

If you work in a hospital this is not a good idea not to tell anyone,and going back after 4 days is NOT SAFE because the pain of just walking will not be the same and your body does need time to rest.

I don't work in a hosp..my boss who is also my friend knows..

Im planing on taking two days off. If everything goes well we shouldn't have a problem.

You will need two weeks minimum! After surgery you'll be weak and in lots of pain. You'll need time to rest and recoup. Not to mention you'll need time to learn how to eat and use your new stomach.