Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EPIC FAIL ON THE PRE-OP DIET!

I'm sorry if you think I was "rude" or "mean" or whatever, but getting 85% of your stomach cut out of your body for the rest of your life is pretty serious frickin' business. I originally met with a doctor about getting WLS in March of 2010. I "chickened out" and went back and forth for over two and a half years before getting down to serious business. It looks like readyforchange2013 had MONTHS to get herself together for surgery (based on the timeline she has in her signature) which looks like is tomorrow. I don't care if it was your birthday, your wedding, or the day you won the lotto, you are going to go through one of the most significant events of your life within hours, you better be ready for total 100% life change and dicipline, cause it's coming. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but someone getting this done needs straight talk as well as all the positive well wishes and high fives. As most of you know, this surgery isn't for the faint of heart and for those of us that have been super successful you know it was done through the hardest work we have ever put in and the most strict of discipline you will ever partake in. I know it's easier said then done but if you are getting WLS that means that your health and well being are in danger. Ask yourself, do I want to live or die, because that's the choice you are going to have to make. Things like your birthday celebration dinner are going to have to take a back seat if you want to see REAL significant progress. You get out of this what you put into it, there's NO two ways about it. If anyone tells you otherwise they are either lying to you or aren't doing the right things themselves. If you half ass your doctors orders then you are going to get half ass results. There is absolutely NO reason someone can't reach goal here if they do all the right things, barring some serious medical issue or whatever. Again, sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm just trying to keep it real.

I understand the whole keeping it real but how you came across was like your gonna fail period point blank ppl have their moment of weakness and you saw yours before surgery happen and then you went back when you were ready maybe that's what she needs to learn all in good time and if she does fail that would be on her because she didn't do what she needed to do bit she says she is back on track and doing great that was her turning point. I get positive and negative all the time but never told I am going to fail. I am only one week into my pre op and I've already lost 9 lbs and I told the Dr I wasn't paying attention and took a bite of my Soup before I strained it and I realized and strained and that was it he said your body is use to you eating and you will forget or be caught up into something and accidentally take a bite but it wasn't me failing it was me doing what I normally do and my successful part was realizing what I did and stopped and sounds like she did the same as well. You were 400 and now your in your 200 that's wonderful its healthy to be positive and to be firm but all in good ways of doing so. Good luck to all.

Pre op diets suck , if you can make it 28 days without food why not 60 ,lol..... I hate the pre op diet. I hope I never have to do one in my life again. I had a 2 week pre op diet and I did cheat a couple of times. I lost 32 pounds pre op,and now I'm doing ok . Lets face it eating and drinking after surgery is a lot easier. Good luck.

I have been reading post about people giving up on this site because of the negative comments that they have received and now I understand their frustrations. We are all here for a purpose and we all got to this point because of one thing (food) I think. We are bound to fall but as long as you dust yourself up and get back up, you will be alright by God's grace. We need to be uplifted and encouraged not be put down cos a bunch of us has been thru that all our lives and being told that we are going to fail is the last thing we all need to hear. As much honest and direct as you sound, you are not helping the situation. Would you tell a cancer or HIV patient to just stop fighting for their lives or stop taking their medicines because they are going to die anyway? It's not what you say, it's how you say it. In this case, it's not what you post but how you post it. We need positives not negatives and save the rest for talks with your kids.

Big Frank, you did an amazing job with a difficult diet. I applaud your success!

We are all very different.What works for one doesn't for others.

One of the reasons for having this surgery is removing the source of Ghrelin, the hunger hormone.

None of us and anticipate before surgery how this will feel after surgery.

I've found there are many ways from point a to point b. We all have our own path.

It takes nothing away from your hard work that someone else does it differently.

Do some of you have reading and comprehension problems? This poster posted a subject titled EPIC FAIL ON THE PRE-OP DIET!!! It's not like she posted a casual topic saying how she slipped up and I went and attacked her saying she was going to fail. Again, not all feedback is going to be congrats and back slaps. Straight talk is also needed. I wish her the best and hope that now that she had surgery that she takes this seriously as it should have been at the start of the pre op diet. This goes for anyone about to get a VSG. Do your best to work out all of your issues before surgery, you will be much more successful I'm the long run. Again, I can't stress this enough, you get out if this what you put into it.

Do some of you have reading and comprehension problems?

Ouch frank! Dude what's wrong did someone steal your jelly filled? :P

I'm all for "straight" talk but crossing the line to direct insults is quite another. Dude you are crossing the line....

By the way people, stick to the pre op, its not just a "diet" that you can "cheat" on. It's serious business... For a serious surgery!

Oh good read here...

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/78443-the-pre-op-diet-is-not-a-punishment-its-an-opportunity/

Thanks everyone for the feedback HOWEVER, Frank's comments don't make nor break me!! He can say what he wants. I know what I'm capable of but I do understand why many have left this site due to ignorance such as this. NO matter what my title was/is or maybe....all that you said was truly uncalled for. I am home now and resting. No pain and ready to start my new life of the losers bench! Good luck to all!

My nurse said something the first time I met with her..."we will give you the tools to make this a success, you will have a team of dedicated people here to help you every step of the way..however...if YOU choose to eat the junk and not follow the plan, you will fail your tool. The pre op diet serves multiple purposes. If your not able to follow it, it may be an indication that your not 100% ready for this tool just yet. You'll fail your tool before the tool fails you!"

This left a huge impression on me but also forced me to look at myself and really decide if I'm ready for the discipline that BigFrank speaks of.

Next week I finish the final appts to submit to ins. I've never been so ready in my whole life, but I can safely say that one year ago I wasn't ready to give up the food. I've made my peace with it and I'm ready.

I think if you are sticking around these boards for a certain amount of time you have to have thick skin. Although I didn't "cheat" on my preop diet I was emotionally unhappy and it was 1000 times harder for me than after surgery. There are statistics out there that show a certain percent will gain their weight back. It's up to each person. But I don't think what she did puts her or anyone like that in that classified column of failure. I worry a lot more about those that are eating full taco bell quesadillas a week after surgery until the point of vomit over those that nibble a bit on a preop diet. I don't think any of us can predict anybody's behavior after surgery. Franks best point is that you get out of it what you put into it but most of us already know that or should know that! :D

Gomekast, it is a lifetime change. The preop diet sucks and the reason you don't want to cheat is mostly for your liver shrinking. Doctors have different rules and lengths of time for the diet. The higher the BMI tends to have longer preop diets. Mine was 10 days and that was hard, no doubt. But if we think about it we are having the surgery for a reason and food is one of those. We are starting a lifelong journey on the preop diet and it's not all sugar and spice because food was our outlet and enjoyment. It is well worth it, though! I have zero regrets.

Now, for the OP, congrats on your surgery and welcome to the losing side! I hope it all went well!

Thanks everyone for the feedback HOWEVER, Frank's comments don't make nor break me!! He can say what he wants. I know what I'm capable of but I do understand why many have left this site due to ignorance such as this. NO matter what my title was/is or maybe....all that you said was truly uncalled for. I am home now and resting. No pain and ready to start my new life of the losers bench! Good luck to all!

While Frank could have picked better words to express himself I think it's important to note that he could have just not posted at all. What he said wasn't pretty but it was correct. Personally, I consider it a blessing to have people in my life that will kick me in my pants when I need it.

Many of us, being who we are, sugarcoat things when we shouldn't.

I cheated with one scrambled egg and mashed potatoes with Protein Powder twice. Now that i'm almost there I've kinda lost my appetite!

The poster described eating a gyros sandwich, then doing it again, that goes beyond taking a nibble in a pre op diet. Hopefully she got it out of her system and now that she is sleeved is ready to take this seriously. You were given a second chance in life, don't waste it. Good luck.

I start my 2 week diet on september 9th. I plan to go full bore (no cheating.) The way I look at it, if I follow what was given to me, I have a better chance of not being the 1% that don't make it. I have 4 kids and a wife that depend on me being around. I don't want to screw anything up.

With that said I am not so nervous about the surgery, but I am starting to get a little nervous about the diet. I have done the Protein shake in lieu of the meal a few times before, and have had success, but when I quit the weight comes back on, this time the stomach will be much smaller when I quit... Maybe the nerves will kick in when it gets closer to the surgery date (september 23).

I enjoy reading everyones stories including the ones that seem rude, sometimes it takes a kick in the ass to keep us motivated.

I had a cookie today, cuz i was exhausted at work, But I find saying rude things to people helps the hunger A LOT, try telling a couple people to shut up...but in moderation!!! Lol, OAN, just blame it on the hunger, if people know that you're on a pre-op diet they'll usually give u a pass!!! Hahahah