Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MARC ZARE PEOPLE UNITE :D

Hey thought I'd start a thread I've noticed a few of you today. I had my surgery last year but I see several people in process right now and one newly sleeved!

Tell your stories :)

Perhaps we can follow each others progress in this thread?

Awesome Laura! Thanks for starting the thread.

Right now I am dealing with quitting smoking. I have decided this is going to be the hardest part. Tomorrow will be D-day for me and my cigarettes. I will need all the support I can get.

Awesome Laura! Thanks for starting the thread.

Right now I am dealing with quitting smoking. I have decided this is going to be the hardest part. Tomorrow will be D-day for me and my cigarettes. I will need all the support I can get.

You got it! I'm all about helping anyone quitting cigarettes!

For me quitting soda was just about as hard I was a hard core coke zero addict!

New Zare patient here, pretty excited to be starting the process and i'm quite confident in his ability. However, I need to start mentally preparing myself for post-op life and start making changes to improve my recovery after the surgery/transition into a different eating style. Right now, i'm in the pigging out stage because I know i won't be able to eat like this ever again. Would love to get advice for those who've been through the surgery about the pre-op diet, surgery and changes you made afterwards. Appreciate any insights or advice. Thanks

I think the first thing you need to do is not go forward with the thinking that you will never have a certain food again!

Yes we have to change our ways after surgery but I am able to eat a little bit of anything!

I don't normally, but if there is a special occasion or meal I can have a treat sometimes.

As far as the food funerals???

When I knew I had a date I went to the store before my pre op and picked up a pint of some kind of ice cream (can't even remember the flavor how sad) went home and ate half of it that night and finished it the next day.. After I ate it?? Nothing, it was just gone it didn't feel special it didn't make me feel better, in fact it did nothing for me except make me feel crappier about myself. And added to the weight I needed to lose.. Fast forward to today, I can eat normal again so if I wanted a bit of ice cream I could.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't sabotage yourself with thoughts of "I need to eat this now because I can never have it again"

Oh the pre op diet Zare will take care of that for you and provide the shakes, it's two weeks I think?

You will go through all of the stages of food after that he has spelled out for you.

Now I'm on all foods but I eat a lot different than I used too.

Mostly Protein and veggies.

No more rice bread and Pasta..

mentally preparing

mentally preparing

mentally preparing

That's the name of this tune! The prep stage is to start to make the changes that you'll need after the sleeve. It's easier (for some? most?) to "ease in" rather than hit a date and SLAM on the changes...

...stop smoking, ...cut out carbonated drinks, ... reduce caffine, coffee, ...stop grazing at every WaWa (7-11), ... increase activities...

and "food funerals" are just your mind being a devil...

Went to an early prep meeting last Januaryand was soooo sad that I just could not eat anything I wanted any time I wanted to... so I got over myself and started with the changes I HAD to make and by June's surgery I was well prepared, and determined. I am still determined because MY mind is a devil of a devil ...

And you know what??? Being in control is pretty damned cool.

Who or what is "Marc Zare"???

Marc Zare is Dr. Marc Zare, bariatric surgeon in San Jose, CA.

Good Morning Laura :)

I already want to kill someone. I have a ton of anxiety and wish I could sleep through the next three days. I am taking it hour by hour. I have been on here reading posts trying to keep myself occupied.

You are super sweet to check in on me. I will give you more updates later.

Hi everyone! Another Dr. Zare patient here. :) I was sleeved on August 19, and am happy to share a few tips for the new Zare patients!

I can't stress enough to begin making lifestyle changes as soon as you can before your surgery. I saw Dr. Zare in May, and was already 98% sure I would be having the surgery sometime in the summer (my insurance is great, and I was an excellent candidate. I had been researching weight loss surgery & the sleeve for a few years so I didn't have any hesitations). Anyway, even though I knew in June that I would be having surgery in August, I also went through a phase of eating like I would never eat again. I work at a bakery on weekends, and sugar is my kryptonite...we would have extra cupcakes at the end of the day, and I would bring a bunch home. It's insane how many cupcakes I could eat in one sitting. I was frustrated with myself because of course my brain knew that I needed to get my act together, but I wasn't following through.

Anyway, on July 26, I decided to watch a food documentary on Netflix called "Hungry for Change," and no joke, something clicked inside of me. I loved this film. It inspired me to put on my walking shoes and go for a multiple-mile walk right then and there. From then on, it's been no looking back. I slowly changed my eating habits, and even began doing a Protein shake for one meal a day to ease my way into the 10-day pre-op liquid diet that I knew was on the horizon.

The sooner you can begin making these major changes that you'll have to make post-surgery, the better off you'll be. Also, cannot stress enough the importance of FOLLOWING THE PRE-OP liquid diet. I hate to get all caps-y there, but it makes me batty to read of people on these boards telling others that it's "okay" that they cheated on their pre-op diet with PB&J, Italian food, and all-you-can-eat sushi...?!? Dr. Zare is the expert here, and in my mind, what he said was law. No cheating! You will not die of hunger. Promise. :) I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but it's worth it, and you owe it to yourself and your health to follow the plan. I lost about 20 lbs. pre-op, and it makes the surgery a lot easier for him (no fatty liver in the way!)

Every victory you have—doing a little more exercise each day, sticking to your pre-op diet with no cheating—will make you feel like a superhero in the end! It's HARD to exercise when you're overweight, and it's HARD to stick to a liquid diet when food has always been in control. But when you do exercise and when you do stick to your diet, you will be so proud of yourself & how strong you are! It's a BIG DEAL to do these things, especially the liquid diet—all of my (very fit) friends at work constantly told me "There is no way I could do what you're doing. You're amazing." That was great to hear!

Anyway, I'm always available to answer any questions about Dr. Zare via PM if you need support. He's a great doctor and you're all in very capable hands! Congrats on the start of a whole new life!

Good Morning Laura :)

I already want to kill someone. I have a ton of anxiety and wish I could sleep through the next three days. I am taking it hour by hour. I have been on here reading posts trying to keep myself occupied.

You are super sweet to check in on me. I will give you more updates later.

Kill someone? Haha glad you don't know where I live!! :P

I remember telling my husband to just let me sleep through the pre op diet.., I couldn't imagine quitting something like smoking too..

It's going to be hard yes. Nothing about this process is easy, but it's all worth it, trust me.

Sometimes I take a step back and realize just how lucky I am. Think about it. We are doing this!

Do you know how many people that would LOVE to have this chance? And can't for whatever reason, insurance, money etc...

Not to sound corny, but we are truly blessed.

You can and will do it :)

Thanks all, this is good stuff. It's funny how everyone sort of went through this eat like there's no tomorrow stage. Clearly, it's your brain trying to mess with you. I know my appetite and taste will change and i probably won't enjoy some of the stuff i enjoy afterwards. I will say eating without feeling like i must clear the plate will be a welcome change. Also lol at the food funeral phrase, never heard it before but that's pretty much what it is.

Also thanks Stacy for the advise about starting early, I really do think it's better to start practicing some of the changes like eating healthier, eating slower, not eating and drinking before surgery and i'm really going to make an effort so I'm not surprised after the surgery.

Im a dr Zare patient also and was sleeved Aug. 13th so far so good. My highest weight was 283 and my surg weight was 271 and as of today im 239!! 6 weeks out and 44 lbs down. Feels amazing ????