Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi Dionne.... happy your back even though youve joined that banded mob and left me to fend for myself.... ive got no friends:cry

Anyway in 2 weeks time i'll be joining you. Ive been sitting here writing out cheques for various doctors etc.... im going to be broke.

congrats on a smooth op dionne now you you have too make sure you give yourself time to heal properly just rest up housework will be there long after us:clap2:

Congrats Dionne, everything you describe seems normal to me- and Bronnie, we are all waiting for you, ready to greet you on "the other side"

I cant wait to join you all.... 13 days to go and counting. I stood at the mailbox today with a envelope in my hand containing a cheque for the anaethitist. I stood there and paused and said to myself.... this is really going to happen now, no pulling out!!!

Hi Everybody, Dionne how are you feeling today? The first week is a bit uncomfortable in terms of tummy soreness etc. The little weight watchers icecreams give you a bit of comfort though.:biggrin1:

It was so hot today and I forgot I had a band and I chugged down some cool Water really fast!:) I didn't feel any adverse effects from doing it, i just forgot to sip it. I have been chugging Fluid for 36 years so the habit might take more than 3 weeks to be broken. Have any of you guys forgotten to sip and have chugged water? I have not had my first fill yet, so I guess I won't be able to do that after the fill. Am I an idiot or just forgetful?

I need advice from the old time bandsters!:)

Susannah

Hi Susannah, I find when I am super thirsty, I can drink about 250mls of Water in one go and then I am satified (did this not to long ago tonight actually!), I guess I could call it chugging - but not anything like I used to do! I've never had any issues, I just swallow it in smaller mouthfuls. I'm pretty sure that drinking water won't stretch your pouch, its likely to run straight through the stoma to your "big" stomach. I may stand corrected by some one who knows a bit more on this though!

Just an update from me, I think I may have to postpone my next fill appointment (it was scheduled for the wednesday after next). I had a smaller than normal (band normal for me anyway!) Breakfast and lunch today and was SOOOOOOOOOOO full all afternoon. My man can home from work and wanted an early dinner, I couldn't even face it. I had no appetite what so ever. A very strange feeling for me, because even before this fill, I still felt those hunger pangs every now and then and I was having a small snack (a few rice crackers or a petit miam yogurt) at around 10 and/or 2pm some days. There was no way I could have even thought about that today! My band seems to finally be doing its job :clap2: YAY!!!

What a great Thread, it is good to read what you have all been up to. Makes me realise how many people in melbourne do have the band. I bet there are at least 10 people you pass every day with the band. How lively it is in here and also in the Victorian Banding Group www.health.groups.yahoo.com/group/VictorianLapBandingGroup it is as if everyone in Melbourne is banded.

But that is great. even if I was size 8 I would still want to have my band, it is great to have so much control over yourself.

Hey Meredith, That is really good that you have good restriction. Sounds like you might not need that fill after all just yet. I can't wait to get under 100 kilos. That is my half way measure of success. I can't remember when I was under a 1oo kilos.:)

Hey Colleen, good to see another Avenue bandster posting here. There are a few of us now. Mr Crosthwaite was my surgeon.

Susannah

Hey Susannah,

yeah tell me about it, those agencies are always looking for ppl....i know a girl that gets called everyday and shes only meant to be doing 3 days a week...lol

Just take it easy and try not to lift to many little bubbies like i did:)

Oh i just realised there was another page.....im a numnut:p

Hey meredith,

it does feel good when you get restriction but it took me a while to get used to it! I can only manage liquids at breakie, mushie stuff at lunch time then more solid in the evening. SOme times I will only have about half of what I measured out and feel absolutely full- this took me a while to adapt to it jsut seemed impossible to believe that such a small amount of food could be right! more headwork was needed

As for gulping Water, I used to have to watch that- getting a lot of fluds in a day has never been a problem- I have always drunk at least 3 litres a day- When I used to work on the medcal wards with clients on 1 litre Fluid restrctions i often used to think that I would not cope in that situaton!

Gulping accidently has caused me some dscomfort at times but these days I can get away with a cross between a gulp and a sip. I always have a drink bottle hangin off my wheelchair.

HI Bronnie

13 days and counting! it must be seeming real now! Sounds like you are a bit excited and nervous now- remember that being anxious before surgery is common. Even second thoughts at times- just keep your eyes on the prize though!

I just realized, you are paying the anaesthetist pre op, I have never heard of that being necessary here in aus

Karenb... yep the anaethitist that workds with Dr Nottle has a $600- fee that the patients pay pre-op. I really hope i get some back.

I also am up for $2500- this week to the surgeon....

You should get some( if not most) of the anaesthetist stuff back, as for the $2500 for the surgeon, i am guessing that is a gap- don't those gaps hurt! Don;t for get to keep records as you can claim some of it on your tax ( it used to be any medical expenses over $1200- not sure what the current minimum is).

Its a lot of money to hand out but it is a good investment

Hi All,

How's everyone doing?? Bronnie not long now, I bet you are feeling alot of mixed emotions now. Hows the Optifast going? Meredith you are just powering along, you will be at your goal in no time. Hi Sussanah, how are you doing now, are you still on mushies and what are you eating for that.

My wounds are starting to heal now, but that bloody shoulder pain just keeps hanging around. Have been feeling really nauseous last couple of days and almost like I have a stitch pain, is that all normal. I am craving something other than liquid I'm so over Soup, jelly, custard etc , another week of this any suggestions, I just can't stomach the shakes at the moment.:faint:

Mum is here for another week and then she leaves on Sat 3rd, I hope I feel better then. In the middle of all this my son is having some auditory processing issues and the peadatrician is trying to get me to put him on Ritalin, he is not adhd and thank god I have the schools support but we are wondering if we need to move to get him some better facilities as Qld is pretty Sh.t (excuse my french but really cross):) , I know some of you are in the field any suggestions here!!! I want to move back to Melb but hubby dosen't and it's not really practicle right now.

Anyway thats my whinge I would appreciate any input.:help: