Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does it never just not work?

Ok...strange post with a strange ? Is it possible my surgery just didn't work? I had VSG on the 15th and have felt great other than a little gas in the beginning. Now I can eat, drink and have no problem with sugar at all. I can drink 4 oz at a time no problem. I had about 3/4 can of chili for dinner followed by a handful of m&m's. I am just so worried after all of this I won't end up loosing weight.

You've eaten m&m's at just 10 days out? That is not good. You should just be on liquids, right? You don't want to tear a hole in your stomach. Remember why you did this. The gastric sleeve will not work if you make bad eating decisions. I don't really know what to say. Good luck.

Do you never feel "full"? My surgery is not until Sept 16, but the doctor said I will feel full after a tablespoon or two of food. I'm not sure sucking on m&ms is a good idea since they are chocolate.< /p>

Your stomach will still be numb and still in recovery. So you won't feel it if you are doing any damage....but as the numbness passes, you will start to feel the restriction.

So whatever eating plan your surgeon gave you, get back on it today and stick to it. We all have different programs according to what our particular surgeon dictates - but I haven't seen one that recommends or even allows m&ms 10days out!!!

Please rethink what you are doing now - you have had major surgery and your stomach is nowhere near healed so piling food in just won't help. You need to eat good Protein to help with that process. Sugar was part of the reason why you got where you were, I presume, so why do you want to go straight back to where you were Pre/sleeve?

This will work for you, but please, please follow the advice you have been given. And just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should....

Good luck, you made a great decision being sleeved - don't blow it by making poor choices now.

Yes I was full after dinner. It's strange about sugar cause my dr said eat and drink milkshakes if I new wanted to because at this point we r taking in so few calories. So for instance I only ate 1 egg foe Breakfast and was full but I tjink I just freaked out a bit that my "new" stomach could hold that much chili and that I can drink so much at one time. I hear people say they can't take a tablespoon of anything and at first I thought I was lucky to feel so good and be abke to eat and drink. Then I started to stress out that what if my appetite goes right back to normal. Thanks for even having tjis conversation with me. I am probably just stressing for nothing

Just saw ur latest post. - sucking on them????What I said stands - u will increasingly feel the restriction so stick to the amounts u r being asked to eat, purée and liquids. Trust me, as u move on to solids u won't be looking at m & ms lol!

I appreciate the responses. I guess I should ask for exact portion sizes allowed. Everything I have says listen to your stomach and stop before too full etc... so I know the m&ms sound horrible and I shouldn't have had any. I am still fighting old habits of night snacking and bored eating etc... thanks for hearing me out.

I'm only 5 weeks out and in my first couple weeks I had a few cheats and stressors but I have gotten back on the wagon to making healthier choices. Don't feel bad about eating or sucking down a few MM's its just natrual after a surgery like this to want to test your limits. I'm sure others have done worse ,I know I did. I had the craziest thoughts after my surgery, even though I could see the scars I still thought that nothing was ever done. I kept telling myself this surgery is not going to work on me. A few weeks ago I was stressing pretty bad over things,and since then I have picked my pride back up ,and I continue to make better choices. Yes it is hard and doesn't really get easier when you are feeling down. If you are like me I have been an emotional eater my whole life everything was about food if I was happy, food if I was sad, had a bad day, food,and more food.... So don't think you are the only one with doubts, you are not alone. Just keep fighting the struggle and I'm sure you will love the results. So far with combined pre op and wls I'm down a total of 50 pounds. :)

Thank u. That really helps because I'm sitting here thinking what is wrong with me? And worried I have blown it already.

I'm only 5 weeks out and in my first couple weeks I had a few cheats and stressors but I have gotten back on the wagon to making healthier choices. Don't feel bad about eating or sucking down a few MM's its just natrual after a surgery like this to want to test your limits. I'm sure others have done worse ' date='I know I did. I had the craziest thoughts after my surgery, even though I could see the scars I still thought that nothing was ever done. I kept telling myself this surgery is not going to work on me. A few weeks ago I was stressing pretty bad over things,and since then I have picked my pride back up ,and I continue to make better choices. Yes it is hard and doesn't really get easier when you are feeling down. If you are like me I have been an emotional eater my whole life everything was about food if I was happy, food if I was sad, had a bad day, food,and more food.... So don't think you are the only one with doubts, you are not alone. Just keep fighting the struggle and I'm sure you will love the results. So far with combined pre op and wls I'm down a total of 50 pounds. :)[/quote']

50lbs! Yay for you :)

The nice thing about it is that's it's never too late to do the right thing for yourself. But to answer your question, yes, there are times it just doesn't work, and those times are when we don't make the right choices. They didn't operate on our brains, and the reality is that we have some very hard work to do. We have to conquer our habits and stressors and head hunger in order for the surgery to really work. For me, it's a lifelong battle, one that I will have to fight every day. Someone on the boards once said to me, just because you CAN eat it does not mean you SHOULD eat it. Simple but wise words. So, just know that you are in charge, the sleeve can help you, and you can do this! Good luck as you work to figure out what your secret to success is :)

The nice thing about it is that's it's never too late to do the right thing for yourself. But to answer your question, yes, there are times it just doesn't work, and those times are when we don't make the right choices. They didn't operate on our brains, and the reality is that we have some very hard work to do. We have to conquer our habits and stressors and head hunger in order for the surgery to really work. For me, it's a lifelong battle, one that I will have to fight every day. Someone on the boards once said to me, just because you CAN eat it does not mean you SHOULD eat it. Simple but wise words. So, just know that you are in charge, the sleeve can help you, and you can do this! Good luck as you work to figure out what your secret to success is :)

Chic, I'm with you 100%. My surgeon said that he can give me a small stomach, but I still need to do the work... that I can defeat the sleeve if I want. I doubt if M&Ms will ever be on my plan...

I'd also suggest you measure out your food to 1/4 c or 1/2 c and stop eating when it's finished. As some have said, your stomach is likely numb and you may not feel the restriction, so measure out the food and restrict yourself. Good luck!