Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of the best lessons my Sleevilla has taught me to date.

Save the best bite for FIRST because it's highly unlikely I will get to eat it if I save it for last!

I "blame" a lot of my weight issues on my previous tendency to make big luscious meals, pile my plate high and then save the best bites for last, ensuring that I will clean my plate.

I've always done this, from my first PB&J (eat around the crust first, from the driest bottom side, all the way around the edge to the squishy under butt of the crust and then circling around to the fattest middle filled with squishy deliciousness), to a pan of brownies (eat all the gooey, slightly under baked middle first, saving the crispy edges for last). I had a method of gluttony for eating everything (green bean casserole, push most of the crispy onions to one side to be enjoyed in the last crunchy salty bite) and the last bite had to be eaten no matter how stuffed I was. After all, it was the best bite, right?

Never did I consider simply cutting off the crust, just eating the edge of the brownies or simply adding a few more onions to a smaller portion of casserole. My mom has always been skinny and her dieting motto was to always leave at least one bite of everything on your plate, two bites of your favorite thing. My skinny friends rarely finish their plates nor do they need to eye everyone else's plate for one delicious morsel.

It really feels good to eat my bites best to worst, because when I am done, I'm done! It's still habit to save the best for last, but it's one I'm breaking slowly now that I've missed out on it so many times.

Clearly we are soul mates. My husband would always ask me why I ate sandwiches (burgers, etc.) in a circle and be baffled when I said I liked the middle the best. Why dont you eat the middle first then? I never really had a good answer but I couldnt eat the middle first for some reason. Yesterday I was eating my refried Beans and I was eating around the outside and by the end I still had my little dollop of sour cream, salsa and jalapenos I had taken my time to finely chop, but I was pretty sure I was full. I will have to remember this lesson and work on changing my way of thinking especially since it seems like I never know how much Im going to be able to eat. I ate almost a whole fage yogurt this morning but 3 tbsp of chicken salad and potato salad last night had me about to explode.

Such a good idea! Especially since we can only eat so little. So why not head straight for the best part first!! Eating the best part last has always been my mo. Thanks for the great idea!! I will now enjoy the best part when I start eating so I can enjoy it without feeling like a took a bite when I knew I was full. Something I have been trying to stop doing! :)

Clearly we are soul mates. My husband would always ask me why I ate sandwiches (burgers, etc.) in a circle and be baffled when I said I liked the middle the best. Why dont you eat the middle first then? I never really had a good answer but I couldnt eat the middle first for some reason. Yesterday I was eating my refried Beans and I was eating around the outside and by the end I still had my little dollop of sour cream, salsa and jalapenos I had taken my time to finely chop, but I was pretty sure I was full. I will have to remember this lesson and work on changing my way of thinking especially since it seems like I never know how much Im going to be able to eat. I ate almost a whole fage yogurt this morning but 3 tbsp of chicken salad and potato salad last night had me about to explode.

We definitely are. I was eating my refried Beans when this lightbulb moment struck. I, too, was eating around the edges saving the bite with the most pepperjack cheese and raw onions when I realized I was probably never going to get to that bite. I ate it, it was delicious and I had no desire to eat any more.

:blink:

Holy Crap! This is so me... I used to eat starburst and skittles in the same exact order. From least favorite to most favorite. Never would I eat a handful of skittles at once, because I could not detect the different flavors. Oh.. And the ribeye! I used to cut it all up and save the most tender fat surrounded piece for the very last bite. Did the same thing with shake n bake porkchops.. Crispy fat edges last! It was almost like I had a moment when finally eating my favorite part. It was like I stopped breathing momentarily so I could savor that taste! I am only one month out and my desire for food is still lurking around. I get so excited to eat something new. Then I get the first two bites and I am done with the excitement and I only finish because I know I need the protein! But I will say that is starting to die. Food is not my favorite thing anymore. It is not what my life revolves around.. This is a great feeling, but also very weird at the same time!

OMG! Every since I can remember I've always "ritualized" the way I eat! And it's always been save the best for last! For every type of food, there is a certain way I eat it . . . even in the order that I eat it. If I eat homemade mashed potatoes, there has to be a last bit of them no matter what else is on the plate. Your idea is great! Because I won't know when I'll get full, I have to learn to eat the most scrumptious bite FIRST! Otherwise, I'll miss it, and I don't want to force it once I'm full, because then that last bite won't be the best . . . it will be filled with guilt (for forcing) and maybe some pain or nausea (for forcing) and it will turn into the worst bite for last! Thank you for this idea!

Guilty! This has been a way of life since childhood! You have given a fresh new perspective on this! Thank you.

I did this too. The other day I was eating my one egg, ham and cheese omelette and I started to eat the outside edge that had no fillings to save the rest for last. A few bites in I realized I might not finish this and started eating it the other way around.

Great observation.

This is a geat convo. Since I was sleeved it has made me stop and think what I want to eat, mainly which would be more satisfying whether it is what part or type of food. I would rather have another bite of steak or bbq (meat) than rice, Pasta, or even potatoes! And my cooking which was good before is amazing now due to getting creative with seasonings and sauces!

Wow, I do the exact same thing! You seem to be right on with your theory of taking the best bites first! I am not sleeved until October but I might give this a shot now to break the habit!

Thanks for sharing!

Wow how true! Ty for sharing

Save the best bite for FIRST because it's highly unlikely I will get to eat it if I save it for last!

I "blame" a lot of my weight issues on my previous tendency to make big luscious meals' date=' pile my plate high and then save the best bites for last, ensuring that I will clean my plate.

I've always done this, from my first PB&J (eat around the crust first, from the driest bottom side, all the way around the edge to the squishy under butt of the crust and then circling around to the fattest middle filled with squishy deliciousness), to a pan of brownies (eat all the gooey, slightly under baked middle first, saving the crispy edges for last). I had a method of gluttony for eating everything (green bean casserole, push most of the crispy onions to one side to be enjoyed in the last crunchy salty bite) and the last bite had to be eaten no matter how stuffed I was. After all, it was the best bite, right?

Never did I consider simply cutting off the crust, just eating the edge of the brownies or simply adding a few more onions to a smaller portion of casserole. My mom has always been skinny and her dieting motto was to always leave at least one bite of everything on your plate, two bites of your favorite thing. My skinny friends rarely finish their plates nor do they need to eye everyone else's plate for one delicious morsel.

It really feels good to eat my bites best to worst, because when I am done, I'm done! It's still habit to save the best for last, but it's one I'm breaking slowly now that I've missed out on it so many times.[/quote']

Wow--what a great insight! I ALWAYS eat the worst parts first, saving the best for last so I can savour it. Gonna have to try your method for sure!!

This is brilliant! I save the best for last as well, but not anymore! Thank you for this thread. :)