Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Back from Tijuana! And I'm feeling good! :) This is long!

Hi Everyone! I just made it back from tonight from San Diego after having surgery in Tijuana, Mexico on Monday, August 19th! My experience was wonderful!! Thank you Lord!! :) My sister (support) and I arrived in San Diego on Sunday, 8/19 and was immediately picked up at the airport by Raoul with A Lighter Me. He took us to our hotel in Tijuana after a brief stop at Mi Doctor Hospital to pick up a patient that had been released that day. She looked great and said she was feeling fine. We got to the hotel, Marriott Tijuana and it is beautiful!!The rooms are big, clean and had a bathroom scale. Everyone went over and beyond, the staff was so friendly. As a part of my package with A Lighter Me, the hotel provides 3 cups of broth a day and 2 waters per day (free) to the patient and a 15% discount to their companion at the restaurant. Since we got there on Sunday, there was a Sunday Brunch going on and it was fantastic!! My sister loved loved loved the food, and I loved loved loved smelling, looking and watching her eat and describe the taste to me. LOL!! It did not tempt me at all. I stuck to my 3 week preop and was not hungry. By the way, I lost 23 lbs during preop! Okay, so we get the hospital on Monday and got all of my preop test taken care of and was the first patient to have the surgery. There were several, but the others scheduled were coming in the same day. Everyone that was going to be assisting in my care came into my room to introduce themselves to me (my room nurse, the surgery nurse, the anesthesiologist, my surgeons Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Sanchez at some point before my surgery. Oh, my room had two beds, one for me and the other for my sister! Dr. Lopez also assisted in the surgery, but I met him after I left recovery. My surgery went well, I did have to my hernia repaired, which I suspected my happen because i was taking Nsaids up to 3 weeks before and on an empty stomach. Something you should never do! Anyway, I had NO PAIN, NO NASEAU, NO PROBLEM DRINKING OR ANYTHING!!! Of course, that did not stop me from taking whatever medication they offered, but I didn't think I needed it. The coordinator from A Lighter Me, Janese was there and boy did I see a lot of her and the drivers, Abraham and Eduardo for A Lighter ME! They were constantly in the hospital checking on everyone that was there and making sure we had all we needed. Not once did I have to look for them or contact them for anything because they were always around, even late into the night! So, I'm feeling good. I did not walk for a few hours after surgery because I was just to sleepy. The hospital is small, so don't expect any long hallways to walk in! Tijuana was nice and the weather perfect! I left the hospital and went back to the Marriott Hotel on Wednesday and within an hour my sister, I and another patient we met, went walking to buy a few souvenirs. We walked about a 1/2 mile from the hotel and came back and did not feel in any danger. There were lots of traffic and people walking, especially school kids. There are a lot of food trucks about and my sister purchased some tacos! She says that everything she purchased was absolutely delicious and she travels A LOT all over! Oh, I forgot, even the food in the hospital at the diner on the first was the best for her! On Thursday, our coordinators took us shopping near the border. Now, the storekeepers will converge on you like crazy!!! But we did manage to get some items. There is a Walmart near the Hotel within walking distance. The rest of my stay was uneventful, I felt fine the entire time, I walked and managed to eat some broth and drink Water and gatorade. I've not be hungry at all, but try to get in as I could while there. We check out on Friday and was taken back to San Deigo and our driver, Raoul took my sister and I to the car rental agency because we stayed an extra day in San Deigo. We went shopping and was out and I felt fine the entire time, no problems. My plane ride home was long, I had to switch flights, but flew a total of 6.5 hours home. I held a pillow to my belly most of the way, but otherwise, I was good. I'm home now, having a Isopure (it is so delicious) and I just wanted you all to know that all is well and you should feel safe to go to Tijuana. Now I just pray that my healing journey continues to be blessed. Thanks for reading this long post!!

Oh, I forgot to say. After surgery, I weighed myself and I was 3 lbs heavier. By the time I got back to the Hotel, I was 1 lb less that my per surgery weight and now that I'm home, I'm 4 lbs, lighter! So 23lbs lost preop and 4lbs post op! Total lost 29lbs! My doctor said he expects I should lose 30-40 lbs the 1st month! and at LEAST 50 within 2!!!!

I'm glad everything went well for you. Good Luck with getting to goal soon. Linda

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I will be in Tijuana on Sept. 9th and your post reassured me about my decision. Praying that your recovery continues to go well. :)

Thanks for reading this long post!!

sheabh

huh, what, oh your done???

oh no you made me so tired i nodded off!! :lol:

so happy you had a wonderful experience in tiajuana :)

i will be honest and say i would be weary about the travel out of country :(

but so many OP tell of their wonderful experience in Mexico - so it sounds like you did great too!!!

great pre-op weight loss :)

weight gain after WLS? yep i've heard that

but everything settled out, and you lost more :)

glad your sister came along for the ride

support is so helpful/important

glad she enjoyed the food - and you enjoyed the aroma :)

see, i can be long winded too!! :lol:

did you nod off?? :lol:

you are on your way towards health, happiness and a longer life :)

continued best towards your great recovery - and all your future successes :)

good luck

kathy

I loved A Lighter Me. I had surgery 11/03/12. I had a great experience as well. Glad to see another sleever that had a good experience and thanks for sharing so others can read your experience. Hopefully it will help alleviate the fears of some of those who are 'on the fence' about going to MX. Welcome to the losers bench!!!

:)

So glad you had a great experience. Get ready for your new life :)

Hi Everyone! I just made it back from tonight from San Diego after having surgery in Tijuana, Mexico on Monday, August 19th! My experience was wonderful!! Thank you Lord!! :) My sister (support) and I arrived in San Diego on Sunday, 8/19 and was immediately picked up at the airport by Raoul with A Lighter Me. He took us to our hotel in Tijuana after a brief stop at Mi Doctor Hospital to pick up a patient that had been released that day. She looked great and said she was feeling fine. We got to the hotel, Marriott Tijuana and it is beautiful!!The rooms are big, clean and had a bathroom scale. Everyone went over and beyond, the staff was so friendly. As a part of my package with A Lighter Me, the hotel provides 3 cups of broth a day and 2 waters per day (free) to the patient and a 15% discount to their companion at the restaurant. Since we got there on Sunday, there was a Sunday Brunch going on and it was fantastic!! My sister loved loved loved the food, and I loved loved loved smelling, looking and watching her eat and describe the taste to me. LOL!! It did not tempt me at all. I stuck to my 3 week preop and was not hungry. By the way, I lost 23 lbs during preop! Okay, so we get the hospital on Monday and got all of my preop test taken care of and was the first patient to have the surgery. There were several, but the others scheduled were coming in the same day. Everyone that was going to be assisting in my care came into my room to introduce themselves to me (my room nurse, the surgery nurse, the anesthesiologist, my surgeons Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Sanchez at some point before my surgery. Oh, my room had two beds, one for me and the other for my sister! Dr. Lopez also assisted in the surgery, but I met him after I left recovery. My surgery went well, I did have to my hernia repaired, which I suspected my happen because i was taking Nsaids up to 3 weeks before and on an empty stomach. Something you should never do! Anyway, I had NO PAIN, NO NASEAU, NO PROBLEM DRINKING OR ANYTHING!!! Of course, that did not stop me from taking whatever medication they offered, but I didn't think I needed it. The coordinator from A Lighter Me, Janese was there and boy did I see a lot of her and the drivers, Abraham and Eduardo for A Lighter ME! They were constantly in the hospital checking on everyone that was there and making sure we had all we needed. Not once did I have to look for them or contact them for anything because they were always around, even late into the night! So, I'm feeling good. I did not walk for a few hours after surgery because I was just to sleepy. The hospital is small, so don't expect any long hallways to walk in! Tijuana was nice and the weather perfect! I left the hospital and went back to the Marriott Hotel on Wednesday and within an hour my sister, I and another patient we met, went walking to buy a few souvenirs. We walked about a 1/2 mile from the hotel and came back and did not feel in any danger. There were lots of traffic and people walking, especially school kids. There are a lot of food trucks about and my sister purchased some tacos! She says that everything she purchased was absolutely delicious and she travels A LOT all over! Oh, I forgot, even the food in the hospital at the diner on the first was the best for her! On Thursday, our coordinators took us shopping near the border. Now, the storekeepers will converge on you like crazy!!! But we did manage to get some items. There is a Walmart near the Hotel within walking distance. The rest of my stay was uneventful, I felt fine the entire time, I walked and managed to eat some broth and drink Water and gatorade. I've not be hungry at all, but try to get in as I could while there. We check out on Friday and was taken back to San Deigo and our driver, Raoul took my sister and I to the car rental agency because we stayed an extra day in San Deigo. We went shopping and was out and I felt fine the entire time, no problems. My plane ride home was long, I had to switch flights, but flew a total of 6.5 hours home. I held a pillow to my belly most of the way, but otherwise, I was good. I'm home now, having a Isopure (it is so delicious) and I just wanted you all to know that all is well and you should feel safe to go to Tijuana. Now I just pray that my healing journey continues to be blessed. Thanks for reading this long post!!

i was there with you. I think i met you and your sister as we leaving on fri morning. I am the mother of the 4 of us that had surgery, my son, daughter in law, and my son's girlfriend all had it done at the same time. i am sending you a friends request would love to follow your progress as we had it done on the same day. I totally agree. Things couldn't have been better. Hotel, hospital, surgeon, nurses, drs, xray, housekeeping, transportation couldn't have been any better. tell your sister i said hi.

rnursewillis, yes i do remember! And you're right, that was me with my sister!!! It was great, right?! Yes, please send the friend request so that we all can keep up with each other! How are things going for you?! Still no pain, gas or anything for me. I'm getting my liquids down without any problems, except that I'm probably not getting enough down. I'm just not hungry and am making myself drink all day. :) I've lost 6 lbs since the surgery, so all is well. How is everyone in your party doing?!

Proudgrammy, you are funny!! I think..... yes you are! :) How is everything going for you?!