Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dill pickles okay pre op cheat?

So i am on this low carb high Protein liquid 3 week pre op Protein diet and ive hit the hardest day ever..like.. day 3.5 For some reason its always the hardest days on day 3 and 4 of any low carb diet i have ever done... so i couldnt take it anymore. I needed to chew somthing! So i chose a dill pickle. Do you think its alright to have a dill pickle or two.. i knew if i didnt eat a dill pickle..then it would be somthing i really really really should not eat...like somthing high fat high carb...

Im just trying to get through the next two days and then i know i will be okay.

I don't know, but I had to have some pickles too. I scraped the seeds out first. :)

So i am on this low carb high Protein liquid 3 week pre op Protein diet and ive hit the hardest day ever..like.. day 3.5 For some reason its always the hardest days on day 3 and 4 of any low carb diet i have ever done... so i couldnt take it anymore. I needed to chew somthing! So i chose a dill pickle. Do you think its alright to have a dill pickle or two.. i knew if i didnt eat a dill pickle..then it would be somthing i really really really should not eat...like somthing high fat high carb...

Im just trying to get through the next two days and then i know i will be okay.

Do I think it is alright? No. I don't think it is. Seeking approval to cheat is doing yourself a massive disservice. Either cheat and own the fact you cheated, or don't cheat. To cheat and seek validation is really not taking responsibility for your own choices. If you are going to have the best possible outcomes post surgery then you need to be able to be responsible for your own choices, even when those choices are poor.

'I had a dill pickle even though i am meant to only be on shakes but it was just a pickle so its okay' is no different to post op 'I had a chocolate shake but it is still a full liquid so its okay because I was really tired and needed energy'. Sure, the calories and fat between a dill pickle and a shake are different and one is clearly better than the other but that's not the point.

This surgery is a tool and for you to use that tool effectively you need to learn to take responsibility for your decisions, actions, and choices over what you put in your mouth. So own the fact you had a dill pickle, you broke your diet, you learnt from it, and you won't have another dill pickle and instead choose to ride this hard part of the pre OP diet out as it will all be worth it in time. If you seek validation for your bad choices, you won't learn to take that responsibility.

I know this seems really harsh in response to a dill pickle, but for me, personal responsibility and honesty have been what has led to my own success.

how I got around this was I chewed what I wanted and spit it out.....so I got the taste of it and the feeling of chewing - good luck!

So my two cents only, based on my limited experience and knowledge of myself. I can rationalize ANYTHING if I try hard enough. chocolate become a source of antioxidants, pizza becomes a balanced food, cake becomes an indulgence that keeps me from binging...on and on.

Don't do that. Don't tell yourself it's okay because pickles are not that bad for you, it could have been something worse, etc. etc. The rules for the liquid pre-op are pretty simple. Don't break them.

This is your chance to change your behaviors, to do something that seems impossible, and to SUCCEED at it. To go into surgery knowing you can succeed, and that you gave yourself the best chance for a successful outcome. Don't deprive yourself of that win.

My post will likely be followed by some who will tell you what I think you want to hear--which is that it was okay. I hope you read mine and think of what I'm saying as well though.

I remember your earlier post where I think you said you broke the pre-op too and wonder if you might benefit from talking to someone before the surgery?

You now have another chance to get it right. Rooting for you to get there!

how I got around this was I chewed what I wanted and spit it out.....so I got the taste of it and the feeling of chewing - good luck!

Laura-ven posted a thread on why this is very bad for your body. I learned a lot from reading it. Hope you can find it, very illuminating.

Wow, Heather, that's a kick in the pants from other posters if I ever saw one!

But I think it's good for us pre-oppers to have other well-travelled sleevers keep us in line. I think that's what will help make us successful down the road.

I have too many enablers in my life already, it's good that I won't find that here.

Wow, Heather, that's a kick in the pants from other posters if I ever saw one!

But I think it's good for us pre-oppers to have other well-travelled sleevers keep us in line. I think that's what will help make us successful down the road.

I have too many enablers in my life already, it's good that I won't find that here.

I'm not that well-travelled yet. I'm only about 3 weeks post-op. But I can tell you, the post-op is MUCH harder than the pre-op. It's weeks and weeks where you are tired, you can't eat, you're hungry, you're nauseous, it would be easier to eat something that sounded good than have another Protein shake, you can't get your fluids in, your Protein counts are in the toilet, you're in pain, you haven't chewed anything for five weeks...it's one thing after another for a few weeks, and that's with NO complications.

And the problem is, a mistake could kill you, cause a leak, compromise your staples, or land you in the ER with some issues.

The pre-op is a good time to learn compliance. I am not the best rule follower in the world. But if it's a choice between following rules and dying, I know which one I need to do.

I hope I didn't come across as preachy. Opinionated, yes, preachy, no :)

I am very surprised at the harsh words on this forum....We are here to encourage not break people down...I did the pre-op fine....But others on here had a cheese burger while doing pre-op....

I think if I was asking for help and got this kind of answer I would leave the forum discouraged!

I am not saying it was right.....But there are ways of saying things that get the point across without that kind of force.....We are all in this together and rely on each other to help work through the issues....Not hit people over the head...

An old expression fits here I think...You get more flies with honey then with vinegar.....

Just a thought for those who think they will never fall or make a mistake in this life long journey

Make sure you tell your surgeon so that he/she can decide if the surgery will be a go or not.....K

Well anyway... I find this a good read.

http://www.verticals...an-opportunity/

I read this and it was very encouraging..Thank you for posting it for all of us!

I am very surprised at the harsh words on this forum....We are here to encourage not break people down...I did the pre-op fine....But others on here had a cheese burger while doing pre-op....

I think if I was asking for help and got this kind of answer I would leave the forum discouraged!

I am not saying it was right.....But there are ways of saying things that get the point across without that kind of force.....We are all in this together and rely on each other to help work through the issues....Not hit people over the head...

An old expression fits here I think...You get more flies with honey then with vinegar.....

Just a thought for those who think they will never fall or make a mistake in this life long journey

Make sure you tell your surgeon so that he/she can decide if the surgery will be a go or not.....K

I hope I wasn't harsh, but maybe I was, if so I apologize. I am sure I will have failures too, this appears to be a lifelong thing, and who amongst us is perfect? I do hope that I get both support and good advice when I come here.

I hope I wasn't harsh, but maybe I was, if so I apologize. I am sure I will have failures too, this appears to be a lifelong thing, and who amongst us is perfect? I do hope that I get both support and good advice when I come here.

I agree with you....we have taken this on because we are addicted to food and have our own issues with it...We should feel like we are in a understanding and compassionate place....Like I said this does not mean that we can't be honest and helpful and at sometimes even a bit annoyed....But we need to talk to people the way we would want to be talked to...Just my opinion...I guess it can be taken or left.....

I sure can admit that this is probably the hardest thing I have ever started and worked at in my life and I have been through some difficult stuff.......I can't count how many mistakes I have made or most likely will make in my life from here on....just hope that if I reach out there will be some fellow sleever's who understand.. :)

I ate dill pickles on my liquid diet. I could have 1/2 cup of low starch veg a day so I counted the pickle as such. You are human and adult if you feel like u want a pickle have one. I still lost 15 lbs before surgery and dr said my liver was perfect so I don't see the problem