Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaching 100% excess weight loss?

I have also seen many people on this site lose a lot of weight. It is strange because the people that are part of my support groups and weight loss community seem to lose slower. I don't know if being on this site all the time is a form of motivation or accountability' date=' but I think sites like this help with the weight loss process for sure.[/quote']

Yes I see many people at my face to face groups that didn't get to 100% weight loss. I think there are more people here, so it may seem like more get to goal here, but I think it's just a bigger pool.

Lynda

I started out at 264 the first day in my surgeons office. I was 252 the day of surgery. I am 143 this morning. I would capitalize the time you have in the first year. This is something I read on this website because as you know the further out you get the slower the weight comes off. You have to take advantage and really work the program the first year and a half. I know you can get to your goal. If you have not started a workout plan I would do so. It helps and you feel good when you start noticing the changes. It also helps with the loose skin. Although my stomach is still not bikini ready after two kids its not bad. Good luck.

... I would capitalize the time you have in the first year. This is something I read on this website because as you know the further out you get the slower the weight comes off. You have to take advantage and really work the program the first year and a half. I know you can get to your goal. If you have not started a workout plan I would do so. It helps and you feel good when you start noticing the changes. It also helps with the loose skin.

I agree with this. This is a time of change. Observe, learn, and work that sleeve. You also have to start to get some rules for the future in place for after the loss. You here them here all the time.

Drink your Water, but not during or shortly after your meals.

Protein first

Start formulating lower carb dishes that you like.

Try Vegetarian, or Organic eating now and then.

More veggies!

Find ways to move that you like! I took up belly dancing, Urban walking and bird watching photography (Nature walking and hiking). I'm getting my friends involved so they might want to go with me sometimes, but I will go by myself as well because its just so darned fun I can't wait to get out and look around!)

I joined a gym.... My dance classes are held there, and in the rest of my time I can lift weights, or take yoga, or experiment with the other fitness things they offer. I took 6 weeks of Tango there once... all included in my gym fees. (It is a rock climbing gym... I no longer rock climb, but the gym is so beautiful, with 3 story rock walls inside!)

Find the joy!

Don't expect the sleeve to do everything for you... IT IS ONLY ONE OF THE TOOLS YOU WILL NEED IN YOUR TOOL BOX!!.

First of all' date=' you look awesome!

I have read of many people losing tons of weight without doing much or any exercise. I have read that one sleeve patient actually refuses to exercise until she reaches her goal weight because of some of the things exercise can do. There is a belief out there that exercise can actually slow weight loss on the scale. It can increase hunger which causes you to eat more calories in a day. It can also cause inflammation within the body which causes Water retention and causes the scale to stall.:[/quote']

Jeez us! It's one thing to not exercise because it doesn't fit your personality/lifestyle/whatever. It's another thing to say it will hinder your progress. Anyone who says that is missing the big picture....which is increased health. Yes I could probably be lighter if I never exercised, but at what cost? I'd have less muscle so I'd be weaker, my metabolism would be much lower so I'd have to each much less, I'd have less energy, more emotional stress, I'd look worse naked, have lower testosterone which means I'd perform worse naked.....and I could make a case for decreasing my life span as well as quality of life without exercise but I'm sure it's debatable. But still....it's not all about the scale. I'd rather be fit than light. Light does nothing for me. I don't carry a scale around all day and step on it to impress people. But lean and fit....looks and feels good. And to me, you don't have to be a gym rat, just do "more". More walking the dog, playing frisbee, sight seeing, deep sea fishing, gardening...whatever gets you off the couch and helps you enjoy life.

Ok.....off my soap box.

Jeez us! It's one thing to not exercise because it doesn't fit your personality/lifestyle/whatever. It's another thing to say it will hinder your progress. Anyone who says that is missing the big picture....which is increased health. Yes I could probably be lighter if I never exercised, but at what cost? I'd have less muscle so I'd be weaker, my metabolism would be much lower so I'd have to each much less, I'd have less energy, more emotional stress, I'd look worse naked, have lower testosterone which means I'd perform worse naked.....and I could make a case for decreasing my life span as well as quality of life without exercise but I'm sure it's debatable. But still....it's not all about the scale. I'd rather be fit than light. Light does nothing for me. I don't carry a scale around all day and step on it to impress people. But lean and fit....looks and feels good. And to me, you don't have to be a gym rat, just do "more". More walking the dog, playing frisbee, sight seeing, deep sea fishing, gardening...whatever gets you off the couch and helps you enjoy life.

Ok.....off my soap box.

yes. yes. and did I say yes? I love the "weigh" exercising makes me feel. My goal is to be fit and healthy. Will it coincide with a certain goal number on the scale? I don't know, but I do know that I exercise 6 days a week and really push myself. Will I stop exercising to see the scale drop? Absolutely not! It brings me joy. :)

Yes! I finally found the chart my doc showed me last fall that shows that it is healhier to have an overweight BMI and excercise than it is to have a normal BMI and not exercise.

Here;'s the article:

http://www.plosmedic...6ECA89EC79653DD

post-5461-13813669084917_thumb.png

I think sometimes we miss the point. Maybe I have a different mindset because i accept my goal weight at being a BMI of 25-26 range, but it is just a number on a scale and a chart. Health, how you feel, how you look - to me those are all much more important. So, I am not dissing on people that get to 22 BMI - that is what works for them but I think part of the problem of not making goal is having the wrong goal for the wrong reason.

I would NOT ever trade my physical abilities to hit a lower BMI or scale number. The fact that I can hike, climb, play, bike etc and keep up with normal people - that is priceless and it is what I wanted from this dream of weight loss. The only think that makes me look "fat" is extra skin that hangs over my low belly and that sucker will be GONE in a few months...thanks to a little surgical intervention.

I made normal BMI in 10 months... that is 100% EWL....

I ate and continue to eat well over 800 calories a day... because I exercise a LOT... FOOD=FUEL, not FOOD= REWARD... the more active you are, the more fuel you will need... but the faster your metabolism will be...you WILL burn it off if you MOVE!!

I am 5'7.5" and 152.8 according to the scale last night...I wear a size 6... I do NOT want to get skinnier but I will lose a few more pounds only to REGAIN them during BULKING.... I would like my legs & butt to get a lil thicker, so weight training focusing on that will cause me to regain some weight in the right places ;)

Doctors give CONSERVATIVE estimates on what you can expect to lose simply because they cannot count you as a success story otherwise.... if they tell you it only tkes 60% EWL to be a sucess..and all of their patients lose 60% then the doctor has a 100% success rate!! get it???

I, for one, would NEVER have settled on 60% EWL...in fact, no way would I even had gotten the majority of my stomach cut out just to only lose 60% of my EWL....60% of MY EWL was like 50 pounds.... had I been vigilant, I could've lost 50 pounds without surgery.... so for ME, it was ALL or nothing....

I keep telling myself if I hadn't gained that 25 extra pounds when I had to have my thyroid ablated because hyperthyroidism a year before I decided I had to have surgery intervention to lose this weight, I would be at my goal right now. After my thyroid was ablated, I gained 25-30 pounds in 3 months. Not my fault, mind you. I had no metabolism. I had to start on synthroid and get regulated and the weight gain stopped but not before I hit almost 300 pounds! It has been so difficult to get the scale to move. I'm so close!! Just can't get there. I've tried everything. The pouch test, going back to basics, the 5.2 diet. Ugh... I'm just tired. I realize I've done great but I want that 24 BMI and that 150 on the scale. I'm 5'6" and I want to get there. I'm 169 right now. I keep gaining and losing two pounds. Since my one year surgeversary, I've not really lost anything. I'm 15 months out andI have to do something. No, I don't exercise everyday but I do walk 3 to 4 times a week. I have a bad back with bulging disc and stenosis so I have to be careful as to what kind of exercise I do. Ok.. just ranting and praying that one day I will get to goal.

I keep telling myself if I hadn't gained that 25 extra pounds when I had to have my thyroid ablated because hyperthyroidism a year before I decided I had to have surgery intervention to lose this weight' date=' I would be at my goal right now. After my thyroid was ablated, I gained 25-30 pounds in 3 months. Not my fault, mind you. I had no metabolism. I had to start on synthroid and get regulated and the weight gain stopped but not before I hit almost 300 pounds! It has been so difficult to get the scale to move. I'm so close!! Just can't get there. I've tried everything. The pouch test, going back to basics, the 5.2 diet. Ugh... I'm just tired. I realize I've done great but I want that 24 BMI and that 150 on the scale. I'm 5'6" and I want to get there. I'm 169 right now. I keep gaining and losing two pounds. Since my one year surgeversary, I've not really lost anything. I'm 15 months out andI have to do something. No, I don't exercise everyday but I do walk 3 to 4 times a week. I have a bad back with bulging disc and stenosis so I have to be careful as to what kind of exercise I do. Ok.. just ranting and praying that one day I will get to goal.[/quote']

Lisa, don't get discouraged. You can do it but it might take some REAL work. First, are you logging everything you eat? regained about 25 pounds over a period of a year or so. It was an eye opener to me when I started putting down every bite! AND I had to really cut back calories. I lost it doing 5:2 but I never go over 1200 cals a day on feast if at all possible especially when I was in true losing mode. I have about 3 -5 lbs to get back to 150 and HOLD IT THIS TIME!

I know the thyroid issue is a biggie so maybe you need to have your meds regulated again? Stress also helps us keep from losing so take a deep breath and relax about it all for a while.

While I totally relate to your goals - I would like to gently suggest that you give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for the tremendous success you have had. I reckon you are fitter and hotter looking than the vast majority of women in your age range. Bask in your glory, be grateful and enjoy life. I am not trying to tell you to give up, I am trying to tell you to be a gentle friend to yourself. I too started in the 300# range - isn't it a wonder, an amazing thing to just be in the general ballpark of normal???

I keep telling myself if I hadn't gained that 25 extra pounds when I had to have my thyroid ablated because hyperthyroidism a year before I decided I had to have surgery intervention to lose this weight, I would be at my goal right now. After my thyroid was ablated, I gained 25-30 pounds in 3 months. Not my fault, mind you. I had no metabolism. I had to start on synthroid and get regulated and the weight gain stopped but not before I hit almost 300 pounds! It has been so difficult to get the scale to move. I'm so close!! Just can't get there. I've tried everything. The pouch test, going back to basics, the 5.2 diet. Ugh... I'm just tired. I realize I've done great but I want that 24 BMI and that 150 on the scale. I'm 5'6" and I want to get there. I'm 169 right now. I keep gaining and losing two pounds. Since my one year surgeversary, I've not really lost anything. I'm 15 months out andI have to do something. No, I don't exercise everyday but I do walk 3 to 4 times a week. I have a bad back with bulging disc and stenosis so I have to be careful as to what kind of exercise I do. Ok.. just ranting and praying that one day I will get to goal.

Like everyone has said, it is totally possible - but as you get closer, it will be harder to do. I am much shorter - just over 5' tall - and I am down to 140. I am trying to get to 120 (or better, 115). However, my Doc wants me to start increasing my calories slightly (I have been between 500 and 600 a day) to 700 calories a day. It is sending me into a stall at the moment, and I am feeling less sure about getting down to 115. We will see. I also know that if I get to my personal goal, the long-term maintenance will require more vigilance. That is the REAL challenge!

For those who have reached 100% of excess weight loss...what did it take? How difficult was it? How often did you have to exercise? How many calories were you consuming?

Please tell me your story as to what worked for you and how I can reach my goal.

Hi! I was sleeved in 3.12 at 235 and I'm at 123. I don't want to lose any more weight and I've started playing a little with my cals to maintain and not lose. I was sleeved thru Kaiser and followed their rules pretty strictly until month 8 or so (can't remember exactly). I currently eat 1500-1800 cals and run like crazy. :) I log around 40 miles a week. It wasn't that difficult to reach goal- I stalled a couple times because I wasn't consuming enough calories to fuel long runs. I run 5 days a week, cross train one day, and take a day off for rest. I think my success is due to exercise. I took a week off two weeks ago and gained 4 pounds. I picked up my exercise and logging consistently and lost that plus a little extra in one week. But remember, everyone is different. :) for me it was following the prescribed eating plan mixed with trial and error plus lots of exercise. Good luck!

Hi! I was sleeved in 3.12 at 235 and I'm at 123. I don't want to lose any more weight and I've started playing a little with my cals to maintain and not lose. I was sleeved thru Kaiser and followed their rules pretty strictly until month 8 or so (can't remember exactly). I currently eat 1500-1800 cals and run like crazy. :) I log around 40 miles a week. It wasn't that difficult to reach goal- I stalled a couple times because I wasn't consuming enough calories to fuel long runs. I run 5 days a week, cross train one day, and take a day off for rest. I think my success is due to exercise. I took a week off two weeks ago and gained 4 pounds. I picked up my exercise and logging consistently and lost that plus a little extra in one week. But remember, everyone is different. :) for me it was following the prescribed eating plan mixed with trial and error plus lots of exercise. Good luck!

I love, love, love this. My weight loss also stalled in the beginning because I wasn't getting enough calories to fuel my exercise regimen. You look very fit and can't wait to be there someday. I think we have similar qualities. I like to exercise...love it actually. This is something I have going for me. Thank you for keeping us posted on your long term success!!!

I am totally rooting for you to succeed. I feel for you and your struggles. Keep us posted. And you have done great! And I do understand you wanting to hit your goal, but you are a success already!