Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaching 100% excess weight loss?

I just had my 6 month post op check up appointment with my surgeon on Monday. I am actually 7 months, but my appointment was late. My dr. was very excited about my weight loss and said I was doing "fantastic."

He said I could expect to lose another 30 pounds and then start to level off. Losing another 30 pounds would put me at about 180lbs which is still heavy for a female at 5'6".

I told him my goal weight was 140 pounds and he said that my goal was "very aggressive". Hew made it very clear that it was possible, but would take "other" things to reach my very aggressive goal. I am assuming the other things are eating healthy and exercising.

I have read that sleeved patients lose between 70 and 80% of his or her excess weight.

For those who have reached 100% of excess weight loss...what did it take? How difficult was it? How often did you have to exercise? How many calories were you consuming?

Please tell me your story as to what worked for you and how I can reach my goal.

I want to show up at my 1 yr. post op appointment being under my projected weight of 180 pounds. It is definitely a motivating factor when someone tells me it is highly unlikely I can accomplish said goal because I am more determined to reach that goal.

thanks. I wasn't quite sure what to put in the search box to bring the results I was looking for.

thanks. I wasn't quite sure what to put in the search box to bring the results I was looking for.

No problem. I was racking my brain as to which vets actually lost everything and remembered this thread.

Losing everything is possible... But as the months pass you will have to work harder and harder to lose less and less unless your like a few of those freaks of nature that just dropped the weight "doing nothing" :P

You really won't learn much from who is eating what calories because it works differently for all of us. Trail and error... and blood sweat and tears.

Then keeping it off? Well we will never be able to eat like a naturally thin person. Our bodies will always be poised to gain the weight again.

It can be done, but with eyes wide open.

Okay, for ME, I didn't do anything extraordinary to lose 100% of excess weight. I lost 100 lbs in less than 8 months. I just kept losing and watching my eating habits. I didn't eat junk. I actually didn't do much exercise except some walking. But it wasn't consistent.

So what I guess I am saying is- I know lots of people who reached and lost 100% of excess. I am a little over 5' 7" My goal was 150 and I hit it.

Once there I held for a few months but gradually added too much junk and bad eating habits back even though restriction is still great. Regained over 3 year period about 25 lbs. I have lost all but a couple of pounds now so I think it is truly your choice to lose to what you want. I'm not sure what your surgeon was referring to unless it was another surgery. :(.

You can do it!!

I am 5'6" and started at 254. I lost 32 lbs pre-op and lost more than 100% of my excess weight in nine months post-op. I could have got there faster, but I slacked off after I hit normal BMI. I have been at goal of 135 for 17 months. I got to goal and stay there by being vigilant. I still weigh and measure my food most of the time and I weigh every morning. I exercise 4 days a week. During weight loss, I exercised 5-6 days per week. I eat non-fat dairy, low fat meat, non starchy veggies and fruit - in that order. I do have treats, but not a huge amount.

Lynda

You and I started at similiar weight and I am 5'5"

I am not quite to a BMI of 25 but i consider myself at goal/losing 100% of my excess because with my larger body frame and muscle- i look normal. I wear size 8-10/solid womens medium so it works for me. I will wear even smaller pants once i get rid of that belly skin (plastics).

Not many people who have 150+ to lose get to 100% excess weight loss, but it is possible. Just don't set yourself up for emotional failure - you know, you get down to 160 or 180 or whatever and then the weight loss stops.... don't consider that a failure!!!

For me, I am at about 155. I sometimes dream of weighing 140 but honestly, I can starve myself and don't see the scale move downward too willingly anymore. I feel like I have reached a weight my body just doesn't want to go much under.

But it takes exercise and eating very little to keep losing after a certain point. You get to be 1-2-3 years out and for most people the hunger has returned etc. It is harder.

I have lost about 90%, will get to 100% this year I think. It is trial and error to a degree,

Honestly, what has worked for me after a 22 pound regain last year and LOTS of long stalls, are Southbeach phase one (I'm a vegetarian and that worked pretty good to knock off 5 pounds) Then I started the 5:2 which is a semi fast for two days a week...would not recommend this until you are at least a year out though. You are not out of the honeymoon yet, but it has done the trick for me.... I think the most important thing for me is to stay accountable all the time. I even write down what I eat on vacation, just so I remain conscious of what Im doing even if Im eating what I want. I wear a fitbit, and keep track of my activity as well. When left to my own devices, I eat too much, and move too little to keep this body. My Dr also asked me if I would be happy losing 50 pounds. I said yes, but 90 would be better. I am now at 82. He did not even want to set a goal for me so I would not be disappointed in my final weight. Research shows that at three years sleevers keep off less than 75% EWL. I have seen too many people here lose 100% of their weight to think it is not possible. Keeping it off is also hard to do for many and a much longer job.

I wil "Amen"the hard part of keeping it off! I didn't do this just to get a really slim cute figure I was in it to get healthy! BUT, the slim part really makes me feel good about it all.

I wish for you to accomplish what YOU want to get out of it - including your goal weight. Just know, that above all, you are already a winner.

Those of us years out now know that the sheer accomplishment of continuing to fight the fight and focus on healthy living comes with HARD WORK! It's not for the faint at heart! Those who look on and say, "Well, she did it the easy way." I dare them to do, eat and work it as hard as I do everyday to continue to be healthy and accountable. :).

You can get to that 140 or 135. May take some "other measures" as your surgeon said! Those including diligence and perseverance. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when your surgeon sees that you reached your "very aggressive" goal. Lol

Okay, for ME, I didn't do anything extraordinary to lose 100% of excess weight. I lost 100 lbs in less than 8 months. I just kept losing and watching my eating habits. I didn't eat junk. I actually didn't do much exercise except some walking. But it wasn't consistent.

So what I guess I am saying is- I know lots of people who reached and lost 100% of excess. I am a little over 5' 7" My goal was 150 and I hit it.

Once there I held for a few months but gradually added too much junk and bad eating habits back even though restriction is still great. Regained over 3 year period about 25 lbs. I have lost all but a couple of pounds now so I think it is truly your choice to lose to what you want. I'm not sure what your surgeon was referring to unless it was another surgery. :(.

You can do it!!

First of all, you look awesome!

I have read of many people losing tons of weight without doing much or any exercise. I have read that one sleeve patient actually refuses to exercise until she reaches her goal weight because of some of the things exercise can do. There is a belief out there that exercise can actually slow weight loss on the scale. It can increase hunger which causes you to eat more calories in a day. It can also cause inflammation within the body which causes Water retention and causes the scale to stall.

I am one of the few that LOVE to exercise so I will never cut it out, but I do understand mentally that it is very, very possible to lose weight purely by adjusting eating.

I don't know what my surgeon was referring to either. I will have to ask him at my 1 yr. appointment. :lol:

I am 5'6" and started at 254. I lost 32 lbs pre-op and lost more than 100% of my excess weight in nine months post-op. I could have got there faster, but I slacked off after I hit normal BMI. I have been at goal of 135 for 17 months. I got to goal and stay there by being vigilant. I still weigh and measure my food most of the time and I weigh every morning. I exercise 4 days a week. During weight loss, I exercised 5-6 days per week. I eat non-fat dairy, low fat meat, non starchy veggies and fruit - in that order. I do have treats, but not a huge amount.

Lynda

Wow! That is a dream for me to be 135 pounds! I know you earned it. Did you always eat non-fat dairy, low fat meat etc? Or did you change that part of eating when you got closer to goal? I don't really watch the fat on my meat too much and I drink 1% milk. If I drink non fat or really low fat meats my calories become too low.

You and I started at similiar weight and I am 5'5"

I am not quite to a BMI of 25 but i consider myself at goal/losing 100% of my excess because with my larger body frame and muscle- i look normal. I wear size 8-10/solid womens medium so it works for me. I will wear even smaller pants once i get rid of that belly skin (plastics).

Not many people who have 150+ to lose get to 100% excess weight loss, but it is possible. Just don't set yourself up for emotional failure - you know, you get down to 160 or 180 or whatever and then the weight loss stops.... don't consider that a failure!!!

For me, I am at about 155. I sometimes dream of weighing 140 but honestly, I can starve myself and don't see the scale move downward too willingly anymore. I feel like I have reached a weight my body just doesn't want to go much under.

But it takes exercise and eating very little to keep losing after a certain point. You get to be 1-2-3 years out and for most people the hunger has returned etc. It is harder.

Size 8/10 is a perfect size! My goal has always been a size 7/8. The lowest weight I have been able to get down to myself has been 160 pounds, but that was a LONG time ago. I just got out of high school. Even at 160 pounds I was still a size 12/14 pants...because of my nice, large hips. During the years of countless attempts to lose weight, I have always gotten down to 180 pounds and then just kind of lingered there. I was pretty comfortable at that weight.

I guess I figure in my head that if I can get down to 180 pounds on my own, then I should be able to do much more with the help of my sleeve.

Great advice about emotional failure. I can see how that might happen. I will keep that in mind 6 months from now when I am closer to my goal.

We do have similar stats and you look wonderful!

I have lost about 90%, will get to 100% this year I think. It is trial and error to a degree,

Honestly, what has worked for me after a 22 pound regain last year and LOTS of long stalls, are Southbeach phase one (I'm a vegetarian and that worked pretty good to knock off 5 pounds) Then I started the 5:2 which is a semi fast for two days a week...would not recommend this until you are at least a year out though. You are not out of the honeymoon yet, but it has done the trick for me.... I think the most important thing for me is to stay accountable all the time. I even write down what I eat on vacation, just so I remain conscious of what Im doing even if Im eating what I want. I wear a fitbit, and keep track of my activity as well. When left to my own devices, I eat too much, and move too little to keep this body. My Dr also asked me if I would be happy losing 50 pounds. I said yes, but 90 would be better. I am now at 82. He did not even want to set a goal for me so I would not be disappointed in my final weight. Research shows that at three years sleevers keep off less than 75% EWL. I have seen too many people here lose 100% of their weight to think it is not possible. Keeping it off is also hard to do for many and a much longer job.

You look great at your 90% excess weight loss. The south beach phase 1 also works really well for me. I have done tons of diets and the south beach is usually the one that works for me. Staying accountable! That is a great tip. Thank you.

I have also seen many people on this site lose a lot of weight. It is strange because the people that are part of my support groups and weight loss community seem to lose slower. I don't know if being on this site all the time is a form of motivation or accountability, but I think sites like this help with the weight loss process for sure.

You look great at your 90% excess weight loss. The south beach phase 1 also works really well for me. I have done tons of diets and the south beach is usually the one that works for me. Staying accountable! That is a great tip. Thank you.

I have also seen many people on this site lose a lot of weight. It is strange because the people that are part of my support groups and weight loss community seem to lose slower. I don't know if being on this site all the time is a form of motivation or accountability, but I think sites like this help with the weight loss process for sure.

I definitely think having a supportive positive community that understands your struggle is a huge plus! In so many ways! Thanks all!

Wow! That is a dream for me to be 135 pounds! I know you earned it. Did you always eat non-fat dairy' date=' low fat meat etc? Or did you change that part of eating when you got closer to goal? I don't really watch the fat on my meat too much and I drink 1% milk. If I drink non fat or really low fat meats my calories become too low.[/quote']

Yes I drank nonfat dairy and ate low fat meats throughout the losing phase. I never worried about getting too few calories. My calories were in range for my program.

Lynda