Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone juice ?

Thinking about trying to incorporate juicing into my post op .. Anyone have any experience with this ?

I don't know how carb/sugar sensitive you are but we tried juicing/green shakes before surgery and while it seemed very healthy, both my husband and I had 20 point increases in our blood sugar after 2 months of it! There is a LOT of sugar in juices and you will exceed your carbs I suspect, and increase your insulin release which hinders weight loss.

Honestly I'd stay away from them. But that's just my experience which is hard to reconcile with the whole juicing craze. I will tell you, NO one at the doctors office was surprised by our blood sugar results. They said they see it all the time.

Were you only juicing fruits? Most of the recipes I have found have both fruits and vegetables and some only vegetables. I'm honestly looking for the health benefits even more than weight loss. I'm 20 lbs from my goal and I'm about to go from band to sleeve next month. With the band I found myself eating so much junk (sliders) I truly want this to lead to a healthier way of eating and with limited space I was hoping juicing would make it easier for me to get in healthier foods. I'm was also hoping it would give me a lot of variety as my doc requires 30 days of liquids post op .

I have looked into juicing too! Theoretically I think would be a huge benefit all those nutrients! I might stick to mostly veggies to keep sugars down? I too hand the band which in turn made me eat total crap and I really just want nutrient dense food in my after my revision next month! Good luck! I hope some people post on here who have done it!

Were you only juicing fruits? Most of the recipes I have found have both fruits and vegetables and some only vegetables. I'm honestly looking for the health benefits even more than weight loss. I'm 20 lbs from my goal and I'm about to go from band to sleeve next month. With the band I found myself eating so much junk (sliders) I truly want this to lead to a healthier way of eating and with limited space I was hoping juicing would make it easier for me to get in healthier foods. I'm was also hoping it would give me a lot of variety as my doc requires 30 days of liquids post op .

Not fruits only. And I wasn't just juicing, I was vitamixing which keeps all the Fiber intact which should help with keeping blood sugar down.The vitamix allegedly breaks down the cell walls of the veggies making the nutrients more bio available.

So I would put a cup of berries (low sugar) and at least 2-3 cups of greens and veggies and that would make two shakes. We did 2-3 of those a day. I did buy a juicer and the first veg/fruit juice we made made me sick with the sugar content so I knew that wasn't going to work. But I was sure the vitamix would be just fine with all the Fiber.

I think the issue is the sheer quantity one is able to consume with juicing/blending. Think of half a cup of berries and 2 cups of vegetables. If they weren't juiced, could you eat them in one sitting? No way, right? Well when juiced, you ARE eating that much at a time. I honestly believe that's the problem. Oh and that's in addition to your regular food. One begins to see the problem, right?

My B-I-L (no WLS) juices. He has had really great results...compared to the high fatty foods he ate before he juiced. However, I asked my Dr about juicing and she said no fruits just veggies and after I met my Protein goal.

Well at this point that sounds impossible since I barely make my Protein each day. No room for juice and veggies with no fruits...yuck. And that is someone that loves veggies in solid form.

I'm not sure it would make much sense for a post-op unless you're wayyy out and are meeting every other goal. From what I've read/heard, juicing keeps you full a long time. So that too may prevent you from meeting your protein goals if you have no appetite.

I juice but do it as a part of a almost (80% or better) raw diet.

The carb count is increased with juice, but it is not refined sugars, and if you balance your juices with net fibers (remember the carb/fiber = net carb ratio for diabetics) and don't overdo it (it is up to the individual to determine what that means, we are all different.

For me when I am really dehydrated, or getting that way and I have not had my calories for the day either, juice allows me to hydrate and get in more nutrients than I otherwise would.

www.fullyraw.com

check it out :)

also, if you juice and are not going the whole route with a vitamix or blender (a vitamix is just a really powerful blender and honestly I can get the same results with a regular blender with some patience).

dont discard your leavings! That is alot of food, ALOT of $$$, and you can make grain free breads, biscuits, dips, and I will eat it raw, too, lol... dog treats, small animal treats, birds will eat it too!!!!