Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

Has anyone ever had a change if heart and decided they were not sure they wanted to have vsg ? I keep going back and forth, should I give it one more try loosing weight on my own ?

I started going to see a dietician today and soon to see a physiatrist to talk about my food issues.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josie

I spent a year torturing myself over this decision. During that time, I tried a variety of programs (in addition to the lifetime of things I had already tried.).... I did..

that hgc hormone thing

nutrisystems

behavior and nutrition counseling

a doctor supervised eating program

I think that year of hell helped me with my long term success. There is nothing like trying EVERYTHING that committs a person to making WLS a success!

Good luck whatever you decide.

I was the same as CowgirlJane. I tried it all, a few times with varying success. It is a personal decision, one that you have to be ready to embrace. Doubts are normal, it is major surgery. You need to follow your heart and do what is best for you - and only you will know what that is.

Unless this is a dire situation and your comorbidities, if any, are making it a necessity, take your time and be sure in whatever you decide.

Best of luck to you!!

My story is pretty much like Cowgirl Jane's. I tried everything & there was nothing left & I felt I was running out of time (or life), so I closed my eyes & jumped in! Good luck on your decision!

I don't know your exact circumstances obviously but I have spent almost my entire adult gaining and losing weight. Every time I have lost weight through diet and exercise I have felt really great and felt like I was on track to reach my goal and then eventually I have had something get in the way that broke me out of the healthy habits (frequently injuries) and I have gained the weight back plus more. I had the exact same doubts and questions you are expressing now but I realized that cancelling the surgery and doing the same thing all over again and expecting different results was truly crazy. I was just afraid of the surgery and the changes it will require in my life to all of the familiar things that I have loved for so long. It's a big change and a big commitment. I got my sleeve 8/13 and I am taking it one day at a time. Whatever decision you make, I wish you the very best, but please make sure you understand WHY you are making that decision before you make it.

Since the surgery is irreversible, I would want to be sure before I did it. Do you feel you can do this on your own and succeed? Have you done it before and kept the weight off for a long time? If so, it might make sense to try again.

For me, nothing was working. I was eating very little and was still unable to lose it. When I did, it was always through drastic means and it would all come back even higher than before. I went into this with zero doubts and was very sure that i was not going to be able to do it on my own.

Having said that, I read posts here all the time about people who vacillated until the moment of the surgery so I think it comes down to how decisive you are. I am very decisive. If I'm waffling, there's a good reason why, even if I can't pinpoint it, and I have learned to listen to my gut.

If you are not always decisive (read, opinionated like me, lol) then if may just be a matter of reading as much as you can, and being as sure as you can before you proceed.

My story is similar. I looked in to WLS years ago but decided to try to do it on my own. In the years after: I went back to Weight Watchers, did medifast, nutrrisystem, three dr supervised diets, lived at the gym, had a PT and GAINED over forty pounds.

When I decided to have the sugery this time, there was no hesitation. I had tried everything else, this was my last option. I am now below where I was when I went to my first WLS siminar years ago, and going strong.

I have no regrets.

That being said, this is a huge decision you can't back out of once it's done. (That was a big appeal to me. I'm good at backing out, I love that I literally can't with this.) So make sure you're ready before you do this.

Good luck!

I definitely had a few times were I questioned whether not I should have the surgery. Ultimately I looked out over my 20 year history of being morbidly obese and the countless failed diets I had tried and I knew that I needed help with my weight loss because it was clear that I could not lose weight on my own. I have been so surprised and happy with my weight loss so far and I know that this was the right choice for me.

I have lost and gained 100's of pounds over my life and tried everything except hypnotism...That is just freaky!!!

I was on a 4 year waiting list and to be honest...If I had been called the first 2 years i would have not been ready..But as everything kept failing and my life was getting more difficult it made perfect sense to me to do this..I never ever lost this much weight on any other diet and never felt this good either....55 and getting healthier....wow

For me it was the only solution left....i went through a lot after the surgery due to complications....5 months in hospital to be exact..But I would do it all again if I knew I could feel so much better...I am off blood pressure meds and stomach meds now......

That is only 1 benefit..But as Jason -in-Texas said be sure you understand why you are doing this and think through all your other options...If you decide to do it.....We are here to encourage and help anyway we can....

All the best!

I was initially scheduled for gastric bypass ( I initially wanted sleeve but I had reflux that was not being controlled). I cancelled two days before surgery. I got scared and decided I could lose weight on my own. I put on twenty pounds pretty quickly and scheduled an appointment with my surgeon. We talked about my fears, developed a plan for addressing my reflux, and scheduled sleeve surgery. you have to do this in your own time. But, I am so glad I did. That feeling of powerlessness and helplessness is gone. I am 3 months out and down 47 pounds from my pre-sleeve weight at this point. It is so to have this tool and see things moving in the right direction.

I had my surgery on July 24th at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC with Dr. Daniel Herron...... I tried everything under the sun to lose weight....however, I did not stay with psychotherapy when I should have tried that along with a trainer and a nutrisionist..... I have lost 40 pounds and still have a ways to go...it is not an easy decision.....it took me more than two years to try and do something about my weight.....I did not however, want to deal with why I gained so much weight in the first place..... now, I have to go through those minefields.....I was going to go to MExico and had a flight and surgeon chosen..... I am SO GLAD that I did not go to Mexico and to Dr. Gueillermo Alvarez for the procedure.....I know that in reading the many posts here...what some people say is that they had a good experience....I, on the other hand did some investigation and felt that he was not the surgeon for me.....I wanted to find someone with post graduate training in a bonafide fellowship post graduate program...... and not, show his resume that means nothing.....going to a weekend meeting and gathering afew cme points held in a nice vacation spot and sponsored by an american surigical society....was not enough.....to convince me to put my life in his hands.,,,my insurance did not pay for most of it but, I am working it out with the surgeons office....whatever you choose to do......I wish you the best of health and the best of luck.......all the best....R

I'm a numbers gal. WLS is statistically the best chance of losing and keeping it off. I knew I wasn't one of the very few that can so it by diet and exercise alone. If you feel like you got it in you to be one of those, then go for it!

I think to summarize what a lot of people have said (and was true for me) ... be sure to exhaust every means possible before VSG. This is a drastic, life altering procedure. I'd say somewhere between marriage and having children, for me.

It makes me crazy reading posts from people who say they regret the surgery and wish they would have tried a diet instead. (You mean you haven't tried that a dozen times already? ... Really?)

I have lost and gained 100's of pounds over my life and tried everything except hypnotism...That is just freaky!!!

Yup, I even tried hypnotism. What I found is that I'm a giggler and couldn't stop laughing at the guy. His "calm/sexy" voice was really corny and hilarious. Yes, it is freaky!!

My story is similiar to many above...for 2 years my Dr wouldn't approve me for surgery (recommend/refer me to the program). During that time and under her supervision I did the Hcg, pills, gluten-free, vegetarian, etc. You name it I tried it.

Finally after 2 years I told her that I was either going to drop her or leave with a referral. She submitted the referral during that visit. It took another year to finally have surgery but during the WLS program I kept thinking couldn't I just lose this on my own. I kept going even though I had my doubts.

What you're feeling is absolutely normal. I'm glad I kept going. I knew deep down, this was my best option to get the weight off and keep it off. I haven't looked back since.