Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it normal for weight loss to slow after several months?

I've gone from 279 pre-surgery weight to 209, about 14 weeks following the sleeve surgery. Losing now about 1 pound a week, despite strenuous daily exercise and maintaining my diet.

Can I expect this to continue till I get to my goal which is 185, or is this the "dreaded stall" that I hear much about?

Everyone loses differently, friend. I am only 2 months out and average 1.5 to 2 pound losses only. I am sure that you will get some more creative ideas, but a loss is a loss, so hurrah!

You have done amazing so far.....Yes weight loss slows down the closer you get to goal....It cannot be a stall because you are still losing weight...People who stall gain a bit and then lose a bit..or stay the same possibly for months......

You need to look at this differently....celebrate the loss you have and take this time to build muscle. 14 weeks is not a long time to start worrying about it esp. with how much you have already dropped..that is 5 lbs a week up until now....You really didn't think you would continue like that did you....

Your body has changed so much and it is going to protect itself from possible harm....It is an amazing machine...enjoy your journey and all the best....To me your doing great!!!!!!!!!

I've gone from 279 pre-surgery weight to 209, about 14 weeks following the sleeve surgery. Losing now about 1 pound a week, despite strenuous daily exercise and maintaining my diet.

Can I expect this to continue till I get to my goal which is 185, or is this the "dreaded stall" that I hear much about?

I think youv'e done really well. I am 16 weeks out and have lost 50lb I am a 4X week/hour per day exerciser working with weights also, keeping calories between 850-1000. I think my body is doing what it wants at this point. I am trying to change up my workouts, and my diet some. My trainer suggested that when you workout the same way all the time and eat the same things all the time its easy for your body to slow down a little. I started taking some of the cardio kickboxing classes and walking outside on my hilly 3 mile road instead of the treadmill this week, so we will see if the loss picks up again. I am like you and only have been loosing about 1lb per week for the past 5 weeks. FRUSTRATING, when you are putting so much work in. I went shopping yesterday with my daughters and was very disapointed not to have went down another size. I guess thats why we chose the sleeve though, it will help keep us in line through this frustration, not throw our hands in the air and say forget it like I used to.

Hi im out two months and was enjoying the sweet life last week I gained a lb I almost freaked this week down one . I feel your frustration and agree the scale should be moving. Think about the science behind this If your caloric intake is less than burned you should loose. My net diary anylizes your daily intake and tells you what you loose in a day technically I should be loosing 4-5 lbs a week going by what I eat and exercise, not 1 measely pound. I think theres more to this I just dont know what it could be. Everyone thinks youshould be greatful for how far you have come and yes we are. But if you put in the time to workout and for me my zumba class is so amped up when I get home Im literally am exausted , its only natural you want those results. good luck to you shoota and everyone else. Hopefully soon we will see the numbers we deserve for all our hard work.

Hi im out two months and was enjoying the sweet life last week I gained a lb I almost freaked this week down one . I feel your frustration and agree the scale should be moving. Think about the science behind this If your caloric intake is less than burned you should loose. My net diary anylizes your daily intake and tells you what you loose in a day technically I should be loosing 4-5 lbs a week going by what I eat and exercise, not 1 measely pound. I think theres more to this I just dont know what it could be. Everyone thinks youshould be greatful for how far you have come and yes we are. But if you put in the time to workout and for me my zumba class is so amped up when I get home Im literally am exausted , its only natural you want those results. good luck to you shoota and everyone else. Hopefully soon we will see the numbers we deserve for all our hard work.

Bella, you know that it's soooooo very complicated. You're doing the right things, after your hormones, cycle, and fate settle down, the FAT pounds will go away!

Bella, you know that it's soooooo very complicated. You're doing the right things, after your hormones, cycle, and fate settle down, the FAT pounds will go away!

LMAO From your mouth to gods ears!

The closer you get to goal the slower it gets lol

The closer you get to goal the slower it gets lol

This is true, but makes me second guess my choices. I tell myself if these are true life changes I've made I should be ok with what I loose or don't. I find it difficult to get out of the mindset of diet successfully-quick results. I want to be free, and happily submit to the restriction of my sleeve and not carry this burden of worrying about failing anymore.

This is true' date=' but makes me second guess my choices. I tell myself if these are true life changes I've made I should be ok with what I loose or don't. I find it difficult to get out of the mindset of diet successfully-quick results. I want to be free, and happily submit to the restriction of my sleeve and not carry this burden of worrying about failing anymore.[/quote']

You'll get there be patient continue making good choices I try to be good 80% of the time. Im human I like eating bad at times. I would so be at goal already if I didn't have that cookie or few bites of cake lol

This is true, but makes me second guess my choices. I tell myself if these are true life changes I've made I should be ok with what I loose or don't. I find it difficult to get out of the mindset of diet successfully-quick results. I want to be free, and happily submit to the restriction of my sleeve and not carry this burden of worrying about failing anymore.

Well, looking at your profile, you have had great success thus far! Forget QUICK -- remember FOREVER!!!

Sometimes I feel like my old 300 pound self is chasing after the new version of me with a keg of beer and a giant pizza, waiting for me to stumble so he can stuff it all down my throat. It may be time to chill out a bit...

I've been struggling with watching my calorie intake. I am a teacher & of course lacked a schedule this Summer. I found my self snacking more often & eating carbs like chips. I also enjoyed a few too many adult beverages & because of the heat some Gatoraide. I gained 1.5lbs over a week & flipped......I'm only 7 mo post op....way too soon to gain anything! That night I went back to only eating every 4 hr if I was hungry, Protein first, logging my point in myfitnesspal, and no liquid calories. I dropped 2 lbs the next week. I got comfortable with my sleeve & life, I thought I could eat or drink whatever because I "couldn't" gain weight. I think it's a constant battle we are going to have forever, but thank God the tool is still there for us to use. My preop weight was 241 & now I'm at 171, about 25 lbs from my goal and I only lose 1-2 lbs per week, I'm adding exercise now to try & help this last 25 come off.