Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whaddya mean no sweets?

Oh noooooooo!

This Monday I had my first appointment with the surgeon I'm going to go with, and really? No pastries ever again? No cake? No ice cream? Not even a little bit? What am I gonna eat on my birthday? What am I gonna eat when I'm depressed? What about my mom's homemade Cookies? :(

I eat fudgecicles, I've had a bite of cake, I've had a bite of this and that. Not going to deprive myself. I'm good with a taste.....The thing about the sleeve, you can only eat so much...and you eat the Proteins and vegies first....doesn't leave room for anything but a taste...

Oh noooooooo!

This Monday I had my first appointment with the surgeon I'm going to go with' date=' and really? No pastries ever again? No cake? No ice cream? Not even a little bit? What am I gonna eat on my birthday? What am I gonna eat when I'm depressed? What about my mom's homemade Cookies? :([/quote']

I will say most people are able to eat these things again. But it's best to try and learn new behaviors

Like not associating birthdays with food.

And depression? Filling the hole with food is a definitely Not a good thing to do anymore...

Counseling and surgery go hand in hand, it may be a good thing for you to look into.

Okies, so it's gonna be easier to do post-surgery. I thought I was supposed to start this before surgery. I should call my doctor then...

And yes, I know I'm due for a little counseling. :(

For most of us and I'm talking about those of us that are further out.. say past the sixth month mark. Eating ice cream and cake, any kind of junk really becomes easy to do. There are ways to eat around the sleeve so it's important to get a handle on the emotional aspect too.

Don't be fooled .... my sleeve limits me on Proteins and veggies, but sweets simply slide right on past my restriction. I can easily gain weight if I hit the pastries or candy bars. And they don't bother my sleeve whatsoever.

There's nothing wrong with a little taste of birthday cake....but using food to dull depression or even "bad days" is a bad habit that got alot of us here. Really try to be strict with yourself during those first 6 months or so to develop new habits and coping techniques and maximize your weight loss.

I'm not saying I eat sweats every day. My daughters wedding shower a few weeks ago I had a taste of cake. I'm probably 99.9% good and sticking to it...but I've really learned moderation and I'm not going to let this chance at being a new healthy me self destruct.

I really hope that I can have small portions of the food I used to enjoy in a restaurant. I don't want to permanently deprive myself of an occasional lobster, Pasta or dessert. Does anyone in here ever eat these things again????

I really hope that I can have small portions of the food I used to enjoy in a restaurant. I don't want to permanently deprive myself of an occasional lobster' date=' Pasta or dessert. Does anyone in here ever eat these things again????[/quote']

You may find that your tastes change after your surgery. A lot of things are too rich or too sweet. I had some fried things tonight -- and it's been 3 months since I've had anything fried -- and it just tasted greasy. I'm going to remember that feeling. I find that I don't want the things I used to eat before. I'm much happier with my foods now (lean meats, no sugar or flour, well-cooked veggies, yogurt, eggs).

my taste have changed since surgery. Last year I could have eaten every bag of candy corn m&m's that were ever made. I saw this at the store this morning and bought a bag. I figured I would have 2 or 3 and then make Cookies for my physical therapy group as a thank you for the amazing care they have been giving me. I ate 2 and they tastes like crap. I thought maybe they had changed the recipe, so I had my mom taste them, nope, exactly the same as last year. I just didn't like the taste anymore. They were like pure sugar. The NUT warned me that this might happen, and sure enough it did.

Why no lobster? I'm allergic, myself, but my favorite meals now are shrimp, crab, scallops, etc.

I eat frozen nf/sf yogurt, a small bite or two of a brownie, a Hershey kiss here and there... Difference is, I savor it instead of horsing it down without tasting it. I log it and I stay under my calories, fat and carbs.

I don't recommend this if a small bite will set you up for failure, though. I didn't get fat off sweets, so these are not my downfall. You will not see me trying chips or other fatty salty Snacks. That's where my house of cards will collapse.

This is one reason why I do not buy the diet foods like Protein Bars. Too much like candy bars. I do have some high Protein soy crunchies and they are great for dipping in cottage cheese It takes me 3 or 4 days to go thru a 1 serving bag.

Lobster is protein! Just depends how you prepare it. You may not want it dripping in butter.

Soooo I'm an uber bad girl. At the end of my first week, after everyone else went to bed, I snuck downstairs to the kitchen and ate some leftover pizza, brownies, and an ice cream bar. I felt soooo sick after!

There is a saying that I see on alot of the forums:

You are having surgery on your stomach, not your head.

The most successful long term sleevers deal with their head "issues" BEFORE they have surgery and keep on working on them afterwards. I would highly suggest talking to a GOOD therapist, one that deals with bariatric patients and/or eating disorders/disordered eating.

Good luck!