Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any sole providers here?

We recently decided my husband should quit his job until our girls (7,2, and 3 months) are bigger. I make 3.5 times as much as he did and it was just dumb to keep him working to pay someone else to raise our kids.

Anyway the pressure is on. I want my surgery so badly. But I just came off maternity leave and we are behind as it is. I can probably swing 2 weeks off but absolutely nothing more than that. I'm a nurse but work nights so it's not terribly physically demanding. If I were to have complications and need to take longer off work, my family is screwed. How do I decide what to do? Everything I do is for them, this is the only thing I want for me.

Im a sole practitioner and the main bread winner in my family too. My surgery is on Friday and I have appearances on Court on Monday. I plan on going, taking it easy, and going home early if I need to. I have more flexibility because it is my firm but I have talked to quite a few people with more traditional jobs and they say they have gone back without issues.

Does your job offer short term and/or long term disability? Both usually only pay put 60% (on average) of your gross pay, but it could at least give you some peace of mind maybe?

I admire your courage to move to one income household. I pray I'll be able to do the same thing when I have kids!

I applaud you and your husband to want to raise your own children. I was a floor nurse at the time I had surgery I worked mostly nights in a small ICU. (now I'm a case manager). I worked every weekend at the time. Took off to Mexico Monday, surgery Tuesday back home Friday and then back to work the following Friday. No one was the wiser. No one at work knows to this day. I wore an surgical abdominal binder under my uniform to keep me held in tight, asked for help when moving any patients ect. Surgery in Mexico is about $5000.00 and worth every bit. I feel good, look great naked and in clothes. Keep doing research, there are ways to make it happen. Sometimes being a nurse we are our own worse enemies, because we know what "could" happen with procedures. Good Luck with what you choose to do. Linda

Again way to go raising your own children. We did that 30 years ago would not have changed anything.

I applaud you and your husband to want to raise your own children. I was a floor nurse at the time I had surgery I worked mostly nights in a small ICU. (now I'm a case manager). I worked every weekend at the time. Took off to Mexico Monday' date=' surgery Tuesday back home Friday and then back to work the following Friday. No one was the wiser. No one at work knows to this day. I wore an surgical abdominal binder under my uniform to keep me held in tight, asked for help when moving any patients ect. Surgery in Mexico is about 5000.00 and worth every bit. I feel good, look great naked and in clothes. Keep doing research, there are ways to make it happen. Sometimes being a nurse we are our own worse enemies, because we know what "could" happen with procedures. Good Luck with what you choose to do. Linda

Again way to go raising your own children. We did that 30 years ago would not have changed anything.[/quote']

Ugh, yes. Ignorance is definitely bliss. I wish I didnt have knowledge on this subject.

Does your job offer short term and/or long term disability? Both usually only pay put 60% (on average) of your gross pay' date=' but it could at least give you some peace of mind maybe?

I admire your courage to move to one income household. I pray I'll be able to do the same thing when I have kids![/quote']

Yes I have std benefits but I'm only technically part time which is 2 days a week (I work way more than that) but it only would give me 60% of the 2 days so.. 200$? Lol

I teach and only plan to take two weeks off. I am scheduled for December 20 so that the two Weeks (Winter Break) will be paid without using sick days.

I'm a Nurse too. I had my Surgery on Aug. 1st, and am scheduled to go back to work on the 19th. I was starting to worry because of complications due to a hiatal hernia repair done at the time of my surgery, but I'm really feeling a lot better then I was just a few days ago. I don't think I'll have any problems going back to work on Monday. Good luck.

No I typed that too quick and just fixed it so it actually makes sense I will be going in on Monday. I dont really do anything other than walk, sit and stand so I figure it will be ok.

I'm a single mom and I took one week off from my stand up job. It was enough time off. The main reason I had surgery was my fear of all the health problems I was sure to get from being so over weight. I kept thinking what was going to become of me in 10 years? I knew there was no way I could stand on my feet and continue to run my business. So I figured maybe having complications from surgery was a smaller risk then knowing I was definitely going to have complications from being so over weight.