Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 11 weeks out , sleeved on 5/29 - I am so lost right now as to what I can and can't eat or what I should or shouldn't be eating . I have ZERO appetite , the smell of food makes me feel hungry but when it comes down to it I just can't eat , it makes me gag . Yesterday my diet consisted of a cheese stick and some fruit cocktail in lite juice . My protien shakes make me sick & my Vitamins make me sick . I am drinking lots of Water and green tea , but my finger tips feel funny and are all wrinkly looking , my fiance says it means I am dehydrated . I called my surgeon he pretty much told me my surgery is over and I have healed nicely that his job is done unless it's a surgery related issue , I wasnt made to see a NUT so I am in the dark . I am losing weight at a decent pace but how could I not with not eating , I am so worried about my protien and Vitamin intake - anyone out as far a sme have any ideas for meal ideas that may spark the hunger in me , or any other advice that may help ?

I have not had surgery yet, but I have done a TON of research. You seem to be in a rough place and it might be mind over matter to get through it. Make sure what you do consume is Protein rich. Find the least offensive food that you can handle and make sure to eat. And drink lots of fluids. Then slowly build yourself back up. Just like before you had the surgery, having an empty stomach cannot be good. Especially trying to take supplements. Eat a little something, then take your supplements. It may help. I am sure there are folks out there with better ideas, someone who has been through it. Just keep trying and good luck!

I'm 3 weeks out tomorrow and I understand some of your frustration. My surgeons office has had me talk to their dietician about 7 or 8 times. If it makes you feel any better, it was no help at all. Each time we reviewed the same handout. That's helpful. I told them the Protein was making me sick and the nurse practitioner said, basically, too bad. Suck it up. I think surgeons like cutting things out and that's the extent of it. It's now up to us to figure it all out. I quit following my doctors plan (because it was causing stomach pain, severe nausea and diarrhea, so no haters please). I am trying to learn what my body wants. I tried a scrambled egg a week ago and I ate less than a quarter of it and it felt like I had swallowed a brick. Today I tried again with an over medium egg at our annual first day of school Breakfast out and I ate 80 percent and that went down amazing and I loved it. I am drinking lots of iced tea from McDonald's (unsweet, full caffeine). I love it, it goes down great and I'm finally able to get in all my fluids. In other words, I have no solid advice, but keep trying things you like and that aren't unsafe. I'm not getting all my protein in, but I have a few tablespoons of high protein choices I like. Some I don't like now, some disagree with me, but sometimes I find a surprise hit. Some I have loved are Hormel turkey chili, panera Tomato Soup strained, chicken pot pie, vegetable Soup, tilapia, Peanut Butter on a saltine or ritz. I can't get much down, so if I have a few crackers, I'm not sweating it. Crackers help my nausea the best. Anyway. I'm rambling. Sorry you are suffering. Change is hard in perfect circumstances and we have to add in that our stomachs are pissed:)

At this point, you can probably try to get your Proteins from whole foods and not the shakes. I could not do the shakes post-op...they ALL make me sick. So I do meats during the day.

A few things I noticed, you said you are doing green tea...stop that for a while, you do sound dehydrated and tea dehydrates. Try to just stick with Water (flavored with MiO/CL if you have to).

Next, even if you are not hungry...eat. It really is that simple. I go from hunger to stuffed. I started buying small snack size baggies and I put small meats (or other heavy Proteins if you are a vegetarian) in them and carry them with me. I eat based on time because sometimes I'll look up and realize I skipped a meal because the hunger didn't kick in when I thought it would.

Take a few small bites, wait a few minutes, then repeat for about a half hour. I found I can keep my food down this way. If I try to just eat I throw it all up. It sucks but it is the only way to nourish my body.

Avoid cheese for a bit, unless it is cottage cheese. It seems like you are using this as your main staple and while it is a healthy choice, your focus right now should be meats/heavier proteins if you are vegetarian. If you can do greek yogurt, try that also. Don't worry about adding extra Protein if it makes you sick.

Do this for a week or so and you may find you feel a bit better about things. The key is to time your meals if you have no hunger. It really is the only way to get it all in.

My surgeon's diet after 5 weeks of clears, full liquid and puréed was to move on to lean Proteins, veggies and low sugar fruits. He does not recommend any bread, crackers, tortillas or anything like that until after 6 months out.

I so feel for you. I was sleeved 2 weeks before you and have very few problems with eating. Have you tried cottage cheese? Not the nasty fat-free stuff, I eat the 4% cottage cheese. 1/2 a cup fills me up. Also, I can eat 4oz of sugar-free Greek yogurt mixed with sugar-free preserves and Splenda.

If you are near a Boston Market, their chicken is moist and easy to eat. I get it with their mashed potatoes which are delish. Another thing I find easy to eat is about 1/2 of a cup of Panera Bread's broccoli cheese Soup. You can also get a 2oz portion of their chicken, cut it into small pieces and drop it into the soup. Makes a really nice chicken broccoli cheesy casserole-like dish.

Can you eat sugar-free Popsicles, or Edy's sugar-free juice bars? That will help get liquids in.

Finally, have you seen your primary physician? Maybe they can refer you to a good nutritionist and post-op support program? Or, can you contact your insurance company? Mine assigned a nurse advocate to me for any problems like this ( which thankfully I haven't had).

Good luck! Let us know if any of this is helpful.

lost right now as to what I can and can't eat - wasnt made to see a NUT so I am in the dark

determinedsleever70

71 lbs down!!!! (some of that maybe pre-op??)

terrific job :)

i cringed when i read what you doc said "about his job being done"

i get what he said - but i don't think that he was right/nice about what he said

he knew you were having problems, he should have guided you better with a little info - or tell you where you could go ;)

you weren't required to see a NUT ................ will insurance cover one??

if ins doen't cover, can you afford to go at least once ????

NUT would give you paperwork/pamphlets with LOTS of info, answers to your questions

this info would be very helpful/nescessary - Vitamins, Protein, Water et al

sounds like you should be eating more

at almost 3 months PO - if the shakes make you sick - don't even try them anymore

you should be getting Protein from your food

greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg

chicken, fish, meats

can't improve on all the good suggestions given "above" by TwinsMama/cindymg et al

chew thoroughly, stop eating - then try again

very slowly, small bites

you must eat!!!!

glad you are losing weight, but you must try and keep your strength up

per your smart fiance (he chose to marry you, right!!! ;) ) you are probably dehydrated :ph34r:

you say you are drinking "lots" of water

64 oz at least???

it would be great if you could meet with a NUT

and maybe find a support group (surgeons office should help you with that)

take care bud

feel better

good luck

kathy

congrats on your weight loss

Look up After Weight Loss Surgery on Amazon and you will see several books to help you.

ht tp://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-Cookbook-Dummies/dp/0470640189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376321749&sr=8-1&keywords=recipes+after+bariatric+surgery

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Post-Weight-Surgery-Cookbook/dp/1440503869/ref=pd_sim_b_5

here are a couple basic ones to help get you started. I picked up the Dummies one myself and found it to be useful.