Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mourning the loss of my post-op taste buds

And oh man, I STILL can't eat Pasta or rice in anything more than teeny tiny bites. And only a few of those at that. I know I should be thankful and it's for the best, but really? And bread still stuffs me so I'm still eating only a few bites of it if it accompanies a meal. I can eat those foods and they taste wonderful but I can't eat hardly any of it. So I guess my gripe would be restriction, even though I know that it's something to be hugely grateful about.

But I still miss flour tortillas!

~Cheri

Cheri- would tortilla chips suffice as a replacement for flour tortillas? I've been able to try both around 6 months post op. Tortilla chips are a bit easier to eat and they are "free" when eating out as Mexican restaurants. Just do not eat too many of them. :)

Cheri- would tortilla chips suffice as a replacement for flour tortillas? I've been able to try both around 6 months post op. Tortilla chips are a bit easier to eat and they are "free" when eating out as Mexican restaurants. Just do not eat too many of them. :)

Oh tortilla chips ARE THE DEVIL! :P

That was my food of choice before surgery, I kid you not I could eat them all day. Plain, with salsa and cheese, made into nachos....

I would fill bowl after bowl of them through out the day... Sadly I still love them and can stuff large amounts. :(

I can easily eat tortilla chips. And while I do like salty, crunch Snacks far more than I did prior to surgery, I tend to avoid them unless I'm at a restaurant and eating the ones that are freshly fried. I keep them out of my house due to the 'ole "If I can't make it, I don't need to eat it" rule that I keep. I can make them but it's royal PITA to make tortillas and then cut them up to fry them. Seriously. I can do it and did do it in Bishkek where I had no other options but it takes forever. By the time you're done you're like, "WTH was I doing and why would I want these stupid tortilla chips, anyway?"

No, I want real flour tortillas so I can eat things like tacos and burritos (ha, I have to laugh because I'm never going to be able to eat one of those again) or even enchiladas. I prefer all of these foods with corn tortillas but my husband refuses to eat them the right way and insists on flour. But I can't eat the flour ones. So we're at an impasse and these foods don't get made around here anymore. I miss being able to eat a soft taco now and again!

~Cheri

And oh man, I STILL can't eat Pasta or rice in anything more than teeny tiny bites. And only a few of those at that. I know I should be thankful and it's for the best, but really? And bread still stuffs me so I'm still eating only a few bites of it if it accompanies a meal. I can eat those foods and they taste wonderful but I can't eat hardly any of it. So I guess my gripe would be restriction, even though I know that it's something to be hugely grateful about.

But I still miss flour tortillas!

~Cheri

Same for me with the bread, Pasta and tortillas. I'm ok with it, glad it fills me right up. It doesn't taste like I'm eating flour anymore so that's good. If I want a sandwich I eat a couple bites with the bread and then pick it apart and eat the insides.

I am also a picky eater now. Picky meaning I pick my food apart and pick out the parts that I really want to eat.

I also agree about the baked goods. I have always liked to bake, now I LOVE to bake.Baking is a hobby for me, a stress reliever (I know it sounds funny but it's true) and as long as I'm not eating much of it I figure it's an ok hobby to have. I do it a few times a week. We also have a couple pieces and then seem to end up throwing so much out. But, I have been sharing it with everyone... neighbors, people at church, sending it to work with my husband, etc. I don't feel as bad about the waste as I used to, I have kind of learned that living with my sleeve means there will be waste.

Oh tortilla chips ARE THE DEVIL! :P

That was my food of choice before surgery, I kid you not I could eat them all day. Plain, with salsa and cheese, made into nachos....

I would fill bowl after bowl of them through out the day... Sadly I still love them and can stuff large amounts. :(

I shouldn't have liked this comment because I don't really like it. :D I can also eat tons of tortilla chips. I have to stay away from them they go down way too easy and don't fill me up...slider! Once in a while I do like to have nachos. I make them with chicken and that way I only eat a few chips with black Beans, chicken taco "meat", cheese and homemade pico!

I shouldn't have liked this comment because I don't really like it. :D I can also eat tons of tortilla chips. I have to stay away from them they go down way too easy and don't fill me up...slider! Once in a while I do like to have nachos. I make them with chicken and that way I only eat a few chips with black beans' date=' chicken taco "meat", cheese and homemade pico![/quote']

Sounds good. Chips are def a slider for me so I stay away unless I am eating out at a Mexican restaurant and them I have a few.

Sarsar, the chicken nachos sound good! Gonna try that

Anybody made Kale chips?

Sounds good. chips are def a slider for me so I stay away unless I am eating out at a Mexican restaurant and them I have a few.

Sarsar, the chicken nachos sound good! Gonna try that

Anybody made Kale chips?

Yup, I have made Kale chips but I don't really think of them as chips because they are so thin. They aren't bad. I put them on a pan, sprinkle them with some EVOO, and sea salt. I bake them at 425 for a few minutes till they are crispy.

Yup' date=' I have made Kale chips but I don't really think of them as chips because they are so thin. They aren't bad. I put them on a pan, sprinkle them with some EVOO, and sea salt. I bake them at 425 for a few minutes till they are crispy.[/quote']

Would they "hold up" for nachos?

Hi all,

Only a few things taste different for me. Only artificial sweetener I can tolerate is Splenda. Whatever is in sugar free pudding didn't used to bother me but now I can taste it big time. Someone recommended using sugar free pudding mix with the greek yogurt. Yuck! And I'm losing my taste for Spaghetti Sauce because it gives me heartburn. Also less prone to go nuts on sweets or fats for more than one day running because I feel crappy the next day (not to mention the weight gain!).

Lynda

Would they "hold up" for nachos?

No, I can't imagine how they would. They are so thin and crispy.

No' date=' I can't imagine how they would. They are so thin and crispy.[/quote']

Shoot!!!! :)

I've made the kale chips.....not even close to a substitute for real chips...they are good though. I'd actually rather make oven roasted asparagus. You make it the same way as kale chips...just with asparagus. Much more filling.

I've made the kale chips.....not even close to a substitute for real chips...they are good though. I'd actually rather make oven roasted asparagus. You make it the same way as kale chips...just with asparagus. Much more filling.

Gonna try that. Do you leave the asparagus whole. What temp? How long?

Gonna try that. Do you leave the asparagus whole. What temp? How long?

Yes I leave it whole....just get them good and oily with EVOO, I think 375 for 15-20 minutes, depending on how crispy you want them. I like them crispy....they come out tasting like green French fries.