Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant get protien or fluid in!

I am 2 weeks post op and no matter how much I try I can't seem to get in my 70-90 grams of Protein and 64oz of liquid. Do any of you have any suggestions of what I can do??

I am almost three months and I still cannot get either goal. My nut says thats ok for now and to focus on the Water. But it does help to get one shake (4-6 oz) in a day, and to get some Protein that mixes with Water, like the Syntax nectar.

It will get better and I am noticing I am able to take in more liquid than before. Just keep at it the best you can.

I will be 3 weeks out on Tuesday and I can get the liquids in but I am not getting the Protein in. I'm sensitive to lactose and whey now. My doctors office had no suggestion on how to help me so I moved myself up to solids and I'm doing the best I can. That's really all you can do. Some sleeves are cooperative from day one it seems, and others aren't. I feel like my surgeon threw me to the wolves. Seems like you have to figure it out on your own. I was all panicked at first, and then I just figured, I've been preparing for the famine for 20 years and its finally here. Our bodies are made for this. In an ideal world we could all meet all these goals right off that bat, but I can't and I'm not going to die. Just know you aren't alone. You can private message me anytime you need encouragement. Hang in there. Hopefully your sleeve will get it together soon (and mine too;)).

I'm 4 mos post of and still can't get that much in. My surgeon's not worried - told me to just keep trying.

It will get better with time. I wasn't able to meet my goals until about 6 months post op and I sometimes still struggle but I try to eat every 2-3 hours. My advice to you is drink Protein shakes! Protein Shakes count towards my liquid goal and if you find them to be too thick then add Water to them. Drinking liquids should start to get easier around 1 month post op but it will still be kind of hard. Also if you wake up during the night try and sip on some more water. Trust me it will get better :)

I am a little over 2 months post op and I too feel without direction. I can eat I can drink but almost everything tastes bad I take a bite or two and im done so I can't get enough of nutrients in. Im still struggling with nasuea and my nausea meds don't have a refill available. I also have a Gluten allergy and dairy. Im starting to feel like this surgery may not have been the best choice for me. I feel like I can't enjoy this new body because im feeling sick all the time. Can anyone relate?

I will be 3 weeks out on Tuesday and I can get the liquids in but I am not getting the Protein in. I'm sensitive to lactose and whey now..

So you weren't sensitive to either before the surgery? I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

Yes, gorgeous, I had the stomach of steel prior to this. I ate healthy foods, junk foods and everything in between with no problem. Now lactose and whey tear me up. And, just to make it fun, I had my gallbladder out too, so if I eat something with fat it in, that will upset my stomach too. However, now that I've figured out what the problems are, and ditched the guilt over not following my doctors plan (which for me was, just suffer), I am doing better. I feel so much better now that I'm not trying to force the whey down. I am not hitting my Protein goals, but I'm working on it. Plus, to tell you the truth, I just want to be healthy more than anything else. I'm losing weight, I'm eating tiny amounts of healthy foods that agree with me, like fish and steamed spinach. Even with the deficits in protein and low caloric intake, I still feel better today than I have in 20 years. I was poisoning myself with food, so this is a sort of detox fast I guess:). I really need(Ed) to learn to listen to my body and this is just part of my journey. Listening to what my body was telling me and standing up for myself has been empowering. So, it has been a little difficult, but I wouldn't trade my experience. This sleeve has turned me into a rah, rah, you go girl. I'm my own cheerleader!! I should have done his years ago. I love my sleeve and I love my forties;)

Hang in there. I'm 8 weeks post op and I'm having the hardest time to take all of liquids in. I have had a horrible experience with the sleeve. I was nauseous from day one I stayed in the hospital longer than I should have right after surgery because I couldn't keep my liquids in. When I was home from the hospital on average I had 24-30 oz a day. Which I ended up 4 times in the ER with dehydration and the last time I was in the ER I stayed for two weeks in the hospital. I'm now home with a pic line and I get infused with a TPN bag that has all of my nutrients and sugar and fat our bodies need. I get Migraines all the time and the thought of food sickens me because of the Nausea. I'm going on my third week of this And I still struggle to keeps fluids in. I'm not trying to scare you. I'm trying to help you prevent all of this to happen to you. Try your best to sip even if you have to set a timer for every 7 minutes to sip on Water or Protein Shake. I'm on Zofran, Reglan nausea patch and I'm still nauseous. However ginger tea has help me a little and I suck on sugar free cinnamon candy. I read one thread here that Pickle Juice helps with the nausea but in stead it gave me the runs. I wish I was like sone people who's sleeves were a breeze and they are happy with the results. Unfortunately I was that 2% of people with complications. I have only lost 10 lbs in months. Try sugar free Popsicles see if that might help you get in more fluids that way. I completely understand your frustration.

I will be 3 weeks out on Tuesday and I can get the liquids in but I am not getting the Protein in. I'm sensitive to lactose and whey now. My doctors office had no suggestion on how to help me so I moved myself up to solids and I'm doing the best I can. That's really all you can do. Some sleeves are cooperative from day one it seems' date=' and others aren't. I feel like my surgeon threw me to the wolves. Seems like you have to figure it out on your own. I was all panicked at first, and then I just figured, I've been preparing for the famine for 20 years and its finally here. Our bodies are made for this. In an ideal world we could all meet all these goals right off that bat, but I can't and I'm not going to die. Just know you aren't alone. You can private message me anytime you need encouragement. Hang in there. Hopefully your sleeve will get it together soon (and mine too;)).[/quote']

I was in the health food store the other day and saw a Protein powder made from rice. That might be ok for you to try. Sorry I can't remember the brand, and it is in Australia, but you could try googling it. I can't drive til next week, 7 days post op today, but I can go and find out more next week if you would like me to. Best of luck. Jen

I cant do whey, smell and one sip makes me gag and dry heave.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/576795-protein-powder-without-whey. I looked this up and am gonna try whey free dairy free Protein powders and maybe it will b better. Apparently there are egg white kind, rice kind, vegan kind..... Stay tuned.....

Thanks Jen. My brother told me about egg Protein and when I went to GNC I found and bought soy protein and the brown rice one. I haven't tried the rice one yet. It's good to know there are alternatives.

Im n dfw area, lol, i always think to do a get together and everyone bring mixes they use and make tastings so ppl can try different ones... Anyone interested

Im n dfw area, lol, i always think to do a get together and everyone bring mixes they use and make tastings so ppl can try different ones... Anyone interested