Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a sign of overtraining?

Recently I have been feeling like I am going to throw up after a workout for last week or so. It lasts for about 20 minutes then subsides usually after a Protein Shake, drinking water/BCAA or a combination of both. It is a sign of overtraining or just that my workouts are hard? Do not read anything more into this message then is written. I love the challenge of working out an hour a day really hard and am only trying to understand where this nauseous feeling is originating from. I have been working out nonstop 5-6 days a week for about 6 months at an intense level ( kind of like an athlete).

Fiddleman,

I think this falls under the category of "if you have to ask you really know the answer". Your body has been through a lot in the last year and you are training more than the average person. It is good to give your body at least a day off as well as switch and vary exercises, as I am sure you are well aware. Have you done any searches to see what are signs of over training or pushing yourself too hard. If so, just make sure it is not one of those "macho" sites with the attitude no pain, no gain. You know your body very well, and if it is trying to give you a message I would listen to it. Just my opinion. Maybe you could check with someone who is a personal trainer and get their opinion.

Okie dokie, I will check with my trainer. I do not happen to think it is overtraining, but wanted to hear anecdotal experiences from other active folks.

I think it's a little bit of both. It could be your body doesn't have the right fuel or your workouts are too hard or you're dehydrated. I can tell when I over train when my heart rate which is now normally on the much lower side and peaks too soon and too high. I am also exhausted to get up in the morning and then continue to struggle through my workouts. When I overtrain it effects me more throughout the day than specifically during the workout. Does that make sense? But honestly everybody is so different it's what's best for your body. I am sure your trainer will have better insight, I'd love to hear what he/she says!

I only had nausea when I wasn't fuelled up enough to train. Trainer said my blood sugar was dropping too low, so I was drinking glucose drink prior to training to raise it before working out and Protein shake immediately after. Not sure how this will work with the sleeve....

5-6 days a week training over 6 months takes a toll on your body unless you are alternating between cardio and weights. I was only allowed to train on alternate days to help my body get time to rest and recuperate. Might be time to ease back on daily training for a while, shake up your body but allow it time to gather itself.

Hmmm I dont know, sounds like your doing great and I think you like pushing yourself ,and Im sure your hard work is paying off. I think your just training really hard maybe push yourself to that limit 3 times a week instead of 6 . I mean if it really bothers you, otherwise you know what to do hydrate/protein/ recouperate you should be good. Or like the ladies say check with your trainer.

Are you overheated or just nauseous? Do you eat anything before your workout? When I do too much usually my muscles just don't work to their full potential.

Good point about under fueling for the workout. Before starting, I was telling myself, I should have had my steel cut oats with Protein but too late. I had a Protein Shake a couple hours before working out and hydrated like crazy, as I usually do. One positive is I really push hard. To me, a workout is go hard or go home. Not worth the time unless I am consistently pushing beyond the point of comfort. Really gets my heart peaking out and the sweat is pouring off my face. Yes, I love a super hard workout. I am going to be sure to eat enough carbs before starting one though, every time, not just for my cross fit workouts but at home too.

Fiddle....overtraining is likely going to cause lack of athletic gains...possibly a reversal of gains. If you aren't having that, it's more likely hydration and/or fuel. At least, that's my uninformed opinion.

Fiddle....overtraining is likely going to cause lack of athletic gains...possibly a reversal of gains. If you aren't having that' date=' it's more likely hydration and/or fuel. At least, that's my uninformed opinion.[/quote']

Thanks. I always value your opinion of course. I think I have not been eating enough ( imagine that!!) before working out and then get mild dehydration during the workout, even though I make a conscious effort to chug down Water beforehand, leading up to the workout. at least 32-64 ounces. this is very easy for me to do. I even throw in coconut Water to thwart the dreaded dehydration that leads to cramping also. Combination of under nourishment of the long last good carbs ( i do always eat 2-4 of those chocolate paradise squares to prime my muscles in addition to steel oats Protein sludge - really helps!!) and perhaps under hydrated leaves me slightly nauseous at the end of a workout when I am full on balls to the wall. that is how i like my workouts. push beyond the comfort zones to make real gains. Have a nice day.

Fiddle, I have found that I push hard with my workouts with my trainer or at boot camps, harder than I do while working out on my own. During these workouts I usually have a few minutes of the "I'm going to puke" feeling. I have been told and have read (I'm studying to become a PT) that this is normal when you are pushing beyond what you are used to doing. To me, this is a good sign that I am pushing above and making strides in my workouts. I don't feel sick after the workouts, just for a few minutes during.

Do you take Water breaks during your workouts? I try to drink during my workouts but can't get enough in during...my stomach is too tight and then going right back to the workout after a water break the water is just sitting there and feels like it going to come back up. Prior to my sleeve I could chug and chug during a workout and I needed it (I loved to workout even while I was obese). I can't do that anymore. I am wondering if the water thing could be part of the problem. Like you, I also drink a ton of water leading up to my workouts.

I was also thinking that maybe you need more fule right before your workout...maybe a Protein Drink with a banana and some spinach?

It's hard to say because I am a strong believer of what works for one person might not work for the next. We have to learn to listen to our bodies and I know from reading your posts that you are on top of that!

Fiddle' date=' I have found that I push hard with my workouts with my trainer or at boot camps, harder than I do while working out on my own. During these workouts I usually have a few minutes of the "I'm going to puke" feeling. I have been told and have read (I'm studying to become a PT) that this is normal when you are pushing beyond what you are used to doing. To me, this is a good sign that I am pushing above and making strides in my workouts. I don't feel sick after the workouts, just for a few minutes during.

Do you take Water breaks during your workouts? I try to drink during my workouts but can't get enough in during...my stomach is too tight and then going right back to the workout after a Water break the water is just sitting there and feels like it going to come back up. Prior to my sleeve I could chug and chug during a workout and I needed it (I loved to workout even while I was obese). I can't do that anymore. I am wondering if the water thing could be part of the problem. Like you, I also drink a ton of water leading up to my workouts.

I was also thinking that maybe you need more fule right before your workout...maybe a Protein drink with a banana and some spinach?

It's hard to say because I am a strong believer of what works for one person might not work for the next. We have to learn to listen to our bodies and I know from reading your posts that you are on top of that![/quote']

Great response. A lot of it is resonated with me. I do not drink during my PT workout because, frankly, she says I am going to puke anyways if I try drinking. She is very good at pushing me. I have translated this same type of pushing when I do workouts at home. It is good to hear from anecdotal experience that pushing beyond comfort zone leads to "I am going to puke" syndrome. I have big goals and am making good progress, so do not plan on changing my workout style if the symptoms we discussed are to be considered normal. Again, I drink a lot of water before but sometimes do not eat enough before a workout when doing it at home. It is just a matter of timing because my at home workouts are in the morning at 9 am where my PT workouts are in the afternoon at 4 pm. I am happy to have gotten to the place post op where I can put myself though intense workouts on my own motivation and enjoy it. I could never do that before really getting fit with the help of the sleeve.

Can I say.... Yes, one persons experience is not necessarily everyone's. But for me, lack of food before a workout does not make me nauseous.... Weak possibly, but not nauseous. I've taken many early morning fasted runs of 3-5 miles with no problem. Now on a very hot day (which is all we have in Houston right now) I can feel nauseous as soon as I take a drink during a run. But it happens whether I'm fasting or not.... I'll take a a sip while still running or I'll stop to walk for a sec, and feel nauseous for 30 seconds or so. I always assumed it was just the jostling of the stomach while running.... But it's definitely worse right now during the extreme heat...... for me.

Can I say.... Yes, one persons experience is not necessarily everyone's. But for me, lack of food before a workout does not make me nauseous.... Weak possibly, but not nauseous. I've taken many early morning fasted runs of 3-5 miles with no problem. Now on a very hot day (which is all we have in Houston right now) I can feel nauseous as soon as I take a drink during a run. But it happens whether I'm fasting or not.... I'll take a a sip while still running or I'll stop to walk for a sec, and feel nauseous for 30 seconds or so. I always assumed it was just the jostling of the stomach while running.... But it's definitely worse right now during the extreme heat...... for me.

Interesting. If I don't eat bf a workout I feel nauseous when I start. I just can't do it without being having something in me, especially when I am pushing myself as hard as I can. Usually it's a Protein drink with some fruit for carbs, also I have been trying an energy type bar that is supposed to be good before a workout. It is a challenge for me because if I eat too soon before a workout I also feel nauseous, I have to time it just right with my sleeve.

I was reading on here somewhere about people fasting prior to working out. BB, it may have been you that I was reading about, I just can't remember. I did find that subject very interesting and I am planning on looking into that more as I have been playing around with the 5:2 plan but haven't fully committed to it yet.

Great response. A lot of it is resonated with me. I do not drink during my PT workout because, frankly, she says I am going to puke anyways if I try drinking. She is very good at pushing me. I have translated this same type of pushing when I do workouts at home. It is good to hear from anecdotal experience that pushing beyond comfort zone leads to "I am going to puke" syndrome. I have big goals and am making good progress, so do not plan on changing my workout style if the symptoms we discussed are to be considered normal. Again, I drink a lot of Water before but sometimes do not eat enough before a workout when doing it at home. It is just a matter of timing because my at home workouts are in the morning at 9 am where my PT workouts are in the afternoon at 4 pm. I am happy to have gotten to the place post op where I can put myself though intense workouts on my own motivation and enjoy it. I could never do that before really getting fit with the help of the sleeve.

Fiddle, looking around I found some more elaborate answers for the "I'm going to puke feeling", you may have already read all of these but here you go...

High or maximum heart rate and uncontrolled breathing, which elevates the blood pressure to heights that can give a 'sick to the stomach' feeling.

The nausea that one feels is a result of burning so much glycogen out of the muscles that the body attempts to continue muscular contraction by manufacturing more glucose out of the lactic acid that has been building up within the muscle.

<Long chemical process explanation>

The upshot of this complicated biochemical process is that when a trainee runs out of glycogen in his working muscles and his body liberates lactate into his bloodstream, his pH levels drop off markedly, producing a strong lactic acidosis and feelings of nausea.

This effect causes a drop in blood pressure (often perceived as light-headedness), and the inadequate blood flow to the abdomen produces the feeling of nausea.

A couple ways to combat this feeling:

• Increase rest time between sets to allow the body to keep up with the demands that are being placed on it
  • Consume a bit of sugar immediately upon feeling the symptoms (or beforehand if you are certain that this will be a problem).

If you feel nauseous during or after your workouts, it may be a sign that you overdid it. People often report feeling nauseous when they over-train, according to R.W. Fry and colleagues in a September 1994 article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine. Ensure that you do not get sick from over-training by verifying that your heart rate is not above 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. If you do not want to stop to measure your pulse, a good rule of thumb is that if you have to stop repeatedly to catch your breath, you are working too hard.

Nausea during or after exercise may also be a sign of a hormone disorder called pheochromocytoma. Symptoms of pheochromocytoma include a high heart rate along with headaches, sweating, chest pain and feelings of anxiety. People with pheochromocytoma often feel nauseous and vomit after exercise. Consult your doctor if your nausea and high heart rate during exercise persists despite lowering the intensity of your workout and waiting three or four hours after meals to work out.

So, it seems that the nauseous feeling after a workout can be from over training or it can be from just pushing yourself to the next level.