Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting frustrated with the scale!

I am 8 weeks out and I am just not losing like I thought I would. I have stepped up the exercise, I am eating between 500-700 calories a day, I am almost hitting my Protein everyday, and the scale stays the same. Today it actually went up a lb.! The good thing is with only 15% of my stomach, I can't do something stupid like go stuff myself! I guess I am just getting frustrated after going through surgery and restricting what I eat that the 'payoff' is not what I thought it would be.

Start weight in Feb - 255

Surgery weight June 11 - 219

Today - 191.4

Am I being crazy? Am I expecting too much from my 'tool'? My NUT said expect about 3-5 lbs per week. I called her at 5 weeks because I stopped losing at 3 weeks and she said that I can't expect 3-5 lbs per week because I would disappear. I have only lost 6 lbs in the last 20 days, that just doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions wouldbe helpful. I am thinking of doing only liquids for a week, will that help or hinder? HELP!!!

500-700 calories a day is not enough......up the calorie intake to 1000. Make sure that you are putting good solid calories in your body...not empty ones....

Stalls are normal and happen when they happen...

I only weigh myself at the surgeons office about every 6 to 8 weeks...That way I don't drive myself crazy over numbers....

scales are for fish! How much did you weigh yourself before you did this....Just let the sleeve do its job..You are geared now to lose and you will...Don't be in such a rush...It will happen...Your on your way!!!!!!!!!

I completely understand your frustration because I will be 8 weeks post-op on Tuesday and I am in the same boat. I think I have lost 4 pounds this month but yesterday I got on the scale and had gained 1.4 pounds. I am eating about 800 calories a day, which my dr. said to keep it between 800-1000. I am getting in my Protein and Water. I am walking 2 miles in just a little over 30 minutes every day. I am beyond frustrated. The only thing that is keeping me going is that my clothes do feel bigger so I think maybe I am losing inches instead of pounds but I am have to see it on the scale kind of girl! My dr. did say that if you would go back to liquids for a couple of days that it would jump start a stall. I hated every minute of liquids so I am not jumping on the band wagon to do that but I may have to. I am looking forward to seeing the responses from this post.

Teacher, I am totally a scale girl too! I have always weighed myself everyday. I can't help it, I am more addicted to that # than I am food! It helps me know where I am and if what I am doing is working. I am going to step up the calorie intake and I think I will be trying all liquid for a few days (starting tomorrow because they have a yummy chicken breast for lunch at work on Thursday's :))

I also have my husband measure me every week and those numbers are going down, but the scale is important to me.

I am nearly 2months post op as well. I stalled last week and while it was frustrating I tried to think of it like this - my body is still healing from surgery and I put it through another major shock in losing 40 lbs in 2 months.

I finally started losing again when I started doing interval cardio. I do 30-40 minutes 5 times a week on the elliptical, 15-20 of those minutes at 80% max heart rate. I also do strength training. I can personally guarantee if you do that the scale will drop again. But please stop weighing yourself so often. Once a week is plenty.

I am eating 600-700 calories as my nutritionist advised and will up it to 700-800 in another month. I think at the moment eating less calories is appropriate. We'll have bigger capacity later so enjoy the max restriction while it lasts.

Teacher, I am totally a scale girl too! I have always weighed myself everyday. I can't help it, I am more addicted to that # than I am food! It helps me know where I am and if what I am doing is working. I am going to step up the calorie intake and I think I will be trying all liquid for a few days (starting tomorrow because they have a yummy chicken breast for lunch at work on Thursday's :))

I also have my husband measure me every week and those numbers are going down, but the scale is important to me.

I should have measured before I began this journey but with weight loss before this surgery, the scale has always been my motivation. I thought about increasing my calories but I already feel like every time I turn around I am eating and I get so full so fast.

I'm also 8 weeks out and have stalled now twice. The first time at 2 weeks for 4 whole weeks. The second time at weeks 5-8 (so yup, I'm stalled AGAIN). I have lost practically nothing since being sleeved...in weight.

However, I'm now wearing clothes I haven't worn in YEARS! I also fit into places that were snug before (think bus and train seats with other people). I was frustrated at first too but now, I'm liking that the lbs are going slower than the inches...this will help my skin fare better so hopefully no droppy body.

I know the temptation of the scale but it is sooo much better to relax and go with the journey rather than stress yourself out with the scale.< /p>

Also, what type of workout are you doing? I am doing mostly strength training so I'm expecting my loss to be even slower than it has been. But I'm loving the way I'm looking in clothes/naked even at over 300 lbs. Plus, the extra compliments have been great...by losing inches people think I've lost wayyyyy more weight than I actually have.

I am doing strength and cardio. Walking/jogging 5-6x per week for anywhere from 1.5-1.75 miles. Then after cardio I do strength, I do different areas, legs one day, back one day, tris and bis one day.

I am 8 weeks out and I am just not losing like I thought I would. I have stepped up the exercise, I am eating between 500-700 calories a day, I am almost hitting my Protein everyday, and the scale stays the same. Today it actually went up a lb.! The good thing is with only 15% of my stomach, I can't do something stupid like go stuff myself! I guess I am just getting frustrated after going through surgery and restricting what I eat that the 'payoff' is not what I thought it would be.

Start weight in Feb - 255

Surgery weight June 11 - 219

Today - 191.4

Am I being crazy? Am I expecting too much from my 'tool'? My NUT said expect about 3-5 lbs per week. I called her at 5 weeks because I stopped losing at 3 weeks and she said that I can't expect 3-5 lbs per week because I would disappear. I have only lost 6 lbs in the last 20 days, that just doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions wouldbe helpful. I am thinking of doing only liquids for a week, will that help or hinder? HELP!!!

Have you tried strengh training one day and then walking the next I think some strengh training might kick you into the right gear, maybe.

I am thinking of marketing a moon scale. It is calibrated to how much you would weigh on the moon. 83.3% less. If you weight 200 on Earth you would weigh 33.2 pounds on the moon.

An alternative is the lawyers scale. You can program it to represent the truth anyway you want. You can input the desired degree of fraud.

Or maybe the sympathy scale. You input your desired rate of loss and when it runs short the scale plays a crying voice and various reasons that it is not your fault.

Ya, I know, all stupid.

I didn't go through getting gutted to change numbers on a scale. I could have done that on my analog scale by turning a dial.

I was at war with my fat.

With the help of my sleeve I whipped his hiney.

What the scale said was an object of curiosity, not the prime indicator of how the sleeve was doing.

It is physically impossible to follow a NUT and doctor prescribed program with the sleeve and not lose your fat.

Time is your friend, not your enemy if you have the right attitude toward it. Your body has it's own schedule. Time and science are your back up.

Give yourself the gift of time.

I am doing strength and cardio. Walking/jogging 5-6x per week for anywhere from 1.5-1.75 miles. Then after cardio I do strength, I do different areas, legs one day, back one day, tris and bis one day.

I'm thinking you're also building muscle too then, so that could account for the reason your loss is not as you would have liked. The body does funny things when we treat it well. It is often not at all what we would expect...WHEN we expect it. Over time it will all come together.

I definitely agree with someone above who said you should up your calories. While I strive to get roughly 1,000 calories per day, I find that the scale moves more if I eat closer to 1,200. Granted, I'm 274 pounds, so the size may be the reason I need to eat more.

GMABAT is soooo right... The scale is a harsh and lying mistress! Unless your stomach will grow back, and if it does you'll hit the news fer sure, you are in this for the rest of your life. our NUT was absolutely wrong. Losing 3 to 5 # every week is NOT sustainable over the long haul. You will lose as and what you will lose. Hang in there, and think about that lying scale...

I am thinking of marketing a moon scale. It is calibrated to how much you would weigh on the moon. 83.3% less. If you weight 200 on Earth you would weigh 33.2 pounds on the moon.

An alternative is the lawyers scale. You can program it to represent the truth anyway you want. You can input the desired degree of fraud.

Or maybe the sympathy scale. You input your desired rate of loss and when it runs short the scale plays a crying voice and various reasons that it is not your fault.

Ya' date=' I know, all stupid.

I didn't go through getting gutted to change numbers on a scale. I could have done that on my analog scale by turning a dial.

I was at war with my fat.

With the help of my sleeve I whipped his hiney.

What the scale said was an object of curiosity, not the prime indicator of how the sleeve was doing.

It is physically impossible to follow a NUT and doctor prescribed program with the sleeve and not lose your fat.

Time is your friend, not your enemy if you have the right attitude toward it. Your body has it's own schedule. Time and science are your back up.

Give yourself the gift of time.[/quote']

Love it!

If you are increasing your exercise you should probably increase your calories. I was around 700-800 calories and now I'm about 900-1100. I have days where I'm super hungry which results in more eating and then the scale will drop again. Last week I felt hungry every day and I only lost .8 lbs. Then the switch flipped again and I don't feel that hunger and I'm down 2.5 lbs this week. I just go with the flow and I'm trying hard to listen to my body and the signals it gives me. I probably get 80+ g of Protein in a day and take my daily Vitamins and Water.

It will keep happening ..... hang in there!