Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

heartburn after two years?

Hi all,

For those of you two years out or further, do you have more heartburn? I have recently noticed an uptick, and I'm not sure if its time related or because I've become a little more adventurous in my post-op eating. Today I had a small serving of spaghetti sauce, noodles (not whole grain), and a bite of garlic bread. I am paying the price! Not sure if it's the Pasta, which I rarely eat, the spaghetti sauce (ditto), or if I am just more prone to heartburn as time goes by. I don't think it's the bite of garlic bread, because I have had that without problems many times.

Lynda

Hi all' date='

For those of you two years out or further, do you have more heartburn? I have recently noticed an uptick, and I'm not sure if its time related or because I've become a little more adventurous in my post-op eating. Today I had a small serving of spaghetti sauce, noodles (not whole grain), and a bite of garlic bread. I am paying the price! Not sure if it's the Pasta, which I rarely eat, the spaghetti sauce (ditto), or if I am just more prone to heartburn as time goes by. I don't think it's the bite of garlic bread, because I have had that without problems many times.

Lynda[/quote']

I'm glad you brought yup the subject because I was going to ask it too!

Yes! I ha e noticed it in the last few weeks and wondered if it was change in diet 5:2 or what? Kinda co corned me because I don't want any esophageal issues later down the road. I have a prescription for generic Prilosec dr prescribed when I had to take pain killers for compressed spinal disc last year so I take as needed. He said he thought EVERYONE should take it daily anyway. So I think I am going to start taking myself routinely

Anybody else have advice/studies on this?

I get heartburn every now and then, always have done -- not noticed any increase lately. Though now you mention it, Georgia, I do have a bit more acid the day after a fast day. I chew Gaviscon from time to time, and I also take Protonix (PPI) as needed as well. I don't take it every day like I did first six months post-op (was required by my doctor), but even every now and then it seems to be effective.

I have taken a PPI since surgery because this is what the doctor required. Every week, usually Saturday, I skip taking it to see if I have any issues. Every time I don't take it for a day I can feel my heart burn acting up a bit. It's not anything major but I don't feel like I can completely stop taking the PPI. I have noticed lately if I have a day where I snack more than usual that the heart burn feels worse than it did before.

I'm not a big bread eater but it doesn't act up when I eat bread. It does act up more when I eat Pasta and any kind of spaghetti sauce. I don't eat a lot of either of those. I'm assuming it's the acid in the spaghetti sauce.

I'm glad you brought yup the subject because I was going to ask it too!

Yes! I ha e noticed it in the last few weeks and wondered if it was change in diet 5:2 or what? Kinda co corned me because I don't want any esophageal issues later down the road. I have a prescription for generic Prilosec dr prescribed when I had to take pain killers for compressed spinal disc last year so I take as needed. He said he thought EVERYONE should take it daily anyway. So I think I am going to start taking myself routinely

Anybody else have advice/studies on this?

The doctor always tells me to eat five small meals a day to avoid heartburn. Is it worse on your fasting days?

I take a PPI everyday and if I forget, I get really bad heartburn. I never had heartburn before surgery so I guess this is the new normal for me. :( I'm only 9 months out. Hope it gets better for all of us! Oh and it probably was the spaghetti sauce.

I have noticed that I get hungrier more often these days and I think it's because of my stomach acid. When I take my omeprazole I feel a whole lot better. So I put it with my assortment of Multivitamins I take everyday. When I do have spaghetti sauce, I do get a lot of heart burn happening. :P

I am only 18 months out and have not noticed this.

There is a study that shows a definate increase in this problem 3+ years post op. It was one of my worries...

My experience with constant reflux with the band did teach me a few things... smaller portions and avoiding acidy foods both help. Don't eat close to bedtime (or lay down after eating). For me, the small portions are the key though.

I've had spells where I've needed my PPI for a short period of time, likely due to stress and I definitely had to take it while pregnant.

I have noticed that on fast days, I have to take one. Other days, I'm fine. But the days when I don't eat much I have a noticeable increase in my acid and it's enough that my stomach will rumble and I'm uncomfortable.

~Cheri

I don't follow the 5:2 plan because I've been staying at goal without it. I'm gonna hope it was mostly the spaghetti sauce. I don't eat spaghetti sauce or Pasta often so maybe that was it.

Lynda

I don't follow the 5:2 plan because I've been staying at goal without it. I'm gonna hope it was mostly the spaghetti sauce. I don't eat spaghetti sauce or Pasta often so maybe that was it.

Lynda

Ugh. Had left over spaghetti sauce for dinner tonight and am back in the tums bottle. It's official, me and spaghetti sauce are no longer friends!! This amazes me because I can eat super spicy foods no problem.

Lynda

Lynda- I believe you on the spicy spaghetti sauce. Ostrich meat sticks does this to me now where they did not cause heartburn so much before. A few tums does relieve it, but so does Prilosec. Sometimes tums is a little more convenient to take. I think heart burn / acid reflux ( same thing?) from spicy food just comes with the territory of VSG.

Lynda- I believe you on the spicy spaghetti sauce. Ostrich meat sticks does this to me now where they did not cause heartburn so much before. A few tums does relieve it' date=' but so does Prilosec. Sometimes tums is a little more convenient to take. I think heart burn / acid reflux ( same thing?) from spicy food just comes with the territory of VSG.[/quote']

That's what I don't get. I make my own spaghetti sauce and its not spicy. And I eat tomatoes and hot sauce no problem. I don't know what it is in the sauce, but I won't be having it again anytime soon.

That's what I don't get. I make my own spaghetti sauce and its not spicy. And I eat tomatoes and hot sauce no problem. I don't know what it is in the sauce' date=' but I won't be having it again anytime soon.[/quote']

It's probably the combination of the ingredients and how long it has been since you ate before eating the spaghetti sauce. I am not sleeved yet but have chronic issues with acid reflux. I know if I wait too long and then eat something like that the acid is always worse. It is crazy though cause if I eat something hot or Mexican food it doesn't cause increased acid or heartburn. I would say try to eliminate whatever foods are causing it, take your PPI, and make sure you aren't waiting too long to eat.

Hi all,

Lynda

- Lynda: YES... sad but I am 2 years out and recently had my Prilosec increased to twice a day! My doc says its not uncommon.... unfortunately he didn't have an explanation really!

I am only 18 months out and have not noticed this.

There is a study that shows a definate increase in this problem 3+ years post op. It was one of my worries...

My experience with constant reflux with the band did teach me a few things... smaller portions and avoiding acidy foods both help. Don't eat close to bedtime (or lay down after eating). For me, the small portions are the key though.

I read this too.... I stopped taking my PPI after a year because of Calcium absorption... I have not had any significant acid problems... when I do I can see its what I ate... rich, chocolate based food. :( The 3 year statistics showed that heartburn went hand in hand with regain as well.... Im guessing people start eating more of the good old standbys... too much too often.