Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

heartburn after two years?

I read this too.... I stopped taking my PPI after a year because of Calcium absorption... I have not had any significant acid problems... when I do I can see its what I ate... rich, chocolate based food. :( The 3 year statistics showed that heartburn went hand in hand with regain as well.... Im guessing people start eating more of the good old standbys... too much too often.

If you are taking calcium citrate, it's absorption is not blocked by the PPI, according to my bariatric doctor.

Lynda

If you are taking calcium citrate, it's absorption is not blocked by the PPI, according to my bariatric doctor.

Lynda

That is good to know!

I did not have heart burn in the beginning. I was well over a year before I noticed it was getting worse. So I started a PPI and it really helped. I have tried to quit taking it a few times, but within a week or 2, I notice I have more upset stomach and more heartburn, so then back on it I go!

I never haiI never II never had a problem with heatburn pre-op, but was put on generic omeprazole after the sleeve. Last fall I had a scope down my throat due to another issue. The gastro doc was more concerned with the damage he saw as a result of my sleeve, and put me on a prescription PPI that was double the dose. I do have heartburn now, and can really tell if I neglect my pill every night. My doc said to take it before bedtime. I eat whatever I want, spicy, etc. and can't really tell that it's any worse when I do.

I never haiI never II never had a problem with heatburn pre-op' date=' but was put on generic omeprazole after the sleeve. Last fall I had a scope down my throat due to another issue. The gastro doc was more concerned with the damage he saw as a result of my sleeve, and put me on a prescription PPI that was double the dose. I do have heartburn now, and can really tell if I neglect my pill every night. My doc said to take it before bedtime. I eat whatever I want, spicy, etc. and can't really tell that it's any worse when I do. [/quote']

Okay, this alarms me because I have read about damage later on after VSG. Don't understand the first part of your post so wanted to ask. Did you have issues with acid reflux prior or after your sleeve and and what kind if "damage" did they see? I am not currently religiously taking any ppi but have a prescription my Dr (primary care) gave me and said "he thought everyone should take something".

Just wondering, AGAIN, if I am worrying myself without cause. I don't notice any symptoms at all except VERY infrequently

Okay' date=' this alarms me because I have read about damage later on after VSG. Don't understand the first part of your post so wanted to ask. Did you have issues with acid reflux prior or after your sleeve and and what kind if "damage" did they see? I am not currently religiously taking any ppi but have a prescription my Dr (primary care) gave me and said "he thought everyone should take something".

Just wondering, AGAIN, if I am worrying myself without cause. I don't notice any symptoms at all except VERY infrequently[/quote']

Should we be taking one even if we don't have symptoms? I've never taken my PPI and never had any acid reflux.

Should we be taking one even if we don't have symptoms? I've never taken my PPI and never had any acid reflux.

My primary care seems to think so. Quite frankly, my surgeon never even asks me such things. :(

My primary care seems to think so. Quite frankly' date=' my surgeon never even asks me such things. :([/quote']

Lol...I think we have the same surgeon. Mine just wants to see my weight. Hell I could phone that in and save myself the drive.

Lol...I think we have the same surgeon. Mine just wants to see my weight. Hell I could phone that in and save myself the drive.

Agreed. I've had three years worth of apps. That would be 5total. 3 first year. One thereafter. I wonder imagine a total of about 25 mins total! LOL good guy just hi,bye, keep up the good work. :)

My program only recommends a PPI if you have symptoms or if you are taking any drugs known to cause ulcers, such as ibuprofen.

BTW, Butter, live the new photo.

Lynda

I have been experimenting with cutting out my PPI recently. We shall see if heart burn rears its ugly head. As I have said in the past, spicy foods seem to get the acid churning. Even an Ostrim stick will do it even though it is not terribly spicy.

You know what scares me of all this heartburn. I had my one year follow up my doc and explained how I was still Havin heartburn I am on Prilosec twice a day. And how if i forget I get it bad to point of almost choking a few times. I do sleep on a wedge pillow. He said to work on keeping controlled with meds diet ex cuz studies showed that with time may cause esophageal cancer. That scared me. So beginning of next year I Will have a scope to see if any damage like some one mentioned. I am a bit scared. Cuz I don't follow rules as well as I should and I pay price with heartburn and reflux. :(

Sorry, I been away and didn't see the responses to my post. I never had any heartburn issues before my lapband, with it, or even right after my sleeve. I don't think I ever would have known there was an issue without the scope, so I do think this may be a "stealth" problem we sleevers may have and not know about. My brother-in-law died from esophageal cancer, so I've seen it firsthand and it was horrible. I plan on having this monitored the rest of my life if need be, even though it's not something my surgeon suggested. I think my gastro is a smart guy and trust him if he tells me he's worried about it.

I don't mean to cause anyone alarm, but do feel I should be responsible with reporting my personal situation just as a precautionary tale.

I haven't experienced any heartburn since being sleeved. I did have a hiatal hernia repair, so I would like to know whether those suffering had a hernia repair.

As far as the spag sauce and the fact that you make it yourself, what type of toms do you use? Some can be quite acidic and that could be the issue. Are you experiencing this with other types of foods? Have you noticed whether you are eating faster or not chewing as thoroughly as you used to?

I did have hiatal hernia repair during surgery. It was undiagnosed pre-op. I do eat faster and have since about eight months out, but the only food that really tears me up consistently with the heartburn is the spaghetti sauce (and margaritas). I eat fresh tomatoes and hot sauce without an issue. It's got to be some combination, or maybe cooking down the tomatoes. I cook my sauce for at least a couple of hours.

Lynda

.,...I don't think I ever would have known there was an issue without the scope, so I do think this may be a "stealth" problem we sleevers may have and not know about.....

So you didn't have heartburn? No symptoms and then the scope showed damage?

Lynda