Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I was a horse, they'd shoot me

First let me say.... Dr. Alvarez Rocks !!!! He and his staff were supportive, knowledgeable, and charming. The Nurses were gentle and kind. OK, with all the niceties behind me.... I am miserable. Turned out I had a very large hiatal hernia. I had no clue, had never been diagnosed, and was asymptomatic. It made my surgery longer and more intensive. My sleeve sisters were burping and farting (TMI), but not me... I was itching like crazy. No rash, just itching. They gave me a Benadryl with only dehydrated me more and made me more uncomfortable, and I was and still am itching. I was also coughing up white foam. Last night once I got home I fell asleep in my recliner. I woke up soaked in sweat. I peeled my clothes off and got in bed and began coughing up the taste of the vile liquid antibiotic. I'm doing my best to sip, sip, sip, but I'm so weak. Just walking across the room and I'm short of breath. Sorry for the whining, but this procedure was no "piece of cake". The gas has settled behind my left shoulder and I'm just miserable. I didn't have gastric reflux pre-op, but I guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" that has it now. Please.... somebody shoot me.

I am so sorry that you are miserable. I am 1 month post-op today and I still remember feeling just like you. "Please someone just shoot me!" was a very often lamented phrase for me also. I hated every moment of my first about 10 days. I had serious "buyers remorse". The worst!! BUT - it does get better with time and your body will start to adjust and behave itself again. My suggestion is to take lots of pain medication during this time. Not only will it help with the pain - but, it provides a much needed "happy" time.

I am with you Amy. This has definitely not been a cake walk. I was sleeved a week ago and having a heck of a time with pain, nausea and not being able to keep anything down. Here's to certainly hoping it gets better & soon!

Awww, hang in there. Give it time. I know it feels like everything is going wrong, but believe me, you'll look back on this and realize this was just one more of those "things" to get past. Best wishes to you!

It will definitely get better. It was bad for me for a good 10 days and I took pain meds more than I thought I would and took the anti nauseous for several days. For me day 11 was like a light switch went on and suddenly felt normal again. Hang in there a few more days.

First let me say.... Dr. Alvarez Rocks !!!! He and his staff were supportive, knowledgeable, and charming. The Nurses were gentle and kind. OK, with all the niceties behind me.... I am miserable. Turned out I had a very large hiatal hernia. I had no clue, had never been diagnosed, and was asymptomatic. It made my surgery longer and more intensive. My sleeve sisters were burping and farting (TMI), but not me... I was itching like crazy. No rash, just itching. They gave me a Benadryl with only dehydrated me more and made me more uncomfortable, and I was and still am itching. I was also coughing up white foam. Last night once I got home I fell asleep in my recliner. I woke up soaked in sweat. I peeled my clothes off and got in bed and began coughing up the taste of the vile liquid antibiotic. I'm doing my best to sip, sip, sip, but I'm so weak. Just walking across the room and I'm short of breath. Sorry for the whining, but this procedure was no "piece of cake". The gas has settled behind my left shoulder and I'm just miserable. I didn't have gastric reflux pre-op, but I guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" that has it now. Please.... somebody shoot me.

Where do you live? I'll be right over to help you out with that ;) Every day is a new adventure after surgery. It's a total relearning, at least it was for me, and some days even now at 7 weeks out, I find it annoying sometimes. But I look great, and my knees feel so much better (which was the point), I can suck it up. Get yourself a bigger drinking glass so you don't have to move and make sure to get your Water. when you get sick of water find something else you are allowed and like to drink. Your strength will come back. Move around too, that will speed up your healing and if you feel like crap, it's just one more thing you can be proud of yourself for on this journey. You can do this and those first few weeks will be a distant memory in no time. Chin up, and remember...you are not a sick horse. :)

It sucks now, but soon it'll all be in the rear view :)

I was sleeved July 31. At this point I feel very fortunate to have had minimal post surgery "issues". I took my pain meds for only a couple days and anti nausea meds for a couple of times. Boy, that nausea would just come out of no where. Happy that lasted only a brief time. I knew there was a very distinct possibility of having that pain in my shoulder. However, it never showed up for the party. I do have some serious pain in my left side. I found that using an ice pack has worked wonders. You should try that for your shoulder. Also, just getting up and moving a bit really does help. I tried to get up every time there was a commercial on tv. Initially I wasn't moving much. Today, I was able to take a 50 minute 2 mile walk. It will get better.

Sorry you are feeling bad. As everyone said, it WILL get better and you will be happy with your decision. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to heal. A virtual hug to you! :)

A heating pad will help w the gas trapped in your shoulder

My esact phrase to my husband was "Please hit me over the head with a 2 x 4". The dr spent 30 extra minutes digging my embedded lapband out of my stomach so he told me Id be extra sore. Boy, lapband surgery 4 yrs ago was a piece of cake.

Its now been 3 weeks and Im doing MUCH better. No pain at all, gas was gone after the 1st week, and no more reflux. Heartburn, yes, but no nightime reflux the slipped band caused. My only complaint is IM HUNGRY. On fu.l liquids 1 more week. That frist bite of refried Beans will be like lobster.

Hang in there. I promise it gets better. The frist week I regretted my decision. Ablut 50% of people find recovery easy peasy. The other 50% are a little harder. Stay the course and you'll get there.

Hugs...

I had my surgery on july 29 and also had the hernia repair but no sweats or foam. I think you should see a dr. Or call your surgeon. I used gasx tongue dissolving strips for the gas pain. Also, im not getting enough fluids cuz it hurts and its tedious so i made Vitamin Water popsicles and that is making a difference. Recovery is hard.

Amy how are you feeling? Are things getting better? been thinking about you today, hoping you're having an easier time.