Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year!

I will be done with all of my testing in October so, if all goes well, it looks like i will be having my surgery in November. I am so excited! but a little nervous...and a little anxious...and I am sitting in front of my computer eating pretzels as I type this - crazy, right?

I am trying to learn as much as I can about the procedure, about how my life will change and about me and how I use food for things other than nutrients, like eating pretzels in front of the computer!

Hi! I'm also having the surgery in November, right before Thanksgiving! I agree, it's going to suck this year. Christmas too. I think eating pretzel's in front of the computer is not that bad. You could be sitting there eating Lay's potato chips or Doritos or something like that!

Sitting in front of the computer eating pretzels isn't good. :) Mindless eating means you are not paying attention to the food, you are not feeling when you are full and you are eating just to be eating. You will learn that you don't want to mindlessly consume anything, much less carbs. I agree that chips would be worse, but veggie sticks or Protein would be better.

I know it's not easy, but start working on these things now. It makes a big difference!

Good luck to you!

My new rule is... No eating in front of the computer. Fluids are OK. Just something I need to do for me. No more "mindless" eating.

I agree...no eating in front of TV, PC, and on phone (oh it can be done). I've found by really paying attention, I eat soooo much less (as if I could eat a lot post-op).

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of the pre-op items to get approved as well. My last appt is my 3rd month nutritional appt on October 25th so I'm hoping for a November surgery date as well!

Time is already going by SO slow, but I also have a lot of behavior modifications to make and need to use this time wisely. Lets keep each other motivated:)

so glad for all the responses! I went to a local support group the other day and asked for advice and the best thing I heard was "start now"...meaning, start the change in eating now, start the exercise now, get Protein Shakes and taste them now (although they warned me that my tastes may change post surgery.)

Don't wait for the surgery to "change me", start the change now - which is what I am trying to do!

I dusted off my sneakers and went for a 40min, walk. I have been eating cottage cheese in the morning and more salads. Small things here and there are making a difference in my mental attitude. I had my stress test today and loved pushing myself on the treadmill. I am feeling so positive and excited!

Hi. New to this site. So happy that I found ya'll.

The Registered Dietician at the hospital (Lehigh Valley, PA) started me on an eating plan this week. Surgery date is November 14. Very strict. This is a three-month program. If I don't follow all of the instructions, my surgery date will be extended until I do. It's all about high-protein/fiber ( in the form of veggies). I do not like veggies. I found that I can get them in to me in the form of Soup. Plus, I have a calorie restricted diet.

pretzels in front of the tv, computer, etc., I can't even imagine doing at this stage of the game.

In addition, I'm in a smoking cessation program at the hospital. :unsure:

Working on two behaviors at once. Never thought that I cold do it. But, I'm doing it. Feeling very positive at this point.

I am a November Sleever too. Don't have my date yet. I am excited now, so can't imagine what I will be like when it gets closer.

I have my lat NUT visit and regular Dr visit on the 13th. Am hoping to get in with surgeon before Thanksgiving and family reunion.

Here's my plan for Thanksgiving...Stay home and not go to my parents' house where everyone will be (they live 3 doors down from me). I will still be on liquids at that point (11/14 surgery date) or maybe on pureed foods. I think it will be better for me to to stay home and read and reflect - like a mental health day.

Tomorrow is my surgery day. I've been trying to eat mostly liquids all week and have been all liquids today, per instructions. I've been so focused on getting ready for this that now I'm sort of numb about tomorrow. I am excited but don't know what to expect. My partner is very supportive and is totally behind the food changes we will both make. He isn't going through the surgery but always is mindful of losing weight too and eats very healthy foods. I feel like we have so retrained ourselves over the past year or so, but actually experiencing the tiny amounts of food I can eat will be something completely new and a bit scary.

I'm still flying under the radar with regard to telling friends/family/coworkers. Just don't want to discuss this personal journey at all. My partner and clinic are very supportive, so hope that my privacy won't become an issue later.

I'll check back in after the fact. Hope to hear from the rest of you November sleevers too.

I had my surgery yesterday. I'm home today and doing pretty well although I'm having a hard time getting enough Water and Protein in. The rate I'm sipping is not enough to get all the requirements in. Hope that eases up a bit in the coming days.

Gas pain is the biggest issue...and being dehydrated. I'm sure this will pass.

I had my surgery on the 19th... Still on full liquids til the 5th. I too plan on just staying home this year as to avoid the smells and temptations. My wonderful mother is going to come stay w/me so I'm not all alone :) I'm really ok w/not partaking in the feast this year. Figured I've enjoyed (over ate) for 37 years and its not gonna hurt me one bit to set this one out! Looking forward to becoming healthier and having a new (better) relationship w/food. Learning to eat to live not live to eat. Still I will say that it will be sad not being around everyone tomorrow, but know that since most of the day will center around food and eating, I just don't need to expose myself to that just yet this early on.