Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have messed up and I'm so annoyed with myself

I am 4 weeks post op and today for the first time since surgery, my eating was a little out of control. Yesterday my doctor told me that I could no longer eating virtually anything containing sugar. This didn't come as a huge surprise to me and, I have been eating very little sugar since surgery. Mistake No. 1 My pre sleeve self took this as "let's just have one more sugar fix. Tomorrow that's it I'm not going to eat anything like that again." Mistake No. 2 I lied to myself about all the good reasons I should buy mango sorbet. I told myself " you have been feeling so nauseas the last couple of days that this may feel nice going down and given how little you are eating you need some calories." Mistake No. 3 I grazed over my mango sorbet (which went down effortlessly) and ended up eating 3/4 of the container. I feel so stupid. I never want to go back to my old ways. I'm just shocked by our easy it is to slip into old habits. I feel really ashamed with myself. :(

I have not been sleeved yet but I used to have the band.....don't be so hard on yourself.....just do better tomorrow....it's very hard to break old habits and its about learning a new lifestyle....you will have days that you are not perfect, we all will.....just pick up your head and keep moving forward.....

I'm with Denise. We all mess up. Just pick yourself up and try again. This is a lifelong change that we are making. Our lives will be full of ups and downs. Just keep plugging away and your lifestyle changes will become the norm. Good luck and keep your chin up!

Jumping in here to also say that while you messed up, if you log your food, log this too. That way when you feel the urge to splurge again, you can look at this and remember how you felt.

No one on this forum is perfect, we all make mistakes. Learn from this and don't beat yourself up, or you may find yourself running to food for emotional relief. Get back on track for the rest of today and tomorrow.

We all make mistakes - it's what we learn from them that counts. Don't beat yourself up - just move on :)

I am just beginning the process and have not yet had surgery, but I agree with everyone else. Mistakes happen. We sometimes lead with things other than our heads...( Which can be a lot of trouble in so many areas! LOL) Just chalk this up to experience, a lesson learned. In the mean time, get rid of temptations if you have them left. Fill your cupboards and fridge only with things that, if you consume in excess, you won't have the extreme guilt and anxiety from. Maybe just a little upset tummy...And remember you cared enough about yourself to have something so extreme done so that you can live a long and healthy life!

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. It's easy to think pre-op that everything is going to change once you are sleeved. Only to realize that you still have the same brain :)

I will definitely move on and do better tomorrow. I have lost 30 pounds and have received lots of positive comments over the last couple of days. So I'm also certain that there was a little self sabotage involved. I guess this is a reminder that I need to also work on my thinking. It's really great to hear from people that can relate!

We all mess up, I posted awhile ago how I was downing goldfish crackers like no tomorrow. This is a great tool, but it doesn't take our human nature away. You'll have great days, better days, good days and bad days. I guarantee though, you won't have as bad of days as you would prior. Just think you may have eaten the entire container and washed it down with a few slices of pizza! So, it's a victory in a sense! The beating yourself up, is just as bad of a cycle behavior as the treat....if you think about it......Hang in there!

I am 4 weeks post op and today for the first time since surgery, my eating was a little out of control. Yesterday my doctor told me that I could no longer eating virtually anything containing sugar. This didn't come as a huge surprise to me and, I have been eating very little sugar since surgery. Mistake No. 1 My pre sleeve self took this as "let's just have one more sugar fix. Tomorrow that's it I'm not going to eat anything like that again." Mistake No. 2 I lied to myself about all the good reasons I should buy mango sorbet. I told myself " you have been feeling so nauseas the last couple of days that this may feel nice going down and given how little you are eating you need some calories." Mistake No. 3 I grazed over my mango sorbet (which went down effortlessly) and ended up eating 3/4 of the container. I feel so stupid. I never want to go back to my old ways. I'm just shocked by our easy it is to slip into old habits. I feel really ashamed with myself. :(

It happens, wet noodle spankigs for you!! Brush yourself off and do the best you can. You deserve your best effort. I know I could very easily give into temptation with things that just slide down, so I won't bring them in the house. Keep treats you can have handy. Get some sugar free Italian ice and keep it in the freezer. I'm mroe surprised that they didn't suggest getting off sugar before surgery. My nut wanted me only on sugar free puddings etc. I got used to it pretty quickly. We cultivated those bad habits over YEARS, give yourself some time to find a new normal. On the bright side, you can always start fresh.

Good luck! We got your back!

I tried a GIANT chocolate milkshake 1 week post op and found out the hard way that I in fact do suffer from "dumping" and spent hours with cold sweats, stomach cramps, diarhea, and light headedness. BUT now I know. I was so upset and ashamed of myself for doing that but I learned the hard way that I cannot tolerate the fat/sugar content of ice cream malts anymore. I was sad and mad all at the same time. Now I am happy I did it and learned from it. You will be fine and the next time you look at the carton you will remember those feelings of guilt and messing up and hopefully avoid another binge.

Mashed potatoes did it to me. Cold sweat and sick as a dog.

My sis had switched to whole milk from a dairy across from their house, and I didn't even look at the label, just had 3 Protein Shake. Wondered why they tasted so good, even congratulated myself on changing my palate, they tasted sooo yummy. Next day had another one and it hit half way to town. Luckily I made it to a bathroom.

I tried a GIANT chocolate milkshake 1 week post op and found out the hard way that I in fact do suffer from "dumping" and spent hours with cold sweats, stomach cramps, diarhea, and light headedness. BUT now I know. I was so upset and ashamed of myself for doing that but I learned the hard way that I cannot tolerate the fat/sugar content of ice cream malts anymore. I was sad and mad all at the same time. Now I am happy I did it and learned from it. You will be fine and the next time you look at the carton you will remember those feelings of guilt and messing up and hopefully avoid another binge.

I dump too. I haven't tried anything with sugar in it. But I dump with anything uncooked with milk, yogurt, and certain cheeses. Good to know I'm not alone in that. It feels like a slow death!

My sis had switched to whole milk from a dairy across from their house, and I didn't even look at the label, just had 3 Protein shake. Wondered why they tasted so good, even congratulated myself on changing my palate, they tasted sooo yummy. Next day had another one and it hit half way to town. Luckily I made it to a bathroom.

This is what is most frustrating to me. I can have something once and it go down fine. Then the next time, it sends me running to the bathroom. That's the scary part for me. The not knowing.