Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here researching this procedure so that I can have this procedure done.

Hi I am considering this procedure and I have just began the process of making arrangements to go to my first seminar. I am 43 years old and happily married and I am a diabetic. The reason I want this procedure done is because I want to loose weight and began to live a healthy life for myself and family. Everyone in my family has diabetics and I want to live a healthy life as possible and see my children grow and mature and see their children do the same. I have decided to go this route because everything I have read so far seems positive., and I am hoping that by joining this forum, I will have the opportunity to meet new friends, get support, and understanding from people who have had this procedure done. So far the only person that know I am considering this is my husband and children. My family members would not understand this, and I am tired of them saying all you have to do is stop eating.

Welcome. I understand only telling immediate family members, I did the same.

Welcome. You'll find a lot of information and nice people here...

This is a great forum to meet new friends and get lots of information on the Gastric Sleeve. Welcome!

Cupcake, I just had my surgery on thurs. Got home yesterday. It went well, every day gets better and better. I encourage you to get online and seek out a bariatric program and talk to them about how the surgery might help you. They have a lot more knowledge about this than most primary care physicians and will be able to guide you on whether this procedure will help you address the diabetes issues you are dealing with. I do not have diabetes, but my own research led me to believe that overall the vertical sleeve is the best Bariatric Choice. Also, even if you talk to a program of excellence that isn't close to home, these dr's are good about giving you referrals to programs close to you. Best wishes, and we are glad you are here.

Sirbrewz. Thank you for your encourage and suggestions, I will follow through with this, and I'm glad that I am meeting people who understand what I am going through. Congratulation on your procedure .

Hi Cupcake and welcome! I've been hanging around here for a few months and you can read my stats in my signature. If you have a bariatric center of excellence in your area I recommend you use that facility should you decide to go forward with the surgery. I understand not telling everyone pre-surgery what you are contemplating. This is a big, life-changing choice and it is very personal. Do as much research as you can as it will help you decide what is best for you. I was originally going to get the lap-band in 2011 but I chickened out and now I am so glad I didn't do that and opted for the sleeve. I am not diabetic, but have a lot of arthritis and was tired of being in pain constantly. The weight loss has definitely helped. I feel much better, move with much more ease and am more active. I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6

Chelenka thank you for your suggestions, encouragement, and understanding, yes I have a bariatric center here in Michigan, I am looking forward to this new change in my life and I know my family would not understand my choices. My husband is very supportive and so are my children but my family they simply would not understand, and are very judgemental. They simply just don't understand anything ad think that I look great and use the excuse that I just have big bones. Although that may be true I know my body, I dont like the wayI look in pictures, I have body aches and not to mention I am a diabetic that takes insulin shoots. The other day I moved across the bed and my stomach actually made a flopping sound that I had never has happened before, and I know with beyond a shadow of a doubt this is what I want and I need to make a change now. Im sorry if I am venting a lot but your words of encouragement and this forum has help me more in the last two days then anyone in the last 12 years. Congratulation on your procedure and thanks again.

You sound like you've thought this thru and are psychologically ready, which is very important IMO. You are going to do just fine. Your husband's support is the most crucial and maybe if you want to you could confide in a trusted friend. Don't worry about your family's opinion. I didn't tell my parents and brother until I was about a week away from the surgery. Mostly didn't want them worrying but also I anticipated some negativity and "are you sure" feedback but they surprised me by being supportive of my decision.

Is there a "fat" culture in your family? If so, your decision will make them very uncomfortable and thus negative. But you have to do what you feel is best for yourself. I've found that some of my overweight friends have had difficulty dealing with my on-going transformation but they are accepting the changes as they see how well I am doing and your family will too.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6

Junior Guru thank you for your comments and suggestions, yes I think I am ready for this journal, I have had friends who have had gastric procedure and did not do what their doctor said and has gain more weight then before procedure, they think I am crazy, but I feel you must make the best choices for yourself and I know this is the right one for me. Im looking forward to my first seminar , I believe I will tell my family members after I have had my procedure and I am doing well.