Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling "hunger" - is it really gone?

With the sleeve I know the part of the stomach that generates the hunger hormone ghrelin is removed, and so the feeling of hunger may go away, but how many people really feel no hunger long term?

I'm three months out and I can't decide if I'm feeling hungry again, or if I've just trained my brain that I eat three meals and two Snacks so I think I'm hungry when I skip them? I don't want to fall back into the trap of eating for the sake of eating, but I don't want to ignore body signals, either. If I'm at my Protein goal and don't "need" to eat, I can skip that 5th time, but if I'm feeling hungry and am genuinely hungry I shouldn't do that. I thought I'd check in with all of you and see if I'm over-analyzing things or if I really am just hungry!

Thanks everyone!

Kathy

I think it's a lot to do with the ol' noggin. I'm 7+ months out and starting to think I'm hungry, but I'm probably really not. I know. Need to reset ,y mind... And SOON!

I have read that not all of the ghrelin is gone. It was cut down a lot, though.

I judge real hunger by accompanying body and mind indicators. If I am weaker, getting dizzy, getting cranky, it might be real. If I am just thinking about food or just had an emotional trauma that in the past would have sent me to the burritos it is probably head hunger.

Water shortage masquerades as hunger sometimes.

Ah..the art of reading yourself.

I get almost lightheaded when I'm TRULY hungry. The difference between true hunger and mental hunger for me has always been the fact that I feel like if I don't get something to eat right now I'm going to throw up or faint or something. My stomach growls for long growls at intervals. When it's mental hunger I don't feel this way at all, I have to question myself whether I am really hungry or not.

The way I see it, when it's real hunger, YOU'LL KNOW! You won't need to ask the question...you'll just go and get something to eat. Period. When it's not, you'll be arguing back and fourth. Cause your body knows your not hungry, so it isn't sending you the proper signals...which your brain certainly picks up on, I mean the lack of signals that is......but the mental hunger part of your brain will tell you otherwise.

Go with the signs. :)

good question, I'd like to know with certainty, too. I've heard that when you are hungry, or think you are hungry, ask yourself, "Am I hungry enough to eat (insert healthy food like carrot, boiled egg, etc.)?" If yes, then get food, if no get Water and do something else. I still feel what I think is real hunger (it's uncomfortable!), but then I think i shouldn't be hungry and worry that I'm faking it. Much less than the hunger I felt pre-op, though, and oh how nice to feel full so fast!

I still get hungry, but less than before the sleeve. I thought hunger would totally go away, but it didn't. I am in the 10% that keep the hunger. Everyone is different I suppose.

I'm 3 weeks out and feel hungry, but I think it's in my mind because if I occupy myself with something ill completely forget about it and the feeling goes away.

I'm 11 months out and my stomach growls when I need to eat. My head hunger is so much better I'd say 90% better.

I am only one month out and I feel a little hunger. Because I have been training myself for 3 meals and two Snacks a day at the same time, if i am running late my stomach starts letting me know FEED ME - a whole 2 bites or a few sips lol

I am 7 weeks out and had hunger the entire time. I of course don't get hungry as often or with the same intensity...but yes, hunger is there. I had people telling me I was only "head hungry" then when I got light headed (more than once) my Dr and Nut both said...um, yes some people still get hungry.

I even tried drinking Water only to be upset I have to wait 30 min to eat because yes, it was hunger all along.

The stomach is not the only place that creates this hormone. I am two years out and I feel hunger. I have since about three months post op. it still doesn't take much to fill me up. About 1/2 cup of food and I am all done for hours. :)

I was three years out on June 11th - I still don't get hungry, and I pray that I never will. We'll see!!! What I call my 'new hunger' is an empty feeling. I can ignore it if I need or want to though. It started at about 12 - 18 months out.

Yep, I am 11weeks po and have been hungry for most of this time. Real hunger and as often as i used to get hungry before surgery. The difference is that i can i can a little bit and move on. I had all consuming hunger before surgery and truly expected i would be hungry after.

I am a little over a month out and it's gone for me. I have "head hunger" but Water usually makes it go away. The physical hunger I have I get from the deep part of my belly and can feel it "rumble". Tonight I was so hungry for dinner, and my eyes are still bigger then my stomach. I ordered the shrimp florentine. I could only get through the 6 prawn shrimps and a bite of spinach.