Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whos in September? We need some September buddies!

I have noticed that many of us are saying we are excited but nervous, but I haven't seen anyone talk much about what they are excited about, or especially what they are nervous about. I share the excitement and the anxiety about my surgery on September 4th.

I will start with what scares me. I am sometimes pretty horrified that I am actually about to have the majority of one of my organs cut out of my body and thrown away ... an organ that has no illness or damage, that in fact, functions all too well. I have never had surgery and have all my original organs and other parts that I was born with. I don't like the idea of having my insides shoved around and cut into. I don't like the idea of being knocked unconscious by what amounts to poison while putting myself into the care of strangers. I wonder if I might regret this, and I know the decision is irrevocable. I wonder if the change in what I can and cannot eat will be overwhelming, since so much of life centers around gatherings that involve food. My family gathers for birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, visits from the Manhattan contingent, barbecues and swimming parties, Labor Day, Memorial Day, celebrations, graduations, births and any other occasion or non- occasion we can think of. Many of these have traditionally happened at my house, though we are trying to spread the responsibility around more lately. Am I going to feel like serving the typical holiday meals? Will I look forward to special meals on special occasions? Will I still enjoy food, or at least enjoy it again someday, months or years after surgery? Will I ever again be able to have a margarita in a restaurant where they don't have sugar free? A Beef Fajita in a flour tortilla?? Gourmet veggie pizza? Nachos? My annual piece of pecan pie on Thanksgiving?

On the PLUS side though: I am excited that I hope to have less arthritis pain and more energy and stamina, so I can walk longer trails in beautiful areas, managing to see more of nature that refreshes my soul. I hope to have more energy for activity with my six grandkids, ages nine to one. I want to be able to pack and plan and travel without exhaustion and to walk long distances to explore new places and museums and cities. I want to be able to get around in Manhattan with fewer cabs when I am visiting one of my three sons and his family. I want to throw out ALL the clothes in my overstuffed closet, and just start over and have fewer things and know what is there and be able to FIND them. I want to have the energy to do all that and more.

I would love to hear others hopes and fears about this surgery too.

Diana49

I can't say I'm too terribly nervous at this point in the game. I started the ins approval process almost exactly a year ago so I feel really prepared. A couple of things that do make me nervous are (1) I'm afraid of any post-surgery complications, namely blood clots since I have a family history there. (2) I am generally healthy other than being way overweight and my brain seems to call into question the fact that I am having a surgery that could cause me complications when I am otherwise healthy.

HOWEVER, I the remember all the reasons I wanted the surgery in the first place, the first of which is to live a LONG life with my 4 kiddos & hubby and the second of which is to be able to LIVE my life and not watch from the sidelines anymore. I also realize that while I don't have any huge medical issues right now, I am pre-diabetic, and doing "nothing" will lead me to more health issues quickly.

I'm anxious that I'll go through all this and not lose weight or experience issues as a result of the surgery. I'm anxious about having surgery - never fun, but I don't think it's going to be that big a deal really.

All that aside, my excitement outweighs everything else. Everyone I've talked to who've had the surgery all say they wished they'd done it sooner. I'm ready to take my life back. I am fortunate because I am active and can do most things I want but I am looking forward to having stamina - getting down on the floor and not groaning when I get back up. Getting off my high blood pressure medicine, not worrying if I'll fit in rides at the amusement park. Most of all...I'm excited to fit in cute clothes. (I don't care what you say - large sizes are made to make you look...large & dowdy)

I'm nervous about the actual surgery. The closer I get the more I realized no amount of internet searching or worrying is going to change the actual outcome of the surgery.

I worry about leaving my 16 month old without a mother and my husband without someone to love and take care of him.

I'm more excited at this point. I want to take dance classes again, go on hikes, bike. Workout comfortably. I want to finish school with my major in fashion design. I let my weight stop me from finishing too many things and I'm ready to not have my weight dictate what I feel I'm worthy of. I'm 25 and I want to enjoy the rest of my years and participate in things every fit, young person should! No not weekend pub crawls...I would love to do a mud or color run one day soon!

I am officially on sept 10. I have gone through all the steps and the preop at the hospital and I'm all clear. All that's left is the preop diet and the count down.

My date is Sep 26th...just got the date and I'm so relieved that all the insurance prep work is done. September will be here soon. Can't wait! I live in Colorado.

I'm the 26th also!!

I really would wait on your Dr or Nut for this information you may need more of something or less of something than other people its always best to get the info straight from Dr but there really is some good advise on here.

Thanks, I think I will do it!

Hey everyone.... my surgery date is Sept 10th. I am starting to get a little nervous but it's been a pretty great journey so far.

My date got moved to the 23rd. I keep having pleasant dreams about being in the hospital. I don't know if it's an omen or wishful thinking. But then when I'm awake, I worry about things. For instance, when I woke up from my gall bladder surgery I couldn't breathe and I'm afraid the same thing will happen with this surgery. I'm scared of the surgery and the lifestyle changes like, "never trust a fart" which I've read here several times. I'm going through all the steps to get there, but I keep telling myself I can change my mind up to the day of the surgery.

HAHAHAHAHA "never trust a fart" really has me cracking up over here!

My date got moved to the 23rd. I keep having pleasant dreams about being in the hospital. I don't know if it's an omen or wishful thinking. But then when I'm awake' date=' I worry about things. For instance, when I woke up from my gall bladder surgery I couldn't breathe and I'm afraid the same thing will happen with this surgery. I'm scared of the surgery and the lifestyle changes like, "never trust a fart" which I've read here several times. I'm going through all the steps to get there, but I keep telling myself I can change my mind up to the day of the surgery.[/quote']

WHAT?! OMG! What does "never trust a fart" mean??

WHAT?! OMG! What does "never trust a fart" mean??

I take it to mean you might soil your pants when you fart. I've read it many times on this forum from people who have had the surgery.

Did my Pre-Op testing today....7 vials of blood, 2 chest xrays, an EKG, good bit of paperwork & my copay paid later I'm ready! I start my liver shrink diet in 2 wks then Sept 10th it's show time!!!

Sept 16th! and I can't wait. So excited to see so many people that are in Sept. Looks like many are going to Canada or Mexico. I'm in upstate NY so I don't expect to see any of ya'll here ;) . Good luck to everyone and I look forward t following everyone's progress.