Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cooking/Shopping for one?

I live alone, and have been trying to learn how to cook for one, but it's tough (being full blooded Italian). I'm used to cooking for a bunch and now it's just me. And I LOOOOOVE to cook (and eat).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for cooking/shopping for one post op? I know people will say cook it then freeze it, but I hate cooked food after it's been frozen. I might as well just throw it away before it hits the freezer because I won't eat it anyway. Leftovers are fine, just not frozen ones.

I also live alone and have adapted to cooking/shopping for one.

One thing that has helped me tremendously is setting out my menu plan for the week before I even go grocery shopping. That way I am not just buying crap that I will never eat.

My mom also bought me a foodsaver which is so awesome..because yes I can buy chicken breasts three to a pack but I don't want to eat chicken three times that week.

I don't cook or freeze anything..other than chilli, but I have found that knowing my menu and having a foodsaver has helped a ton. Then again I have that planner personality lol.

I find a lot of recipies you can adapt for just yourself, just have to do the math!

I am in the same boat. I make smaller amounts but I have learned to just throw away what I don't or can't eat. That's tough for someone who was brought up to clear her plate - and part of my weight problem was not wanting to waste food. If it was there, I ate it. But now if there's something leftover, I don't hesitate, in the waste it goes before I have a second thought. And it is sooo liberating!!! Part of my newly established eating to live, not living to eat philosophy.... Good luck!

Personally, I don't mind frozen. But either way, the Foodsaver has helped a TON - you may be better able to tolerate frozen foods if they are vacuum-sealed (no freezer burn, etc.). I make up a double batch of EVERYTHING. Then I pre-freeze in a muffin pan in individual portions for a couple of hours, and then I pop them out and vacuum seal them in my foodsaver. I keep them in the freezer and then pull them out as I need them and nuke them. It is super convenient, and I have NO problems with the taste - I find they taste freshly-made when frozen in vacuum sealed packages. I am a teacher and a busy mother of two girls. By the time we get home from school and swim practice, it is often 7pm and I have not been home all day to cook anything. I then make something for the girls, and pull out a frozen, pre-prepped meal for myself. I am now experimenting with freezing dinners for them as well. SO much easier than trying to cook a full dinner when it's late and we're tired!! My foodsaver is my latest FAVORITE appliance!!

Oh man, I wish I lived near you to take those left overs off your hands! I'm sure a good neighbor would take some of your left over food. In fact, if you can't figure out how to cut down the amount of food you make, (did you try just "halfing" your ingredients at least to cut down on half) see what's going on in your community. Like we had a neighbor who lost his wife 5 years ago....all us neighbors picked a day to bring him food for the first week after. Well, they all stopped after the week but it's been 5 years now & I'm still feeding him. He looks forward to my meals. I did invite him over a couple times but with us having kids, it just got too busy/hectic & our dinner times would fluctuate & he's elderly so he likes to eat at a set time each night...so now I just have one of us run the food over to his home & he can have it whenever. I started also sending over our leftovers. But leftover ITALIAN food is the BEST! Even if it's frozen!

Budget wise, it's probably best you find some recipes that are for just one or two people, altho if you can't, I just offered you my suggestion above! ;)

Also, just thought of this....this is a blog by someone who had WLS who posts recipes. I think it's Eggface? I've seen that here posted a lot. Try her blog...she's got recipes for just 1 or 2 meals. Good luck to you! **BOSTON STRONG**

I also live alone and have adapted to cooking/shopping for one.

One thing that has helped me tremendously is setting out my menu plan for the week before I even go grocery shopping. That way I am not just buying crap that I will never eat.

My mom also bought me a foodsaver which is so awesome..because yes I can buy chicken breasts three to a pack but I don't want to eat chicken three times that week.

I don't cook or freeze anything..other than chilli' date=' but I have found that knowing my menu and having a foodsaver has helped a ton. Then again I have that planner personality lol.

I find a lot of recipies you can adapt for just yourself, just have to do the math![/quote']

I do the same thing with my foodsaver. I love it. I buy peel and eat shrimp, chicken, turkey, hamburger, scallops, fish, chicken sausages, etc and put them in 3-4 oz bags and food saver them. I write the nutritional information on the bags and I'm set. If I'm going to be cooking for more than myself, I just take out multiple packages. It really has helped me with Portion Control.< /p>

I actually have a foodsaver. Even using that I find the food to have a funny taste after its frozen. Even chili. I have no problem freezing uncooked food though so individual chicken breasts is a great idea. Guess ill start there

I actually have a foodsaver. Even using that I find the food to have a funny taste after its frozen. Even chili. I have no problem freezing uncooked food though so individual chicken breasts is a great idea. Guess ill start there

Please don't take this as an insult but do you have a box of baking soda in your freezer? My freezer can leave an after taste too unless I clean it out & put in a box of Arm & Hammer. Foods just smell up the freezer sometimes, even if it's clean as a whistle.

haha no I wasn't insulted, and yes my freezer is spotless and has baking soda. The frozen food tasting funny isn't a new thing for me, I've been able to taste a difference pretty much my whole life.

Hi Goochman:

Take a look at some of your fav recipes and see if you can cut it way down, using only the meat and sauce. For example, chicken fajitas. Instead of making a big batch, just make one breast or couple of thighs, using the same seasoning. Then add a couple of bites of complimentary veggies if you have room. Sauteed summer squash with onions and cherry tomatoes? Or maybe just a little Tomato sauce and a few meatballs?

When I was early out, for dinner I generally grilled or sauted some kind of Protein with sauce, and threw a few veggies in the pan at the end.

Individual chicken breasts (you already got this), but the same for chicken thighs (more moist), pork chops, fish fillets, frozen shrimp, and ground beef.

Frozen vegetables: a few of my favs are roasted peppers, peas and carrots, whole green Beans, pearl onions, butternut squash cubes (can shake out just as much as you need).

Fresh vegetables you can buy in small quantities. My summer favs are summer squash, lettuce, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers. I just use a tiny bit. I use a mandolin slicer on the summer squash and cut the cherry tomatoes in half or quarters. I buy the fresh spinach and lettuce from the bin so I can buy just a handful.

Shelf stable sauces and Condiments, such as soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar,Sriracha, or sweet chili sauce. For sauces that aren't shelf stable, but the smallest amount possible because it takes a while to use them.

If you are eating starches, I like the Minute Maid brown rice and quinoa cups. Each container in the package has 1 cup. I use 1/3 cup at a time to add a grain to meals. oatmeal is great for the mornings. I eat 1/4 cup dry cooked with a little more than 1/2 cup Water. I also like whole grain crackers because they stay fresh better. Now that I am further out, I also enjoy whole grain bread. But it was a long time till I could eat it or the oatmeal.

For lunch, tuna, lunch meat, low fat cheeses, and Protein dense Soups are all good.

Lynda

Oh, and my husband doesn't like frozen food either. It's OK with me.

Lynda