Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

woman dies on rollar coaster

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/21/us/texas-roller-coaster-death/index.html?hpt=us_c2

I feel so bad for the family. I feel badly for all the ignorant cruel comments about the woman and her weight problems. I also feel bad for the young man who dismissed her comment that she didn't think her harness was correctly applied. I wonder did he not want to tell her yea you need to get off because she was not going to be properly secured due to you weight, did he believe it was correctly applied. I have done the walk of shame at rides and as akward as that is, far better to do it than to loose your life. When I did, I knew as soon as I sat down, there might be a problem and as long as the attendant was polite I was not going to be angry at him. I would be embarassed but trust me I know I am fat and I know there are somethings I cannot do or do not fit.

Suzy

Wait... Was she obese? This is horrible and so sad.... Wow... I am speechless.

I don't mean to be cruel but she knew better. I had a friend who was at the park the same day. I feel bad for her, but she put up an argument that she could fit on the ride when she knew better. I don't stick a gun to my head and pull the trigger because I know better; that if I do I might die. I made a choice to become fat in life and I knew the risks; I might die, but I did it anyway. I had the sleeve to help change my life.

There is a picture of her in the article. You have to click through them to find it. I am kinda surprised the media didn't mention it, but it is obvious she was obese.

Wow, that's horrible.

There is a picture of her in the article. You have to click through them to find it. I am kinda surprised the media didn't mention it' date=' but it is obvious she was obese.[/quote']

Ok looking now....

She looks too big for the RC seats I've seen. Most rides have a test seat outside of the ride so you don't have to wait in line only to get embarrased. I excluded myself from rides for years, not now of course.

Very sad.

That is even worse that she argued her ability to fit safely. I believe strongly in personal responsibility. I ate my way to my weight. I do have trust my drs to say I need meds for bp or whatever as I need to trust ride operators that I won't fit properly

Oh my gosh i didnt hear the part about her arguing. Regardless...it was the Park's responsibility to turn her away. Wen i saw her pic on tv the first thing i thought was "she didn't fit for that bar to come all the way down". I've been on RC at that park and i was much smaller than her (years ago) - and the bar BARELY clicked down and it was totally digging into me the whole ride...like to the point it hurt. I never rode again. Bless that family...

I don't mean to be cruel but she knew better. I had a friend who was at the park the same day. I feel bad for her, but she put up an argument that she could fit on the ride when she knew better. I don't stick a gun to my head and pull the trigger because I know better; that if I do I might die. I made a choice to become fat in life and I knew the risks; I might die, but I did it anyway. I had the sleeve to help change my life.

Actually she told them that the restraint was not clicked into place properly and they pretty much dismissed her

Brown told the Dallas Morning News that the woman had expressed concern to a park employee that she was not properly secured in her seat.

“He was basically nonchalant,” Brown said. “He was, like, ‘As long as you heard it click, you’re fine.’ Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe. But they let her still get on the ride.”

I'm not making excuses for her, but the park should have made her get off of the ride at that point.

This is so sad and terrifying, especially given that she told the ride operator that her belt didn't fit.

I had a similar experience on a rollercoaster when I was 15, the belt wouldn't fit over my stomach and the ride operators just tried to shove the bar tighter while I literally begged them to let me off. Thankfully they finally did but they weren't happy about it. I can't even imagine what her family must be going through right now and am disgusted, but not surprised, that most people commenting on this are making fun of the woman's size. Screw that, if this article is correct, she told them the belt didn't fit and they wouldn't let her off. Her death was entirely preventable.

I'm going to this theme park Thursday, the Texas Giant will still be closed, but I'm a little nervous myself to go. Kids want to go, wife left it up to me, so we're off. My build is completely different than it used to be, my gut is almost gone, and I'm down to 270, so we'll see how it goes.

It is sad what happened, but there comes a point where you have to take responsibility for yourself. It only clicked once, the attendant said it was ok...the attendant, likely a 16 year old kid. If anything just clicks once on me, I'm either getting off, or ripping the car out forcing my way off the ride.

I haven't read anything that said they wouldn't let her off, only that she mentioned it only clicked once, and that the response was if it clicked even just once you're good to go. Rollercoasters don't take in to consideration the fact that if you're 400 pounds, which she looks close to, at least 350, with negative G's, it's putting at least 700-800 pounds on the restraint.

This is scary! Excerpt from an article on GMA.yahoo

Safety experts say seats are built for adults who weigh 180 pounds. It's unclear how much Esparza weighed, but Texas Giant does not have a weight restriction.

Actually she told them that the restraint was not clicked into place properly and they pretty much dismissed her

I'm not making excuses for her' date=' but the park should have made her get off of the ride at that point.[/quote']

this is how a friend of mine ended up losing (eventually) 150 pounds. she got told she couldnt ride something at a park, and it was her ah-ha moment.