Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 53 with high BMI (52) and have never had surgery. I have diabetes, high BP, sleep apnea and high cholesterol although everything well controlled.

I'm so freaked out about getting a leak that I don't think I can go through with this. After reading the stories about this I'm not sure I handle that risk. I am self employed and being out if work for 3 months would ruin my business. I have a kid in college and family relies on me for income.

I've read that my high BMI puts me at a higher risk for leaks. I'd like to lose before surgery but am having difficulty.

So confused ... I know I need this .

I really believe the benefits more then outweigh the risks. If you follow your Dr's pre and post-op instructions to the letter, without interpretation or rationalization you should do fine. Poop happens.... but leaks are rare. I'm not a religious person... but God knows your needs and challenges. Don't live your life in fear. Good luck with your decision. Start losing weight now.... while you're deciding. Even a 5% weight loss makes a huge difference in your risks.

My BMI is 65. The way I look at it is like this. The chance of a leak is very slim. Less than 3%. The chance of me dying with a weight related issue in the next 5 yrs is more like 95%. I like my odds better with surgery than without.

Agree with Amy. I would just add to make sure you research and select the best possible surgeon. Ask him/her about complication and death rates (I did even though it was a tad awkward). I selected a Center of Excellence Surgeon and have had 0 issues. I think most people have no issues but it's the ones who do who tend to stick out so I understand your concerns. This is the best thing I've ever done and I was terrified going into surgery. Best wishes to you.

Hit send before I meant too. If you are a religious person, pray about it. Don't let the fear hold you back. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with your decision.

I think there is always a lot of things to think about. Ask your surgeon. There are risks when you get in a car, risks when you wake up in the morning. Life surrounds us with risk. This is a very controlled risk. The reason I went with my surgeon,( as I had three to choose from ) was the first day I met him. He sat down and looked at me and said, "Ask me anything" , then he asked me things. To this day, every time I see him he starts with , "Ask me anything, Tell me any concerns or thoughts" then he goes over blood work etc. I asked him his success rate, etc. I also asked about leaks, and other complications. He told me how he "double" seals and has not had one leak. So, I figure he wouldn't want to break that streak with me! It is scary, I was scared because I had to get two loans to pay for it, and if something went wrong, not only would I not be working but I would have to pay for everything out of pocket. It was already $18,000. No one can tell you it "can't" or "won't" happen, but the risk you are taking by having all the health issues you have currently, controlled or not is a higher risk.

When I left the hospital I was nauseated, and that night heaved quite a bit. I called him, and he called me back within an hour, as I was afraid I'd pop every seal that he put in. He gave me something to help with the nausea and he said, "Don't worry, I tie really good knots" :D

My BMI is 65. The way I look at it is like this. The chance of a leak is very slim. Less than 3%. The chance of me dying with a weight related issue in the next 5 yrs is more like 95%. I like my odds better with surgery than without.

I totally agree with you.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this comment. I too was concerned, but I went to my surgeon for a consult yesterday and he was so honest and informative; that any anxiety I may have had before this was put to rest. I know it is difficult to get your head in that place of comfort regarding the whole process at first, but it was very clear when he asked me, where will you be in 10 years with your health? More weight, older, more health issues, the list goes on. There is so much support on this site; it has really helped me get through the concerns. Be sure you have a surgeon that you really feel comfortable with.. for me that is the greatest part of it all. Good Luck to you!!

My highest BMI was 52. Surgery was fine. Staying fat was gonna kill me, not the surgery... Good luck.

This poster is correct - your odds of survival are better with the surgery. Leaks do happen, but they are pretty rare. You are probably more likely to get severely injured in a car crash in the next week. If you choose a doctor with a good reputation and follow his/her orders, you are fairly likely to have a good outcome - and improve your overall health and quality of life - probably your best bet for seeing your child graduate from college!

I won't lie - there are times when this is emotionally and mentally difficult, especially in the first month or so when your hormones are all out of whack and you want a piece of that pizza that your family is eating. Or when you are having extreme stomach cramps from eating 3 jelly Beans (I seem to have dumping issues from concentrated sugar). But overall, I LOVE my sleeve, I am SO HAPPY I did this, and HAVE NO REGRETS. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat - just wish I would have done this years ago!!

I'm 53 with high BMI (52) and have never had surgery. I have diabetes, high BP, sleep apnea and high cholesterol although everything well controlled.

I'm so freaked out about getting a leak that I don't think I can go through with this. After reading the stories about this I'm not sure I handle that risk. I am self employed and being out if work for 3 months would ruin my business. I have a kid in college and family relies on me for income.

I've read that my high BMI puts me at a higher risk for leaks. I'd like to lose before surgery but am having difficulty.

So confused ... I know I need this .

i started out with a BMI in the 60s. i'm 7 weeks out and no issues so far with leaks.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. After reading a bunch of postings from a few people that had leaks, I freaked out for a little while. I think I'm back on track now, as I know that my risk of doing nothing far outweighs my risk of a leak. In fact, upon coming home today had some recent lab results waiting in my mailbox, and they weren't good. I need this badly ....

I am biased for sure because I love my sleeve, but my BMI was over 50. I think what you're failing to consider is health wise you already have an incredible number of risk factors: age, diabetic, high cholesterol, high stress level (I'm assuming since self-employed seems like it'd be a busy lifestyle), etc. You could have a health crisis right now without even having surgery. What if you ended up in the hospital for a few months because you had a stroke? In my opinion, at least with this option you are making a step toward a healthier life to avoid those complications. Yeah, it comes with its own risks, but even for me, who didn't have any of those health issues, the benefits seemed to greatly outweigh the risks. Even just with diabetes if the surgery helps control it you not only will feel better, but it will decrease your risk for infection due to high blood sugars, help protect your kidneys, and so on. It's not for everyone, but even inaction has risks.

I am biased for sure because I love my sleeve, but my BMI was over 50. I think what you're failing to consider is health wise you already have an incredible number of risk factors: age, diabetic, high cholesterol, high stress level (I'm assuming since self-employed seems like it'd be a busy lifestyle), etc. You could have a health crisis right now without even having surgery. What if you ended up in the hospital for a few months because you had a stroke? In my opinion, at least with this option you are making a step toward a healthier life to avoid those complications. Yeah, it comes with its own risks, but even for me, who didn't have any of those health issues, the benefits seemed to greatly outweigh the risks. Even just with diabetes if the surgery helps control it you not only will feel better, but it will decrease your risk for infection due to high blood sugars, help protect your kidneys, and so on. It's not for everyone, but even inaction has risks.

You're right on all accounts and I need to keep reminding myself about the risk of doing nothing.

By the way, congratulations on your awesome weight loss success!

Andrew

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this comment. I too was concerned' date=' but I went to my surgeon for a consult yesterday and he was so honest and informative; that any anxiety I may have had before this was put to rest. I know it is difficult to get your head in that place of comfort regarding the whole process at first, but it was very clear when he asked me, where will you be in 10 years with your health? More weight, older, more health issues, the list goes on. There is so much support on this site; it has really helped me get through the concerns. Be sure you have a surgeon that you really feel comfortable with.. for me that is the greatest part of it all. Good Luck to you!![/quote']

I totally agree I feel very comfortable with my surgeon he calms my anxiety and fears as well as telling me that I'm going to do great. Hang in there we can do this!!!