Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgical Diet & eating out

Hi guys, Im due to be sleeved 7-30, was supposed to be sleeve 6-25 but the lab messed up my blood work so more waiting..wahhh! I have 2 questions. 1. what do you order while dining out in a restaurant (not fast food)? we eat out a LOT and Im not sure how that's going to work. and #2. can you tell me what YOU eat in a day? whats your daily menu..thanks guys! this site is fantastic, wish I would have joined a year ago when I started this journey :)

You can friend me, too on myfitnesspal. I track all my food everyday.

I'm: Needhelp27

I'm only 5 weeks post-op but when I did go out to eat a week ago I order soup/broth and a real chicken breast (not processed stuff) off the child's menu. As time goes on we should be able to order a lot of different stuff for lunch and dinner. Breakfast can be easy. Omelets (Yummy).

Eating is a whole new thing to us all.

For eating out, it depends on what phase you are on. Liquids: glass of milk (I'm not allowed straight juice or Soup, those might be options for you though).

Purees: refried Beans, cottage cheese, or yogurt

Soft foods: anything you can easily cut with a fork (what you can actually order may vary depending on your surgeon's instructions -- for instance, I'm not allowed beef, soup, raw veggies, starchy veggies, or anything carb based -- I would probably go with a piece of fish).

oh and for daily eating -- I'm on purees right now, here is what a typical day might look like:

breakfast: 1 poached egg

lunch: 3 T. nonfat small curd cottage cheese

dinner: 3 T. pureed spicy tuna salad (take one pouch of sweet & spicy tuna, puree with 1/2 T. olive oil mayo & 2 tsp. Sriracha sauce)

See Bufflehead's response. At the beginning I went simple...soup, chili, mashed potatoes, that sort of thing. Breakfast is always an option, no matter what time of the day. An egg and some bacon are kind of staples at home too. I am 7 months out now and I usually order chicken...which I NEVER did before surgery. But I also go for fish...or steak if I am in the mood for red meat. I rarely eat hamburgers or hot dogs...nothing fried, if I can help it, and ALWAYS ask for a box right away. Choose your Protein first...don't worry about the sides. I try to not even get them when I can since I don't like wasting food. So like with bfast...one egg, bacon, NO hashbrowns or toast...although once in a while I will get an english muffin and eat half. For a dinner order, I might have chicken and whatever the veg of the day is, and NO potatoes, unless they have sweet potatoes. Lettuce isn't really kind to me, so I usually skip a salad, although I do eat cole slaw if they have it...but never the full portion...too filling...need room for Protein.< /p>

I usually eat oatmeal with fruit in the morning; a cheese stick for a snack; coffee and Water all morning; leftovers, tuna salad, salmon salad, or turkey/chicken rollups for lunch; a Protein Bar for a p.m. snack (I usually need to for the extra protein to hit my target of 60-70 g/day); some kind of chicken, fish, or beef with a side veg for dinner; more coffee and Water throughout the rest of the day/evening.

Hope this helps! :)

When you get to the solid foods stage it is really not that hard to find things at restaurants. Most of the national chains have healthy menu items listed in their menus with the calories, carbs and Proteins listed. I know I eat at Denny's a lot(kids love it there) and they have a really good turkey cali jack burger that I usually have without the bun. Good Luck

Early on, of course, you will be limited to Soups and the like until you get into real foods. Talk to the server as to what they can make up to fit with whatever food texture you are limited to at the time. Once at that stage, most anything is game, with the main consideration being re-usability as you will only be having a small amount of what you order and taking the rest home in a box - you start to get disappointed if you can't get three meals out of a restaurant meal. I never tried entree salads again until I was well into maintenance as I couldn't have enough of the good parts (the meat and veg) to make it worthwhile, and they don't keep well. At a place like Outback, I'll have some of the steak and veg, nibble a bit of my wife's salad and have the french onion Soup packed to go. At a Mexican place, fajitas are a good bet - meat and veg and usually some rice and Beans and it all keeps well for another meal or two; or have an enchilada or burrito and eat the insides while leaving the tortilla behind.

The main caution with eating out a lot is that restaurant fare is usually higher calorie and sodium than what we would normally make at home, so check online menus and nutrient charts before leaving and see what fits best from that perspective. also check their breakfast/lunch menus as there may be something suitable there that isn't on the dinner menu - they can certainly make up some eggs for you if that is appropriate (even if they only "serve breakfast until 11am".) They are usually interested in keeping their customers happy will do whatever is reasonable to accommodate special needs.

Great point RickM! I always try to pick where we are going to eat ahead of time, and ALWAYS go online and look at the menu if there is one before we go to eat so that I have a plan before I get there. I might change my mind based on daily specials, but I always have the fall back decision.

I'm three months out, and I used to go out all the time. lunch everyday, and Dinners on weekends. Since I've been sleeved, I have not had one bit of any type of fast food, and I've been to a restaurant twice. I've found, I don't really enjoy it. Few reasons, you can't drink a nice glass of iced tea while chatting with your friends as it fills you up, and you can't have it after for 30 minutes and I really enjoyed chatting with a cool drink. I end up really overpaying for just a few bites of food. You can do it, but I have a feeling you just won't be doing so very often and honestly I thought I would miss it but....I dont!

Thanks so much guys! I think for me the hardest thing will be the appetizers and a cold beer..ugh...I will have to really retrain my brain to drink AFTER I eat, that part is so hard but I gotta do it. I am hoping to lose the whole "grazing" thing after surgery as I have a desk job and snack a LOT during the day..you guys have been so helpful, thank you!!! :)

For me, I try to "eat clean" when eating out. Grilled fish, chicken, or steak (although most steak isn't tender enough for me) with a plain baked potato and some kind of vegetable. If a dish comes with rice, like grilled fish, I ask for no rice.

thanks!!!

I too find it difficult to eat out. I will order either a Soup or an appetizer that has some Protein. I am three months post op & had to get a "divorce from food". I initially would order a meal like I normally used & quickly & painfully realize that I was hurting myself. I would end up eating a few bites & giving it away or end up throwing it out. Like many others I now order small & simple & don't go out as often as I did. It's not worth it & yes not being able to have a drink before, during & after a meal is not appealing unless you time it precisely. Good luck to you. I'm also glad to hear others having similar problems & concerns.

I agree, it's not fun to eat out anymore. I've done it a few times but it is a bummer not being able to drink before and after. I've taken all the food I've orders home and usually eat it one more day and then throw it out. My hubby usually orders good and I just take a few bites of his food. I'm now told I'm a cheap date! Lol. Just have to make better choices and your body will tell you what you can tolerate and what you can't. I agree with the breakfast suggestion. Usually can get anytime and anywhere. Well at least here in Las Vegas you can. Good luck!