Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not doing the liquid diet

What I have been failing at is my choice of meals and not getting as much Protein in ad i should be guess I should have been more clear sorry

No worries, but ultimately it's our own doctor's opinions that matter. I'd tell him just to be safe and to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

I sent him an email earlier today should have a response tomorrow

Good Ashlee! Keep us posted. It may not mean anything considering he lets you eat one meal a day.

I am so shocked at that. Did you lose a certain amount of weight in the past couple weeks. I can't get over how different doctors can be. Are you having surgery at a Bariatric Center of Excellence? I am very curious. I almost want to keep track of everybody's answers. You don't have to answer- but I am interested. Does your surgeon specialize in bariatrics or does he do many abd. surgeries?

I haven't lost any weight. Yes, it's a center of excellence. Yes he specializes in baratrics. I had lap band almost 2 years ago and nothing but problems, I actually weigh more than I did 2 years ago. All his sleeve surgeries are Clear liquids 24 hours before. I had my scope on Tuesday and its all good. He said the shrinking of the liver is bs. It hardly works. That's just what he said.

My surgeon palpates your abdomen in the pre-op appointment and has you go on the liquid diet if he feels a fatty liver is going to be an issue (in my case, I didn't have to do it--I think it's more common for people who have a lot of abdominal adipose tissue, which is usually genetic as related to some people having more of an "apple" shape). However, if my surgeon had told me to do a liquid diet--I definitely would have followed it religiously. Two weeks pre-op is not really the time to be doing food funerals (I didn't do that bc I didn't want to have to work harder after surgery to take off weight I would have surely gained).

I don't agree that it's the surgeon's "opinion" that matters--it's the evidence-based medicine that matters, and hopefully we all have surgeons that follow the EBM. Mine did, and that's one of the reasons I chose him.

I know of 2 people other than myself that recently had the sleeve. All of us used a different Dr and all were a COE. None had the same pre-op or post op instructions or diet. One had no pre-op diet, one had 1 week liquids and I have 2 weeks shakes and 1 lean/green meal. The other 2 have done very well. One took her kids to an amusement park and walked all day at 5 days post-op. I really think its jut ll in how they interpret the evidence and is probably influenced by the Dr that trained them.

My doctor lets his patients have a 'last meal' the night before surgery. Anything you want and 2 margaritas tops (though he does require a 1 or 2 week pre op diet depending on your BMI). :D

I have no clue where all the variations of pre-op diets come from. Maybe part of it is the experience of the individual surgeon and how capable/comfortable he is with the gastric sleeve, BMI of the patient, co morbidities, etc.

I would do what your Dr. says and not what anyone else's Dr. says. I am far from my preop diet, but I asked my Dr. about it. He said he gives different instructions to each patient depending on their condition.

When I am struggling to succeed (it will happen), I hope people will tell me, "This moment in time is not forever. Exercise a little self-control and just do it without making excuses and/or looking for people to support you in your failure."

My surgeon palpates your abdomen in the pre-op appointment and has you go on the liquid diet if he feels a fatty liver is going to be an issue (in my case' date=' I didn't have to do it--I think it's more common for people who have a lot of abdominal adipose tissue, which is usually genetic as related to some people having more of an "apple" shape). However, if my surgeon had told me to do a liquid diet--I definitely would have followed it religiously. Two weeks pre-op is not really the time to be doing food funerals (I didn't do that bc I didn't want to have to work harder after surgery to take off weight I would have surely gained).

I don't agree that it's the surgeon's "opinion" that matters--it's the evidence-based medicine that matters, and hopefully we all have surgeons that follow the EBM. Mine did, and that's one of the reasons I chose him.[/quote']

How could a doctor feel anything through fat?? If a doctor palpitated my stomach all he would feel is skin and fat

I kinda resent the theory thst the diet is based on BMI. One of the girls I mentioned earlier had 50lb more to lose than i do. I know, life isn't fair.

How could a doctor feel anything through fat?? If a doctor palpitated my stomach all he would feel is skin and fat

If you have more abdominal obesity, it's more likely that you will have a fatty liver, because it means your body tends to deposit fat in that region--both subcutaneous (under the skin/visible) fat and fat on vital organs.

I do not have to do the pre op diet. Just the one day before I have to do full liquids. You will find there are so many different things each doctor requires. You did a great job with losing weight. Call your doctors office and let them know you are struggling. They will tell you what you need to do. People can be a little harsh on here. I know you arent looking for someone to tell you it is ok. I know you are looking for support, someone who understands and I can appreciate that. My surgery is July 23rd and I am really worried about the first 4 weeks but I know I can do it. I have lost 30 pounds since I started in February and the first 2 weeks were not easy. I took it one day at a time. Good luck to you.

I am on day 4 of a 2 week pre op liquid diet. Up to 5 Protein shakes a day' date=' broth, Vitamin Water Zero, sugar free ice pops, etc. Please believe me when I say it gets easier after day 3. I would not have believed it myself yesterday as I was still miserable and hungry. I had my food funerals in the week leading up to starting the pre op diet.

PLEASE do what your doctors says. My Mom's cousin went in for Gastric Bypass and woke up with no surgery because her liver was too big/fatty to do the surgery.

Good luck![/quote']

When you say 5 shakes per day....how many calories are each?

When you say 5 shakes per day....how many calories are each?

I have the Premier Protien shakes, they are 160 calories each,30 grams of protien. I have not had more than 3 per day, thought I would need 4 or maybe even 5 but I have been good with only 3. Lots of Water, a sugar free ice pop and a few cups of chicken broth each day.

I am failing miserably at the liquid diet. I have tried and tried hard I just can't do it. Surgery is Wednesday. I know after I have to do it and I know I will be able to. But right now I have food funerals a d nerves causing me to fail. Hope this doesn't effect surgery

Hey Ashlee:

A few days closer to surgery for you, and I hope it is getting easier. It takes a lot of courage to post when we feel we are failing. I'm glad you emailed your surgeon and clarified what you meant by "failing". It is hard, but every day is a victory for you! Best of luck in the next few days and on Wednesday! You'll be in my thoughts. Keep us posted!