Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you compare vomiting with the sleeve vs the band?

i was banded 3 1/2 yrs ago. I frequently vomited (about 3-6x a week) causing my slip last year. It got to be so routine that I'd just bed over and up would come the food. No pain involved at all, just bend over and out comes the food.

But thats because my band was blocking the way. Now that I will have a sleeve (next week, eeek!), how will it compare (if I accidently vomit, I'm hoping not to at all, but I am a true vomiter, even before my band).

If I do vomit, will it be the violent vomit like before my band or just food like with the band?

I have done a lot of vomiting post op but not even the same as when I had the band. Can I say its more natural?

Wow, that sounds so familiar, sadly. For the final two years I had my band, everything I ate came right back up. That is definitely not a problem with the sleeve. The only time is if I am actually physically sick with something like the flu, or I ignore my stop signal; which is quite difficult to do because it is a loud and terribly obnoxious hiccough. Fortunately, I am usually able to stop myself, so I have no problems.

I'm a newbie but I am happy to report at two weeks out I have not vomited. Yay! Hope that doesn't change when I get to soft foods.

I had the band for 3 years and 3 months (Oct. 2009) and vomited at least once daily for the last 2 1/2 years of having it. And the last 6 months I even vomited liquids all by themselves, no soft/solid food even involved. It was insane (and even more insane that I was too embarrassed to tell my surgeon until December 2012). I finally told my surgeon because I would wake up from a deep sleep, choking on vomit. To the point I had to start sleeping upright for months. In Feb. 2013, had the band out and the sleeve done in the same surgery and OH, HAS LIFE CHANGED!! I feel alive again. I am literally getting all my nutrients and able to eat, enjoy, and digest healthy foods. I have not vomited even once. I have, however, felt nauseous when I have overeaten by just a bite or two and that requires a walk around the house and deep breathing and then it has passed. My surgeon and all the research I have done has said that vomiting with the sleeve is not normal, so unless you have the flu, you should not be vomiting and should immediately seek medical attention. Congratulations on the next chapter of your life just days away!

Comparing tthe two....the crapband is far worse.....with the sleeve your doctor doesnt want you to feel nausea or throw up the first couple of months because you risk complications....but being 13 months post revision I can count on one had how many times I've thrown up since surgery, and still have fingers left....

All hail the sleeve! :)

I am almost 10 weeks out and have not vomited even once. I used to get stuck and vomit all the time with the band. I have suffered severe nausea post op and was on meds for awhile but now it seems to be getting better. I am glad I made the decision to get the band out.

I am 2 weeks post op(June 26th 2013) and I have experienced some vomiting. A few times each week. I am still learning how to listen to and care for my new body, but I had been vomiting since my hospital stay. Some days are better than others, and I just try to sip, sip, sip. My body doesn't appear to appreciate the milk based Protein Shakes I drank so I had to switch to Isopure. I think it is specific to the person. I never had the band, but I am dealing with vomiting. It doesn't hurt, just annoying. I hope you don't have the same experience. None of my peers did, so I figure I am just the "lucky one". I go to the doctor for my 2 week post op next week, so I hope I am better by then.

What a great question, I was thinking the same thing. With the lapband i got to where I wasnt able to keep down Protein (beef, chicken) I would also wake up from a deep sleep and have to vomit it was just stomach acid nothing more. So because of that I had an endoscopy done and it did show some scarring and i was given Nexum to help clear the acid. This is one reason my New doctor suggested the rny but I really want the sleeve.

After TEN years of puking with my band (sometimes daily), I am ecstatic to say that I haven't had any vomiting at all with my sleeve. I'm 2 months out today and am so happy with my sleeve. I'm eating all the dense lean Proteins and fresh fruits and vegetables I couldn't eat for the last 10 years without ending up face first in a toilet or trash can!!

I do eat very slowly and chew carefully out of habit from so many years with the band, so maybe that helps. I still mentally feel like some foods will get stuck, but haven't had a problem yet!! :)

After TEN years of puking with my band (sometimes daily), I am ecstatic to say that I haven't had any vomiting at all with my sleeve. I'm 2 months out today and am so happy with my sleeve. I'm eating all the dense lean Proteins and fresh fruits and vegetables I couldn't eat for the last 10 years without ending up face first in a toilet or trash can!!

I do eat very slowly and chew carefully out of habit from so many years with the band, so maybe that helps. I still mentally feel like some foods will get stuck, but haven't had a problem yet!! :)

That's amazing! Looking forward to it :)

I had the band for 2 years and did a sleeve revision in January 2013. I vomited several times a day with the band and would wake up to reflux and vomit all night. My band was so bad that it was not productive burping it was full on massive amounts if vomiting. I have only had 2 episodes of vomiting with sleeve. Both times were my fault for eating bread to fast and then becoming terribly full. I had a lot if nausea for first month with sleeve but it goes away.

I look forward to eating meats and fruits and veggies too. I hated my band but somehow always thought it would get better. Its reassuring to hear from others who had their band longer than me say it doesn't. I'm sleeved now 3 weeks there's no going back. Being banded is so dysfunctional. First you its almost impossible to eat right due to getting stuck. Second when you show up to the doctor who put it in they blame you for its failure. Yeah buddy iits my fault I choke on coffee and Water.< /p>

I am over a year out from the sleeve and my issue is I cannot vomit even when I want or need to! Even having a horrible stomach flu I just can't vomit. The most I have done is dry heave twice. I'm not sure if there is a chance that something was damaged during the surgery or if I'm just an odd case. Lol. I will get severe heart burn and acid reflux in which I still use ant acids almost daily. So I'm thinking the movement of my esophagus or upper stomach has been damaged in some way. ( can't say it's a really bad thing as I always hated and dreaded vomiting) lol.

It is my belief that you basically cannot avoid at least some vomiting with the crapband.

With the sleeve, if you are doing alot of vomiting, there is something not right in my opinion. You should investigate if you have a stricture or something OR you should really check on how you are eating. I have vomited maybe 2-3 time with the sleeve - it was back when I got wound up and ate too fast. I went through a rough spell about 6-8 months out when I was doing some wrestling with my food addiction. It was hell... it was like real vomiting. I never want to do that again...lol.

I am 18 months out and have been maintaining a 150# loss with the sleeve since Feb. I don't vomit. I don't abuse food anymore. I think most people can avoid vomiting with the sleeve without a lot of effort...