Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Topic title is pretty self explanatory, I think..... :)

I'm only 3 weeks in and am looking for advice from more experienced sleevers in regards to the changing of habits. A lot has changed for me, for all of us I'm sure, post- surgery and I would love to hear from some of you about the the best changes that have taken place for you and/ or the greatest habits that you have learned.

PAYING ATTENTION to what I eat and drink rather than mindless grazing.

Protein, protein and protein!!! I am 3.5 months post op and I used to have serious food addiction...sometimes just eating when I wasn't hungry. Getting my protein in helps so much with everything. I also started exercising more and that is a wonderful habit to develop. I pay attention to everything that goes in mt mouth.

Tracking my food and exercise using MyFitnessPro.

Not drinking while I eat and waiting 30 minutes after eating to drink. I actually eat less!

Finding excuses to exercise, i.e. parking farther away than I would have in the past and walking instead of driving. Helps that I'm not dragging around the extra weight.

Learning to LOVE Greek Yogurt!!

I'm not much of a veteran, but I do know the best thing I've EVER done on any healthy eating plan is tracking. Find an app that you love and track everything, food, drink AND exercise.

I weigh and measure my portions 90% of the time, which is really helpful when I am away from home and can't do it. It's almost a game for me at this point. I portion out my food, guess the portion and then weigh it to see how close I am. I'm really good at it after all these years at WWs,

Some people find this practice tedious, almost as if I am food policing myself. That said, to me, it's empowering because I am taking control of my consumption. Still able to eat what I enjoy, in moderation, with no guilt.

I have to agree with the others who stated that tracking food and exercise and getting the Protein in first are the most important lessons. Good Luck.

In addition to the things stated above, I would add - get a pedometer and keep track of your normal walking distances for a few days - to get a baseline. Then try to walk farther each day. The goal: reach a minimum of 10,000 steps per day/7 days a week.

Tracking food is critical to success. Also, for the long term always remember what you learned early out - Protein first! When I hear about people who have some regain it's usually because they have added things back into their diet and have forgotten the cardinal rule of always eating your protein first and not drinking during or after meals.

How did you accomplish that? I've tried lol

Yeah, really, it took some doing. I never really even liked regular yogurt until after my sleeve. But, oddly my tastes have changed. I don't eat sugar, so I buy the 0% Plain and start doctoring.

Try making cheesecake yogurt: one 4 or 5 oz container of plain Greek yogurt, Splenda to taste, tsp of Cinnamon, and a tsp or so of good vanilla (the real stuff, not the fake).

Or, get some sugar- free fruit preserves. Whole Foods makes a delicious Wild Blueberry. A tsp of that in 4 oz of plain yogurt, then Splenda to taste. It's my late night snack (beats the huge bowl of ice cream I used to have every night).

I don't have any smoothie recipes, but a friend makes her smoothies with Greek yogurt for the added Protein. She is using the Davinci syrups and agave, I think.

Protein first. Period.

Protein first and no drinking with eating. Exercise is my new favorite thing to do. I read a quote that read..." If you can train, you can train harder." That's my motto when I go to the gym.

Topic title is pretty self explanatory' date=' I think..... :)

I'm only 3 weeks in and am looking for advice from more experienced sleevers in regards to the changing of habits. A lot has changed for me, for all of us I'm sure, post- surgery and I would love to hear from some of you about the the best changes that have taken place for you and/ or the greatest habits that you have learned.[/quote']

Now that I'm at goal, having a weight range and staying in it. I have a 2 lb. bounce range. 135-137. If I hit 137 - NO SNACKS!! So far (15 months at goal), so good.

I eat Protein first, and if I'm going somewhere with junky food (movies,parties, etc), I eat a filling, healthy meal before I go.

I still weigh and measure my food most of the time and I weigh myself every morning.

I keep my cupboards and fridge stocked with healthy choices that I enjoy.

Lynda