Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love some feedback

I'm 5 months post op and 78 lbs down. I have 13 lbs to goal. It probably sounds stupid but I'm having the worst time mentally seeing I have lost weight. When I see myself in the mirror I don't see any change. When I go shopping I'm always still looking in the Xl department. I've been taking pictures every week to try to help it sink in but doesnt seem to help. Any suggestions?

If you haven't already, try putting on some of your clothes you wore this time last year. At 70 lbs down, I bet they'll be falling of you. Go to the mall or something & just try on clothes 3 or 4 sizes smaller than pre-op. You'd be pleasantly surprised.

I'm 5 months post op and 78 lbs down. I have 13 lbs to goal. It probably sounds stupid but I'm having the worst time mentally seeing I have lost weight. When I see myself in the mirror I don't see any change. When I go shopping I'm always still looking in the Xl department. I've been taking pictures every week to try to help it sink in but doesnt seem to help. Any suggestions?

I lost over 200 5-6 years ago and couldn't see it. I didn't was my head around it and I think it is why I gained it all back. I decided this time that I WILL go to a counselor for help with that. Obviously you've lost it so its time to SEE that you have. Good luck, maybe it is time to see a counselor too. Talk to your surgeon's office they certainly have a list of counselors that are familiar with issues bariatric patients face. I know mine did.

Ain't our heads funny??? Think we all go through this strange reaction! I mean "I am the FAT man!"

I still have this problem as well. I still find myself going to the plus sized department...when I fold my clothes I find myself putting my jeans in my daughters pile. I see it when I look in the mirror....but in my head I am still a big girl. I think it just takes time. Good luck!

I lost over 200 5-6 years ago and couldn't see it. I didn't was my head around it and I think it is why I gained it all back. I decided this time that I WILL go to a counselor for help with that. Obviously you've lost it so its time to SEE that you have. Good luck' date=' maybe it is time to see a counselor too. Talk to your surgeon's office they certainly have a list of counselors that are familiar with issues bariatric patients face. I know mine did.[/quote']

Brian, did you lose 200 pounds and gain it all back after having bariatric surgery???

Brian' date=' did you lose 200 pounds and gain it all back after having bariatric surgery???[/quote']

No. This was "the hard" way. Seriously it was dieting and I got down to 200 lbs from well over 400. I made the choice of bariatric surgery after the success(10 yrs) of my mother and seeing a few friends successful with the sleeve after about a year. I'm just starting the wls journey.

Edit: I'm well over 400 again although already down over 50 from the start of the preop diet

No. This was "the hard" way. Seriously it was dieting and I got down to 200 lbs from well over 400. I made the choice of bariatric surgery after the success(10 yrs) of my mother and seeing a few friends successful with the sleeve after about a year. I'm just starting the wls journey.

Edit: I'm well over 400 again although already down over 50 from the start of the preop diet

Well it sounds like you're well on your way to a healthy life! I'm hoping to get sleeved in early September and put an end to a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. I wish you the best of luck!

Well it sounds like you're well on your way to a healthy life! I'm hoping to get sleeved in early September and put an end to a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks, that was my reason for bariatric surgery was ending the yo-yo best of luck to you too!

Thank you everyone I appreciate the feedback. I just guess it will take time. Next time I will try on a couple times smaller just to see.....

Brian good luck on your new journey. Its not an easy one to say the least but, absolutely well worth the effort. Please keep us updated. =)

Brian good luck on your new journey. Its not an easy one to say the least but' date=' absolutely well worth the effort. Please keep us updated. =)[/quote']

Thanks, you too!

I went shopping for more than a shirt here and there for the first time last week. I was constantly searching for 3xl and 2xl shirts, size 44-46 pants but everything I put on was too baggy. My wife finally told me to wait and she'll bring me things to try on. I ended up with some xl shirts, a few 2xl's and size 38 pants. I'd look at them before putting them on and see that tiny circle they made where my waist is supposed to go and suddenly feel defeated until I tried them on. I hate my mind sometimes, it's taking a long time to prove to myself that progress has been made too.

I have a little different problem, I know I have lost weight and I get the smaller sizes when I am shopping for them, but any other time I still feel big. I have dropped 10 sizes! It took me going to the pool which was daring enough, but when I got there I was the skinniest one there! I have been reliving that moment for weeks! Now its starting to sink in little by little. But without standing in front of a mirror I catch myself with the mentality of still being fat.

Yep, our heads are strange aren't they. I saw myself walking in the glass and did not recognize myself...

Still seem pleanty fat to me.