Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to the ER with dizziness, headache, rapid heart rate. They said I had dehydration and my body was going into ketosis where you start to eat your own muscle. That eventually it could be life threatening. I'm 7 days post op so this is scary! I lost 13 pounds in 9 days. I started at 180, I now weight 167. I just hope it's only dehydration and not a leak :/ scared.

Had you been able to drink fluids?

Glad you're okay!

No, if it was a leak, your white blood cells would be up, and there'd be other signs. And I'm not just making this up to reassure you, I'm an ER nurse.

If they said it was dehydration, it's probably dehydration. Drink more, and make sure you're getting a bit of salt with your fluids, it helps you hang on to the hydration.

Ketosis happens anytime you have reduced carbs, and/or reduced calories, OR with dehydration. I've done lots of medically supervised diets where ketosis is the goal, so don't let the ER guys scare you. In the ER, ketosis is bad, because they're seeing diabetics who yes, could die from what's going on. They forget that other things cause ketones in the urine. 7 days post-op, I would think ketosis was expected, and you are getting ketones in your urine from breaking down FAT, which is what you want. Your body is burning all that ugly old fat and using it up, just like you want it to!!!

Drink more fluids (have some broth), and be happy. You've taken a brave step, and this little bump in the road will just serve as a reminder to you to drink your fluids!

(Oh, and if they gave you IV fluids, your weight may go up. But DON'T WORRY, and don't get discouraged. It takes a few days to shift it, but shift it you will, along with all that burned up fat you're getting rid of!)

I am also a nurse. You would be having pain and changes in your blood work. You must try to drink and get in your fluids....it is very important!

Drink a lot of gatorade and Water. I usually mix the low calorie with water and can get a ton of Fluid in me then. :P

Thank you so much for your replies. I'm only 19 so all this is kinda scary to me. But it did scare me into drinking! I'm drinking milk for calories and fat and Protein. I'm also drinking Gatorade and I will probably have some Tomato Soup for dinner. I wasn't drinking enough so that's my own fault. I won't let it happen again. Going into all this, my biggest fear was leak, so if dehydration is the worst, I'm happy about that. I hate the Protein Shakes so I'm figuring different ways to get protein in. My nutritionist said I need to drink two protein shakes tomorrow but that's going to be awful. But thankfully she said Sunday I could have yogurt because this happened.

I have consistent bad breath and am going through Ketosis, but I also know it is a product of the rapid weight loss. I am two weeks post op. I do the liquids with out problems but I also eat liquid Soup and add salt, and FOR ME this helps so much. It creates some sort of metabolism balance. I do what is needed and know my body is responding to it appropriately. Do wish the bad breath would stop for my fiance's sake, lol. I brush a lot and gum and anything, but it is a trade off for now.

I am also nurse and agree with everyone else. I have had to be treated for dehydration twice - once with an ER visit in the last 3 weeks. Ketosis is normal at this stage. Just keep focusing on Water and staying awake as much as you can. 2 things that helped me - writing hourly goals of 4 oz on 2 32 ounce water bottles and the other - using a straw. I know the straw is a no no but I was able to get so much more in with a straw. Gas pain and bloating isn't fun - but was better than the feeling of dehydration for me.

How long did the bloated stomach last after surgery?

I still get it sometimes at 3 weeks out - but the worst was during week 1 and 2. I would just pace in my bedroom, sit up in a comfortable chair, and the gas x strips also helped. The strips also helped any time I was feeling nauseated - think it is the mint flavor. When feeling bloated - if laying down - turn side to side every few minutes - this helped my gas move. Feel for you - my first 2 weeks were much harder than I expected. If you have a support person - parent or friend - talk to them about how serious this is and how much help you really need. As a nurse - I know all the things I am "supposed" to do - but I felt so bad that I got my mom to be bossy and stay on top of me with my fluids. Now at least 5 people contact me a day to make sure I am drinking. I did the broth of my favorite Soups, low sugar apple juice, Water, Popsicles with sugar because something is better than nothing, and the zero calorie SoBe waters. I still can't get in 64 oz in - but each day I get in a little bit more.

My mom is constantly on me about it. I wish I had a good way to measure liquids every time. I'll have some milk then some Gatorade then Water and just pour them out of a big jug not knowing exactly how much I'm talking in. I really need to start being diligent about measuring.

As a nurse - I know all the things I am "supposed" to do - but I felt so bad that I got my mom to be bossy and stay on top of me with my fluids.

In my experience, nurses are the WORST patients, LOL.

I'm a sophomore in college going to school for nursing!

I'm a sophomore in college going to school for nursing!

Ah, well, you can't start breaking the rules until you graduate!