Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's different?

Okay you fabulous & 50 sleevers, had a quick question...is there anything different for VSG patients 50 and over (for instance is the weight loss slower?) Anything I should know?

I'm hitting 50 in a few short months, and was just wondering if there's anything age related that's not being discussed on other boards....Many thanks!

On a side note, my NUT has seen permanent weight loss success more often with patients in our age bracket than patients in their 20's...thinks its a maturity thing (this is her personal experience only)....that's encouraging!

I don't have a surgery date yet, but after talking with the surgeon's office, and if approved, I may be looking at a mid August date for surgery.

Many thanks!

I feel my weight loss is slow. All the years of Yo Yo dieting have taken its toll. Exciting to hear that once I do get all this weight off, it may stay off, one advantage to a little age, lol.

Good luck on your journey!

my experience and perception are the same as gr8kauz's...in my case, I think it's the natural slow-down of metabolism (I am also menopausal although not every woman 50+ is of course) and the fact that I have been a type 2 diabetic for over ten years now...there are plenty of women on this forum who are over 50 who have been quite successful...so the Club Five-Oh members can do it!!

I'm 66 and am steadily losing but not setting any weight loss records. 7 months out and down 74 lbs. being older it took a lot of thought before I did this. Some of the younger ones just jump in and expect a miracle to occur without much effort. I'll get to my goal but it may take me awhile.

I'm 50 and a slow loser (I don't care how fast I lose AT ALL). The most important thing to me is preserving/improving my health. I want to stay active in my daily lifestyle. Right now, I am the most physically active non-athlete I know.

I am 52 and am 4 months out. I am very pleased thus far with the results. 53 pounds down. 13 was pre op so 40 since surgery. That's 10 pounds per month on average! Others have lost faster but I don't at all consider it slow. I have not lost anything this last month but I am losing inches. I think that at our age, our bodies do take longer to adjust to the loss so it doesn't surprise me that longer adjustment period my be required during this loss. I am hoping any day though to get on the scale it see it moving again.

That said, my eating plan that my surgeon and NUT have me on is not low carb. It is just the basic rules of the sleeve, Protein first, veggies and fruits second and carbs last. It is their belief that just eating healthy will achieve the results. I am 2 pounds away from where my NUT wants me to be at 6 months so I am on track for that goal for sure.

I also think we are much more patient with the process. We know the weight didn't come on over night and are fine with it taking a while for it to come off. In the meantime, we are all enjoying healthier and more active lives!

I am 50 and menopausal. I feel I am losing at a great rate. I was also diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 1998. I am now in remission. That feels awesome. I walk every day for an hour. I eat low carb and my sleeve has healed completely, at least it seems that way.

I am 55.. had the sleeve on April 8th... I am down 44 lbs. I would never ... ever have lost this much in what 3 months??? nope never... its all good and I am feeling fine... energetic ... walking every day... and working my sleeve... :)

anncharlie, I am impressed with your success so far...I am 51 and had my surgery May 6th (so just a month after you)...I've only lost 30 so far and had hoped to have lost closer to 40 by now...I have a little more overall weight to lose than you to reach the same goal weight of 150...I am just wondering what I am doing differently from you...I walk most days but not every single day...also having some energy issues...if I may ask, how many calories are you taking in per day? liquids and Proteins? typical meal plan for a day? thanks for any feedback you can give

tigerbelle-I was sleeved on the 8th and have lost 35. We are not that different. You are doing awesome. Please don't be discouraged.

I really am grateful that i'm not in my 20's or even 30's - I DO wish I could have done this in my 40's but they didn't have it. I just think we're smarter at this age, i'm not sure if i'm any more patient, but I know that I never expect anything to be easy.

Thank you all! I'm officially in the 'waiting for approval' stage....but I'm not that anxious about it.....maybe it's age LOL

I haven't hit menopause....but I am on medicine that prevents my period...I'll be on it for another 4 years (to fight off breast cancer recurrence)...it'll be interesting to see if that has any effect....

Good reminder not to compare the rate of weight loss success with others....thanks again!