Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 4 days post op. I'm totally exhausted and sore everywhere, especially when I take a deep breath. I'm not sick but feel nauseas most of the time.. Shouldn't this be going away soon? Hope it's not a life sentence! Someone please remind me again why I chose to do this to myself...

Breathe...it will get better, every day! Soon, this immediate period of post-op recovery will be a distant memory and you'll be elated when you step on the scale each week!

Patience, you pretty much answered your question within your question. You are 4 days post-op! It will get better, and will get better quickly! There are lots of muscles theat were displaced to get in you your stomach, and, they took an ORGAN out of you. Ok, not completely, but they removed a pretty big piece of your insides. It will not feel good the day after or even 4-5 days after, but it will get much better. Focus on getting your fluids no matter what and don't over exert yourself!

Today i am on day 6 and it is much better then day 5 was and day 4 for me was the worst hang in there !!

I felt good at Day 6 (able to drink 24oz of Water in an hour) at my first pre-op appointment. Took my kitties to the vet on Day 7 (with my boyfriend along for the ride and to lift the kitty carriers). Went to a former boss' retirement party about 80 miles from my house on Day 8. I was exhausted quickly with all of these activities and continued to nap, sip, nap, sip. I returned to my desk job on Day 10 (including a 3+ hour commute)...and was flat wiped out by the end of that work week.

I'm now 3.5 weeks out and my energy is still not what it was pre-op, but I'm sure part of it is the low calorie consumption!

I will say, too, that I've been told I had a speedy, textbook recovery...and I still take it easy on myself every day. I know I'm not fully healed yet (the purees are a constant reminder!) and I know that I won't be for awhile. :)

Like I said before, it gets infinitely better every day. Take it easy, take care of yourself and don't rush the process - long-lasting consequences can happen if you don't get your rest, fluids, Protein, etc. Your body will guide you :)

I'm 4 days post op. I'm totally exhausted and sore everywhere, especially when I take a deep breath. I'm not sick but feel nauseas most of the time.. Shouldn't this be going away soon? Hope it's not a life sentence! Someone please remind me again why I chose to do this to myself...

You did this because, although there'd be some discomfort at first, in time you'd be losing weight and feeling better again.

Dont worry, it wont be long until you are saying "I am so glad that I did this and would do it again!" You will get through these bumps in the road soon, just keep doing what you are supposed to be doing, WALK WALK WALK! Walking will help the gas pains! Hope you feel better soon!

I had a total meltdown on my fourth day post-op. Its the hardest day and after it well its done.. It was up hill from there.

Same for me but on day 3 when being discharged. After week one it was slowly uphill all the way! I have not felt so good in twenty years at this point (sleeved May 6). The energy level isn't always there but as previously mentioned, that is likely the lower calorie intake. Still, it wasn't like I had an abundance of energy before having the sleeve (that was a big motivator to having it!) and I know I will work my way up to it one day soon. Hang in there, Jessica :-)

It does get better. It did for me, around day 7. But I think you are going through Stage 15 right now. :-)

Stages of Weight Loss Surgery

1 - I'm fatter than ever. I've tried everything, I'm miserable and I'll never be normal.

2 - Contact insurance company and get referral for WLS

3 - Do I really want to cut out part of my stomach? Is this really what I want to do? Maybe just one more try, to do it "on my own."

4 - Okay, I'm sure. I need help losing the weight.

5 - WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG!

6 - First doctor's appointment. So Excited!!

7 - What? Why can't I get the surgery next week? Why do I have to do all these appointments?

8 - OMG OMG OMG I Got my date!!! Wonder if I can bring my leftover stomach home in a jar, like tonsils????

9 - I'M NOT READY FOR THIS! What if I'm the one person this doesn't work for?

10 - food funeral - One last pigout to say goodbye to my favorites.

11 - Two week liquid diet - Holy crap! How am I suppose to live on this gunk! Feels like I am starving. Maybe just one slice of pizza?

12 - Day before surgery - Am I sure... am I sure? They can't put my stomach back in if this is a mistake. I can't do this, I can't!

13 - Hour after surgery - Okay, it feels like an alien is trying to pop out of my chest. Where's that morphine pump! ...I'm feeling ok, I can make it!

14 - Hours after surgery - What do you mean you want me to get up and walk?! Can I have a popsicle?

15 - Home - Can't lay down, can't sit up, can't eat anything without stomach complaining. I CAN'T DO THIS!! What the F did I do to myself? Please Lord, take me now.

16 - Week after surgery - Okay... things aren't so bad now. I can make it. Still can't get in the recommended Protein and fluids. Still wondering if I really messed up.

17 - One month - Okay, soft foods are getting old, things still hard, but I can live with this. Am I ever gonna poop?

Everyday gets better! I am 8 days post op and after I first came home from the hospital I stayed in bed most of the day because I just felt weak. This does pass! On day 6 I started feeling like a new person and yesterday...I can't even describe to you how awesome I felt. I can't feel my incisions anymore and it doesn't hurt to cough or breath. You will do GREAT! I know it's hard right now but just keep reminding yourself of what you are going to look like a few months down the road!!

It will get better each day. I was just like you wondering why I did it after surgery, but it is totally worth it in the long run. You will start to feel a little better each day, and there is nothing better than to see those pounds fly off on the scale. Have faith that it will get better and good luck.Keep us posted, we are here for you.

I felt the same way and it's normal to feel it. The first week is the worst, but it gets better each day after that. I'm 6 weeks out and believe me I thought I would never get through that first week or so. But here I am, able to eat most things (just tiny amounts) and no issues - AND down 40 pounds. Be patient (I know it's hard!), but you will get through this.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but it will get better. Aside from the discomfort from surgery, everyone tolerates anesthesia differently and that will take a while to exit your system completely. Warm peppermint tea helped me the first week. I was very fortunate not to suffer from nausea, but prior to surgery that always settled my stomach (and it counts as your water) Walking around, even though you don't feel like it helps too. Good luck!