Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for some post opps..

Hello,

My surgery date is July 5th and I am starting to get really nervous. I have a few questions about the first few weeks post op...

1) Nausea. I can handle pain, but nausea will shut me down for sure. How many of you had it and for how long?

2) Kids. I have a four year old daughter who is going to want to play outside, go to the park, etc. Were you able to care for your kids without help the first week or two?

3) Water. Not for drinking but swimming. How long before you were able to be in a swimming pool or river? I live in a really hot part of Cali and I love my water play!

Thank you so much for your advice.????

Just answering for me so hopefully no one gets mad if my experience was different than there's. I had no nausea. I do not have any kids but I have a 65lb dog who I was able to walk with no problem after about 5 days. I also went back to work as a nanny at 5 days with a 7 year old a 4 year old and a 3 year old. And I was okayed for swimming at 2 weeks. Hope that helps.

I'm a little over a month out now

6 weeks out, sleeved 5/15/13

1. No nausea at all :) Was in hospital for 1 night and I know they gave me anti-nausea meds in pre-op and in my IV after surgery. Came home with nausea meds but never took one.

2. My kids are young adults.

3. Swimming or baths were out for me until incisions fully healed. I think 4 weeks but don't have my notebook near me.

My experience was that there was no way I could take care of my little one during the first week. I was zapped from the anesthesia and pain meds. If you can get someone to stay with you, that would be ideal but everyone is different post-op. Good luck!

Hello' date='

My surgery date is July 5th and I am starting to get really nervous. I have a few questions about the first few weeks post op...

1) Nausea. I can handle pain, but nausea will shut me down for sure. How many of you had it and for how long?

2) Kids. I have a four year old daughter who is going to want to play outside, go to the park, etc. Were you able to care for your kids without help the first week or two?

3) Water. Not for drinking but swimming. How long before you were able to be in a swimming pool or river? I live in a really hot part of Cali and I love my Water play!

Thank you so much for your advice.cdfc4[/quote']

I only felt nausea in recovery. Was given meds and had no further problems. Caring for kids should be fine after a few days but I was given lifting restrictions for several weeks. As far as water play (it is my fave too) I was initially told two weeks restriction but after reading of folks who got infections well into their third week I decided to wait until my incisions were COMPLETELY closed before getting into the water (4 weeks total).

ok...nausea didnt have any at all...

I am a parent of 3 rangeing in age from 3-17 and I was able to care for them just fine no probs.

swimming as soon as my incisions were healed...10 days out for me before I took a bath or went swimming...(not to worry I did shower, LOL)

Hello,

3) Water. Not for drinking but swimming. How long before you were able to be in a swimming pool or river? I live in a really hot part of Cali and I love my Water play!

Thank you so much for your advice.

I stayed the night. I had nausea from the time I woke up from surgery till about 3am the next morning. But they have like ten options for nausea. I never threw up.

I would've never been able to care for a child. I could not even bend to feed the dog. Get help. Better to arrange help everyday for the first week. And just have it incase you need it

As for pool. I did not get cleared for pool until six weeks out as infections can occur. However each doctor is different. I suggest a sprinkler. Lol. I hope this helps. By the way. When I woke up. I had nooooo idea how bad the gas pain was. Incisions did not hurt bad at all. The gas in chest felt like I was going to explode. I had not been on this board before surgery so I wasn't expecting that. I wish you well

Surgery date 5-28

I had no nausea

I have a 22month old and 3.5 yr old. The older one understood mommy had owies and to be careful but my little guy didnt. I was also told no lifting for first 2 wks, which was impossible with the little one. Thank goodness i had help.

As far as Water, i am exactly 1 month post op and have yet to submerge in Water because i had insision issues and they wouldnt heal so i still have them bandaged. But my friend who had surgery the same day was able to swim at about 10 days. So everyone is different.

I also had a hard time bending over due to pain, which i dont know if that is common for others but its something else to think about since you will need to be bending over picking up toys and such

Swimming or baths were out for me until incisions fully healed. I think 4 weeks but don't have my notebook near me.

Now this concerns me. Does his include showering too?? ????????

No you can shower. Just don't submerge your incision in Water

Thank goodness.

Now this concerns me. Does his include showering too?? ?de35?de35

Good idea to keep your back to the shower spray the first few times. I didn't scrub my incision area but just let the soap suds run over it and do their thing!

When is your surgery? If it is during the summer you are in luck. If you do not have any family to take care of your children during the day id suggest getting a mother's helper. This could be someone off for the summer in high school. You can pay them less than a babysitter because you would technically be there to supervise.

Nausea day of, never since.

Was told can take showers on day three I believe, but was also told don't run the Water directly on incisions to often, so I'm guessing no swimming for a bit.... Also told stay off my bicycle for six weeks post op, takes that long to fully heal and don't wanna push things, so about four more weeks

When is your surgery? If it is during the summer you are in luck. If you do not have any family to take care of your children during the day id suggest getting a mother's helper. This could be someone off for the summer in high school. You can pay them less than a babysitter because you would technically be there to supervise.

My surgery is July 5th. That is a great idea!