Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question about the Soups and pudding and such. My nut wants me to use their products they sell but they are soooo expensive. How do I go about saying I need cheaper options. The surgery is expensive enough then buying 7 Protein Shakes for 15 when I need 3 a day. Can't do it. Also the soups and puddings are like 12 a box. I thought I could buy cream soups and add unflavored Protein? ?? Help!!!

Just open your mouth and tell them! Let them know that you want to follow their guidelines, but that you will need to shop around and find more cost effective alternatives. You should not be locked into their food plan only. You can't live like that forever!

My daughter had the same issue. They wouldn't budge. They offered a payment plan. They also do labs before and after surgery to check nutritional levels - so don't lie and say you are using them. Be honest! If you can't afford the payment plan - ask if you can purchase store brands and take Vitamin supplements. Good luck!

I think that is so wrong. They should be able to give you reasonable substitution options. My nut offered their products but gave you suggestions of products available in the stores as well. I ended up using all store bought items because I didn't have the $ to pay for their over priced products.

I have a question about the Soups and pudding and such. My nut wants me to use their products they sell but they are soooo expensive. How do I go about saying I need cheaper options. The surgery is expensive enough then buying 7 Protein shakes for 15 when I need 3 a day. Can't do it. Also the soups and puddings are like 12 a box. I thought I could buy cream soups and add unflavored Protein? ?? Help!!!

I am struggling with this as well. My NUT is not pushy which is great. I did buy a few things and I am thinking about getting my

Vitamins there. What do they about their products exactly ??' The next time I go there I am going to see how it is. If I am uncomfortable as far as her pushing items off on me that will be the last time I am going there. Did you look at the Bariatric Advantage website ??

My Dr and nut do not even sell it,

they say as long as its 100% whey get it where you can, thats crazy makes you think they are only wanting the extra money

My office offers a line of nutritional products, but they don't push it. I've never bought anything from them. I also think it's wrong. I don't think their products should be a requirement. It's like buying a car and requiring you to take it to the dealer (where they charge and arm and a leg) rather than whoever you want.

I'd definitely say something...

I did tell her I was using a different Protein Drink but she said I definetly need the Protein Bars which are 15 for a box of 7. I bought 2 then took the box to Walmart and got Protein bars that are as close as possible for 5 for 5. I am gonna talk more to her aty pre op when she does the bod pod. As of now I am not working only my hubby and we have 2 children I can't afford their food. I will be looking for injury preotein powder and I got the power Protein Drinks from costco and I found some chocolate powder protein at Costco also for 75 drinks it's 50.... I say that's good :) I just hate telling her sorry I need other options please I can't afford this.

Just like everyone above stated..you just need to be up front bout it, otherwise she will never stop pushing it on you. Good luck

I have a question about the Soups and pudding and such. My nut wants me to use their products they sell but they are soooo expensive. How do I go about saying I need cheaper options. The surgery is expensive enough then buying 7 Protein shakes for 15 when I need 3 a day. Can't do it. Also the soups and puddings are like 12 a box. I thought I could buy cream soups and add unflavored Protein? ?? Help!!!

Don't you guys think its almost like a conflict of interest with them pushing you to buy their products. Like a used car salesman, (dont want to offend anyone) Shouldn't they be more interested in your nutrition? And success? My nut gave me a list of best Proteins with where to buy them. Very helpful. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this.

Not a conflict of interest. If they sold Cookies, cakes, candy ... now that would be. They are interested in your nutrition! These products are "meal replacements" and are not the same as the store brands. They are medically formulated with the right amount of Protein, fat, carbs, sodium and Vitamins. They can be given to overweight individuals to help them lose fast, maintain good blood sugar levels, stave off hunger, yet maintain good health going into surgery. I considered the money I would save NOT buying groceries, eating out, Vitamin supplements & the simplicity of use to offset the cost. That said: if u just can't afford them, then tell them. You will have to purchase the proper vitamins and find nutritionally sound Meal Replacements.< /p>

Not a conflict of interest. If they sold Cookies, cakes, candy ... now that would be. They are interested in your nutrition! These products are "meal replacements" and are not the same as the store brands. They are medically formulated with the right amount of Protein, fat, carbs, sodium and Vitamins. They can be given to overweight individuals to help them lose fast, maintain good blood sugar levels, stave off hunger, yet maintain good health going into surgery. I considered the money I would save NOT buying groceries, eating out, Vitamin supplements & the simplicity of use to offset the cost. That said: if u just can't afford them, then tell them. You will have to purchase the proper vitamins and find nutritionally sound meal replacements.

Not a conflict of interest. If they sold cookies' date=' cakes, candy ... now that would be. They are interested in your nutrition! These products are "meal replacements" and are not the same as the store brands. They are medically formulated with the right amount of Protein, fat, carbs, sodium and Vitamins. They can be given to overweight individuals to help them lose fast, maintain good blood sugar levels, stave off hunger, yet maintain good health going into surgery. I considered the money I would save NOT buying groceries, eating out, Vitamin supplements & the simplicity of use to offset the cost. That said: if u just can't afford them, then tell them. You will have to purchase the proper Vitamins and find nutritionally sound meal replacements.[/quote']

You are correct. However, there are any number of valid options out there, including getting high quality Protein powders and getting your Vitamin and mineral supplements separately, as you mentioned. I do think it's wrong when a surgeon's office insists you can only use the products purchased through them for which they make a profit, when there are valid alternatives which will meet your needs effectively at a more affordable price. At that point I wonder if I would really choose to use them, as they are clearly not focused on the patient.

Note that I have no issues with products being offered and recommended, or that they make a profit when you purchase through them. My issue is with the insistence that you can ONLY use their products.

My bariatric center offers Bariatric Advantage products, but does not require them. I was told about some alternatives to check out, as well as a rundown on what I should look for in my own investigations.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I agree that they should be recommended but not required. I'm glad to hear that some NUT give alternatives.

I think you are right. So when I go for my pre op and bod pod I will tell her I need other options because I will not be buying their stuff. Any good websites to order off of for Protein Shakes, powder and Vitamins? ?