Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting caffeine before surgery

So I have only had one caffeine drink today. Whew...this is tough... How many days did it take you to quit? How long do the headaches last? I don't plan to reinstate my caffeine after surgery.

Caffeine wasn't so bad, just headaches for a day. Carbonation was MUCH harder, ironically enough...

I've got 3 12 packs of Coke Zero, and an unopened bag of coffee in my pantry... 5 weeks till surgery. My plan was to slowly wean myself off of Caffeine. I just can't get myself to start. Caffeine is my "drug" of choice. They say if you have an addictive personality you'll give up one addiction and find another. My Boyfriend's hoping I develop an addiction for sex. I'm hoping it's exercise. His response was "is there any better form of exercise?". I'm still gonna miss my coffee :(

I did the same thing six weeks before my surgery. I promise it will get easier. I'm now seven months post op and still no caffeine. :). Hang in there, it's so worth it!!!

It took me about a month to quit Diet Coke. It wasn't easy. I stepped down my use of caffeine (coffee), but didn't give it up until I had to fast for the surgery.

Yeah, giving up that caffeine really does SUCK! I gave up most caffeine (except one cup of morning coffee) and carbonated drinks over 3 weeks ago, and this past Monday was my first day of giving up that last morning cup. It wasn't as bad as I thought, although it would be nice to have it. Maybe some day post-op after my sleeve has healed sufficiently.

Who knows? Maybe I won't even like it then.

I tried really hard to give up drinking Cokes and having my morning coffee before surgery. I didn't do so well. Now that I'm post-op, I haven't had a Coke and really don't want one. I tried drinking Decaf coffee but my stomach doesn't like it at all. I can have regular coffee but I only drink it on the weekends if I'm not having a sugar-free hot chocolate instead.

My hats off to you guys that can cut it out completely and not want to go back. I've noticed that if I drink ice tea (unsweet) that has caffeine in it, it makes the acid in my stomach act up and I have to take something for it. It sucks because if I'm on the road traveling for work, that's about the only type of ice tea that I can find in places because they don't always have the bottled kind I like.

Keep up the good work!

I quit caffeine two weeks before I started the liquid pre surgery diet. That worked for me. I just quit and then started the liquid diet. I recommend getting that under control first. The liquid diet was hard enough for me. I am 4 months out and no soda cravings. I was a huge diet soda drinker before my surgery. Good luck. soon it wont seem like a big deal at all. :)

I quit the week before my preop diet because I knew I would already be battling with not eating lol. So I didn't feel great for 3 weeks but I think I would have felt worse if I tried during my preop diet. I don't want soda by the way. I am trying hard enough to ge liquids in that Soda is not appealing at all. I did have Decaf coffee in the hospital which tasted great but you have to balance that with Water and Protein so I don't think I will go back to having coffee every day.

I'm still 5+ months away from my surgery, but I've managed to give up sodas by substituting it with a big mug of ice with a little Water in it. I chew on the ice all day and sip on the water as it melts. I didn't have any headaches and my soda cravings have totally vanished. I was a diet coke addict, and switched to diet Mountain Dew, and then to the water. I'm trying to start getting in a bit more exercise, but at my size....it is very difficult and joint pain is horrible.

May I ask, why do u hafta give up caffeine? I posed this? Yestterday about giving up my coffee and all the repliers said that they still drink coffee.

Its weird how the same question asked twice gets such different answers..

Hmmmm...

May I ask' date=' why do u hafta give up caffeine? I posed this? Yestterday about giving up my coffee and all the repliers said that they still drink coffee.

Its weird how the same question asked twice gets such different answers..

Hmmmm...[/quote']

Which is why you need to follow your drs orders. Each Dr is so different and each has such different pre and post op instructions.

From my understanding caffeine can cause stomach irritation so in the healing phase they say to eliminate it. Most people are addicted to soda or coffee. Since yiu can't drink it for X amount of weeks postop most people wean themselves off of it before the liquid diet. Those that are addicted to sodas (like me, McDonald's coke) I had to cut it out early so I wasn't dealing with liquid diet and nasty headaches. Also those that drink soda need to get used get used to no carbonation. Sometimes I think i liked carbonation more than the soda itself. After the first 6 weeks post op (give or tske), once healed coffee drinkers typically go back to their one cup a day and I haven't heard of many problems postop.

But again this is just my take on it. My instructions just say no caffeine the first 6 weeks. But no carbonation ever.

No idea if this helps you at all....

Vitamin B12 saved me from climbing the walls when I gave up caffeine.

1500 micrograms of sublingual B12, and I never had a single headache or jittery moment. I quit all caffeine cold turkey--easiest detox ever!

Thanks for all of the advice and stories! My doc said to quit caffeine because it is a diuretic. I currently drink 6-8 diet Pepsi a day which I know both the caffeine and aspartame are horrible for me anyway, so I'm giving them up on my journey to be healthier. I only had 2 today so I'm hoping I can get down to one tomorrow and then none on Monday!!

Good luck.....luckily coffee isn't an isse 4 me....but I've given up soda.....might as well since it is a no no after wls