Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol/Social drinking

Hello, I wanted to ask about the rules and experiences with people who are sleeved and drinking alcohol.

I am planning to get sleeved. I am a social drinker and drink about 2-3 times a month and typically drink 4 glasses of wine or 3 to 4 cocktails.

I understand alcohol is empty calories.

Could drinking alcohol on occasion hurt the sleeve? How long until after you ate sleeved can you drink?

Thanks!!!

My doctor says no alcohol forever and I signed something to that effect.. You will get responses from people who have had no issues with an occasional drink. Besides the carbs, my doctor stated some statistics related to people who have weight reduction surgery turning their food addiction to an alcohol addiction. In fact there was someone on this site struggling with that problem.

I was not told no alcohol ever but I was told to wait until 6 months. I'm not much of an alcohol drinker so it didn't really concern me. I'm one of those people who might drink once a month and have 2 or maybe 3 glasses of wine if it's a really long evening.

I was told to avoid it the first 6 months. I have found drinking alcohol does guarantee me a STALL...sometimes for up to a week. I try to avoid it now, not just because of the empty cals, but because of the frustrating stalls afterwards.

I am not a heavy drinker, maybe one night every few months or an occasional beer (slowly consumed) but I have not had a problem with it. I usually try to stick to a whisky and diet (very little carbonation when mixed properly) so i have not had a problem. My doctor said wait until 18 months out but I think that was more for weight loss maximization. My doctor's office wants you to be at goal by 18 months and going out drinking could derail your progress and their statistics!

I have a half glass of wine from time to time... No issues (knock on wood) and I'm still losing 4-5lbs/week. Every body type is different but my support group I go to at UCSD there are many people who have occasional wine or even nightly and with the proper diet it has not affected anything.

Take this with a grain of salt however and I would suggest listening to your doctor.

Thank you all for responding.

I know myself and turning to alcohol is not a potentional problem.

I can live without certain foods but I like to have drinks once in awhile. So from what I understand aside from calories and not loosing weight, the sleeve is not affected from occasional social drinking.

Since the surgery may 21 I have not eaten anything bad, Snacks, candy, sweets all of it is gone out the window, but wine....hm... that´s another story. I love to zip a glass of cold white wine in the evening. I have turned to light wine with little alcohol. I only have a small glass a few times a week and I enjoy it so much.

I had my first glass last week at 4 weeks post op. I just had 1 glass of white wine, sipped it slow and everything was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had a glass of champagne with my wife during our 25th anniversary celebration dinner while we were away but nothing before or afterwards. That marked the first time I've had a glass of anything which wasn't Water or more than a sip of my wife's cocktail.

Couldn't touch it for at least 2 months. Was fine with whatever. I do enjoy red wine from time to time now. And it's been fine