Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I hadn't seen this forum....

HBP, high lipids, knees and hips hurt, trouble with stairs and walking...

complications are rare but they happen

mattui86

OMG

3 months you have been going dealing with all these problems :(

i am so very sorry you had complications :(

i hope things start to work out/improve sooner than later

best wishes towards your improved health :)

kathy

I thought complications were rare.

AmyInOrlando

it is best to know both sides of the coin, the good, the bad, and the ugly :angry:

there are replies/comments to posts concerning complications during and after WLS

its sad when you hear about these issues :(

i/we sometimes feel guilty that our surgery experience has been so successful, while others had problems :(

the posts that tell of hardships - stick out in your mind like a sore thumb

but.............. the percentage of these problems compared to success are low

many, many, many etc. people come here and within their replies/answers to a post they will exclaim how very happy they are, and how they had such an amazing recovery

that being said - hopefully/probably all things to come for you will be good :)

sleevers come to the board saying, "this is the best thing they ever did for themselves"

you made the initial wise decision to have WLS :)

don't second guess yourself

good luck

happy, speedy recovery

kathy

Proudgrammy

Thank you for your well wishes. I saw my new surgeon (original one didn't work out too well) on tue at the er after I woke up with some blood in my spit (scary) and he said that could be a sign that my abscesses could be almost gone since it happened when my mom was flushing my drain, so I'm hoping that when I go to my appointment on monday he has a day set up for a ct scan and an endoscopy soon after, he's hoping the leak will heal itself before trying a stent. I wanna write my whole story on here but I'm waiting until it's all over so it can have a happy ending hehe

I can completely understand your fear, and I am going to be sleeved on August 19. However, I choose to look at all of the AMAZING before-and-after photos that people post on this site, they are SO motivating and really inspirational! As with any major surgery, there is always the risk of complications. Even people that follow orders precisely can have difficulties. Try to read more of the success stories on the site—trust me, they're fantastic!—and remember that it was easy to get ourselves into this situation, and getting out of it won't be! But the results in the long run—being able to do things you aren't currently able to, keep up with friends and family, be healthy and live an even better life—are worth it.

Good luck to you! :)

Guest Jason Cody

I had surgery on the 24th of June. I did not have any complications during surgery or after surgery. I went home the next day; 6 days out and still not any complications at all. I hope this eases your mind a bit.

I was scared of having a stroke or heart attack since both run in my family. Plus I have high BP, high triglycerides, insulin resistance, hypothyroid, PCOS and had tried everything for so many years and could not get the weight off. I was not living life and the thought of rolling on toward increasing health problems was what motivated me to attend a WLS seminar. The risk of continuing down the path of certain early death outweighed the risks that VSG had compared with the possibility of a longer life with immensely improved health and quality. I sincerely hope that those who experienced complications will recover and enjoy the fruits of their labor in the end. Everyone deserves the healthier outcome that this surgery can provide. I am looking forward to my next visit with my surgeon (3 month post surgical) as he will check my labs at that time. I am so hoping to have normal cholesterol levels and be able to discontinue my BP meds (already cut in half!).

Just look inside your heart and ask yourself if you can live with any comorbidities or possible side effects of your current weight or medications or if you are willing to take the plunge- risks and all - to give yourself a healthier future with this tool. You have to be willing to follow through by committing to a new lifestyle that does not involve food as a stress-reliever or reward system. And you have to make exercise an important part of your new lifestyle. Otherwise, this surgery (and it is not easy) could be all for nothing. I really loved food before and don't hate it now. I just look at the quality and type of food I put into my body as I love my life even more.

Good luck with your decision and know that you will have support here whatever it may be.

Amyinorlando, first let me congratulate you on your decision to have WLS . You have definitely made a wise choice in Dr. Alvarez .... He was my surgeon as well and I have nothing but good things to say about him and his staff!! Even though I followed everything to a T , I did have some complications.... Mind you , they were fixable. As far as being worried about having a complication and doing surgery in Mexico, Dr. Alvarez is the one who took care of me.... a month out I called him and arrangements were made for me to fly back to Mexico.... all I had to pay for was my plane ticket!!! He is an awesome doctor and even more an amazing man. Good luck with your journey and God Bless.

Tina

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My only concern is in a medical emergency, I may not be able to fly back to MX. Hopefully my medical insurance will cover any complications even if they wouldn't cover the surgery. At least if they decline payment, I can contest based on medical necessity. I couldn't contest their policy that I had to be employed by the hospital for 24 consecutive months before they'd even consider approval. Insurance companies suck !!

Here's the deal....complications are quite rare and most everyone will do great. The 1st few weeks after surgery can be a real drag but it gets easier and better with each passing week.

I would certainly not recommend anyone disregarding their doctor's orders as far as recovery guidelines, but having made that disclaimer - I made my own choices as far as diet, when I would advance to solid foods etc. Some of those posting replies on this thread warned me that I would get a leak, I would fail at losing weight, and that I'd always be hungry. Here we are 4 mos. later and I find that my weight loss is inline with others at the same point post op, I never got a leak, I have never thrown up - not once, and I'm never hungry. All of my "leak causing" behaviors never caused me one minute of problems. I'm not losing hair either:)

Don't worry about possible complications. It's not worth doubting what this surgery can do for you. While it can be frustrating at times, it works and in a few months you have better than a 90 percent chance of being complication free and feeling great.

I thought complications were rare. - just have to hope and pray I'm one of the lucky ones.....

Amy

i see B) you had surgery one week ago today (8/1/13)

how did it go????

hope things are moving along with out many problems

having basic issues like gas, "alittle" vomitting, problems drinking Water - and being a little sore are all common :angry:

i wouldn't count them as "complications" :mellow:

even though they make you feel bad - side effect from WLS - things hopefully will smooth out sooner than later :)

ups and downs are to be expected - but you are on the road to a healthier, happier, longer life!!! :)

since you started this thread with your understandable concerns - hope you reply telling us things are going well :)

speedy recovery :)

good luck

kathy

Nursegrace' date=' flying out of the country is not the problem. There are many excellent surgeons in other countries. In fact, I chose Dr Aceves because I trust him more than any other surgeon here in the U.S. With a budget of 20K I could have chosen anyone, but the technique of some surgeons in the US had me running scared.

Do your homework, and don't look for a bargain or assume just because a surgeon is expensive that he is good. For Mexican and American doctors alike, do your research and make sure he is experienced and has a great track record (as close to 0% leak rate as you can get, etc). The more sleeves he has done, the fewer complications are likely to result from the surgery.[/quote']

How do u find out that information on your Dr? Like how many leaks he has?