Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering if you have been tested for any medical issues as to why you cant drop weight or is it just purely over eating? My insurance requires me to lose 10% (30 lbs for me) over the course of a 6 month program. I am 43 and have struggled with food addiction, emotional eating etc I have enough knowledge to be a Nutritionist myself lol but hence I reached my high weight of 293 this past year. I have wanted surgery since 2004 but unlike you I have not been able to live the dream nor have had the money to self pay, but thankfully my job switched insurance companies this past January so hell yeah I have struggled to lose the required weight and yes every day it is a struggle and most days I go over but I do log everything in My Fitness Pal keeping track of my calories.. Im not going to say hey if I can do it you can to but if money is not a problem for you and dont want to lose the weight head south of the boarder, there are a lot of positive mexico stories on here....if not your gonna be 40 something and feeling like your 60 something

Also the is Overeaters Anonymous if you really feel you need help...its free and you will be welcomed no matter what your issues...good luck

I can really identify with your distress over the pre op weight loss. I tried many approaches for years without success. However once I committed myself to doing this surgery I have been able to lose weight. I was 455 march 1 and last week I was 395.5. You will find an approach that works for you! My approach was 1500 cal or less a day, 90 g of Protein a day. I've started walking daily now that I have had some positive success. I think the reason this worked for me is I tried to select foods that I really liked that were not too high in cal and had some protein. Also I fill out myfitnesspal menu the day in advance in order to minimize spur of the moment food decisions. I know you've probably heard of these things already, but if you keep trying you will make some good luck for yourself. Thanks for sharing your experience, and we are all with you! Sirbrewz.

My insurance does not offer any kind of WLS coverage at all. As a matter when I called about it the girl at the insurance company asked my info and then proceeded to tell me I wasn't fat enough anyways..... I thought well geez that's real nice. I looked at self pay in the US and just knew I could never afford it. So I started looking at surgeons in Mexico. ( I tried to talk a friend out of this option until I did the research) my story is on another thread called my journey with a lighter me. Anyways it cost me $4650 to go to Mexico and get it done. A friend and I got it done together. They even offer financing. I used my tax return. My surgeon was Dr.Lopez @ a lighter me.

Good luck on your journey!! If you want something bad enough you will get it!!! If you have any questions about how it was feel free to contact me.

This surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself !!! I was sleeved on May 23rd and am down 23.5 lbs. do whatever you need to do and get this done for yourself. Your depression will turn into self confidence !!!! I can't say enough good things about my surgery !!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Just wondering if you have been tested for any medical issues as to why you cant drop weight or is it just purely over eating? My insurance requires me to lose 10% (30 lbs for me) over the course of a 6 month program. I am 43 and have struggled with food addiction, emotional eating etc I have enough knowledge to be a Nutritionist myself lol but hence I reached my high weight of 293 this past year. I have wanted surgery since 2004 but unlike you I have not been able to live the dream nor have had the money to self pay, but thankfully my job switched insurance companies this past January so hell yeah I have struggled to lose the required weight and yes every day it is a struggle and most days I go over but I do log everything in My Fitness Pal keeping track of my calories.. Im not going to say hey if I can do it you can to but if money is not a problem for you and dont want to lose the weight head south of the boarder, there are a lot of positive Mexico stories on here....if not your gonna be 40 something and feeling like your 60 something

Also the is Overeaters Anonymous if you really feel you need help...its free and you will be welcomed no matter what your issues...good luck

You are all so helpful & supportive, thank you. It's always so great to hear "you're not alone". My doctor put the kibosh on any shakes or Protein supplements, but I am thinking I might just need to "creatively document" those meals for my food diary (aka My Fitness Pal- so awesome-seriously-it is amazing).

I kinda felt like OA was weird after I mentioned my intention to have the surgery. And maybe it was just the meeting I was at, but did you ever feel like, idk, judged or something? B/c I know that's not the point of OA meetings, but the people at my meeting seemed pretty anti-WLS?

Well as a "NOT SLEEVED YETTER", It is very important to take that extra weight off prior to getting approved.

1. It shows a commitment to bettering yourself.

2. It is putting you into a "new" routine to help you make the LIFE changes that are necessary when you get sleeved.

3. If you have some weigh off, your surgery and your recovery will be much easier.

You should follow the diet that your doctor/and or dietician gives you. Remember they are the experts.

Secondly, you must have some type of physical activity incorporated into your lifestyle.

These are the keys to success for WLS